Imperial Beach "permanent" closure + Coronado? San Diego County bigtime SNAFU...

austard

Michael Peterson status
Nov 12, 2009
State of Grace
Do the SEAL's require a peninsular with 1 side surf facing for specific training???

Are there any other geographic locations where this can take place???

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Do the SEAL's require a peninsular with 1 side surf facing for specific training???

Are there any other geographic locations where this can take place???
It is not so simple. Theoretically yes. Logistically and economically, no. The EIS for that new base looked at alternate locations but there is much more to consider than training areas in close proximity. Access to housing, schools, health care and social support entities for the families are the main drivers. You cant just pick up the west coast special warfare units and plop them down in the cornfields of Iowa.

Reactions: austard

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
It is difficult for the Navy to prove dirty water has negatively impacted the mission. There was a 60 minute story about the sewage problem a few years ago and the new SEAL base down by IB and that was a prime opportunity to get some movement. Nada.
What's infuriating is that in 2020 the Trump admin renegotiated NAFTA and that was supposed to trigger a lot of funding from both sides of the border to finally address the situation. I guess COVID happened and nothing got done....
I'll ask around to what excuses were made to keep kicking the can down the road....

Reactions: sdsrfr and Havoc

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Used to be the TJ Sloughs (pictured) was the only problem, and that was bad enough. Then they built that sewage plant at Bandera and now it's worse.

1656452736230.png

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
What's infuriating is that in 2020 the Trump admin renegotiated NAFTA and that was supposed to trigger a lot of funding from both sides of the border to finally address the situation. I guess COVID happened and nothing got done....
I'll ask around to what excuses were made to keep kicking the can down the road....
Yes, the USMCA had $300M in it for border sewage infrastructure. It was not abundantly clear exactly where that funding was to go, CA or Texas. My understanding is they are still fighting over where it will go. Regardless, studies would have to be prepared that would inform design and all of that would take 2-3 years. And improvements could take another 1-2 years. $300M is nothing. Costs for federal projects (any project really) have doubled and maybe even tripled in just the last 5 years. Whatever they were planning to do they are going to need more money or have to do less. $40-50B is needed to fix this. Complete overhaul of Tijuanas water and sewage system.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Yes, the USMCA had $300M in it for border sewage infrastructure. It was not abundantly clear exactly where that funding was to go, CA or Texas. My understanding is they are still fighting over where it will go. Regardless, studies would have to be prepared that would inform design and all of that would take 2-3 years. And improvements could take another 1-2 years. $300M is nothing. Costs for federal projects (any project really) have doubled and maybe even tripled in just the last 5 years. Whatever they were planning to do they are going to need more money or have to do less. $40-50B is needed to fix this. Complete overhaul of Tijuanas water and sewage system.
I just got off the phone with a friend to basically write the above.... He is pretty confident that the money will go to the San Diego/TJ region.
They allotted $300 mil to be paid out over 4 years in increments of $75 mil/yr. The goal is to expand the existing border plant, improve conveyance and trash diversion systems, upgrade TJs collection system and build a new plant in TJ. All of this is under (and will be for years) EPA assessment.
As GBG noted above, it will take 10s of billions of $$$ to truly address this issue. A big chunk of the $300 mil will be wasted on 3-5 years of feasibility studies before any real design/engineering work will get started (i.e. a couple of agencies and a few select consultants are going to milk this for all they can and we'll be left with a set of outdated plans and no budget...).
The whole situation is FUBAR and unnecessary. Today, Newsom could be lobbing the State's legislature to release 1/2 of the much ballyhooed surplus to get this done. Unfortunately for us, he won't because he's an A-hole.
This is a prime PPP/DBO project that could be fast tracked if our elected "leaders" decided to do something that would benefit the people. Unfortunately, they won't because they don't care about those brown people along the border. All that noted, now that Coronado (monied white people) will be adversely effected, we may see some action in the next 5-10 years but I'm not going to hold my breath for a Sloughs surf off any time soon.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I just got off the phone with a friend to basically write the above.... He is pretty confident that the money will go to the San Diego/TJ region.
They allotted $300 mil to be paid out over 4 years in increments of $75 mil/yr. The goal is to expand the existing border plant, improve conveyance and trash diversion systems, upgrade TJs collection system and build a new plant in TJ. All of this is under (and will be for years) EPA assessment.
As GBG noted above, it will take 10s of billions of $$$ to truly address this issue. A big chunk of the $300 mil will be wasted on 3-5 years of feasibility studies before any real design/engineering work will get started (i.e. a couple of agencies and a few select consultants are going to milk this for all they can and we'll be left with a set of outdated plans and no budget...).
The whole situation is FUBAR and unnecessary. Today, Newsom could be lobbing the State's legislature to release 1/2 of the much ballyhooed surplus to get this done. Unfortunately for us, he won't because he's an A-hole.
This is a prime PPP/DBO project that could be fast tracked if our elected "leaders" decided to do something that would benefit the people. Unfortunately, they won't because they don't care about those brown people along the border. All that noted, now that Coronado (monied white people) will be adversely effected, we may see some action in the next 5-10 years but I'm not going to hold my breath for a Sloughs surf off any time soon.
In all fairness the brown peoples along the border are reaping what they’ve sown. Tijuana is a festering mess and that’s not news to anybody. The municipal system is as corrupt as they come in Mexico and that speaks for itself.

