In Defense of OZ

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
America just provided Australia w/nuke sub technology.
Seems both wanted to send a message to China.
Hope its not necessary...

ddifof

OTF status
May 11, 2005
They provide the promise that Australia will have access to nuclear powered submarines replacing the diesel/electric subs the French was going to provide. Afaik, Australia is not a nuclear power and has no strategic nuclear missiles or bombs of their own so these future (10 years at least before the first one would be available) subs will have no nuclear missiles launch capabilities

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Do you really expect people who don't know the difference between Australia and Austria to be able to discern between nuclear-powered submarines and submarines armed with nuclear weapons?

Reactions: ddifof

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
I believe it was in the mid 1980s when I was on a business trip to Oz and NZ and the New Zealand government at tghe time forbid a nuclear powered (or perhaps armed, I forget) US Navy ship from entering NZ water and ports. The paper quoted the Prime Minister, words to the effect, “If the mayor of New York City can deny US nuclear ships, so can we.”

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I didn't realize that NYC had that policy

that sort of makes sense

austard

Michael Peterson status
Nov 12, 2009
State of Grace
I'm pretty sure Nimitz class ships don't enter Sydney harbour because of constricted passage. I have seen the U.S.S. Wasp tied up fairly close to the Opera house and that is a pretty large vessel. I am unsure if Nuclear powered American ships are banned here as a port decision or at a national level because I have seen the Kitty Hawk tied up in Fremantle Perth years ago. I'm unsure if there is a distinction as to how nuclear powered or nuclear armed American, British, French, Indian or French vessels are treated when requesting port here. I am always happy to see American sailors here and go out of my way to treat them well.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
An Italian built the first reactor. I think he was Fermi.

p.s. Fiats are f*cked.

Enrico Fermi was Italian citizen until he....ummm, until the USA didn't want him going anywhere else and naturalized him into USA citizenship for the best years of his, whoa, short life...only 53? Thanks for helping make USA great, Mr. Fermi, sorry for only 10 yrs.

1631911329921.png.