Good luck.

I’m glad to see Serge in the mix, good guy, IB is lucky to have him.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Serge for Governor!

You are correct but that doesn't make it right for us to allow a decades long environmental disaster continue unfettered.
It's the brown people on the north side of the Frontera that are suffering too. The whole stretch from the fence to now Coronado is a slick of $hit. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a plume of contaminants lowing into the South Bay screwing up Chula Vista and National City bay front and marinas.
It's a mess and has been for years.

• Wow
Reactions: keenfish

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Serge was liked and respected even by Conservatives in IB. He said and did a few things in the last few years that really pissed alot of people off. Champion for managed retreat. And he said publically during BLM protests that IB was full of white supremacists.

Geopac

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 28, 2003
Ballast Point
Serge was liked and respected even by Conservatives in IB. He said and did a few things in the last few years that really pissed alot of people off. Champion for managed retreat. And he said publically during BLM protests that IB was full of white supremacists.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure to paddle out with my MAGA hat and stuff him good next tropical swell in IB.
:shameonyou:

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I don't care I like the guy. He is not afraid to speak the truth. Managed retreat is the sanest approach. People have to understand that nature will take your home away at some point if you build on the edge. You get what you get. Anyone that buys on the beach or a cliff should assume that at some point your building may get taken away by nature. To think otherwise is pure hubris.
IB has always been known for it's intolerance issues. It was a pretty tough town prior to the mid 80s or so. Even then, you got out of the water changed your clothes and split.
It's an odd town and could be a great destination but you'll die there if you go there.

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
It's been pretty telling when many of the locals don't care for Serge in IB. He is terming out this Fall and I imagine he will try and pull a Bilbray and move up the political food chain.

Like Gary said, what the region was awarded is a drop in the bucket of fixing the overall problem. This problem has been going on for far too long and we already know what the problems are. We don't need any more reports and the consultants, with their mouths salivating over the money, need too get fvcked.

Punta Bandera should be getting worked on ASAP and a majority of the waste should be funneled miles out into no-man's land and repurposed.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
I don't care I like the guy. He is not afraid to speak the truth. Managed retreat is the sanest approach. People have to understand that nature will take your home away at some point if you build on the edge. You get what you get. Anyone that buys on the beach or a cliff should assume that at some point your building may get taken away by nature. To think otherwise is pure hubris.
IB has always been known for it's intolerance issues. It was a pretty tough town prior to the mid 80s or so. Even then, you got out of the water changed your clothes and split.
It's an odd town and could be a great destination but you'll die there if you go there.
I will assume you don't own property in IB?

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I will assume you don't own property in IB?
Nope, nor do/or would I anywhere where there is a chance that a natural disaster short of a massive earthquake or rouge hurricane will destroy or reclaim my home.
If you think the IB beachfront owners are anti managed retreat, they got nothing on the Del Mar beachfront owners. Richest in world and want you the tax payer to save their houses. Idiots.
Cliffs erode/fall down and storms and tides sweep the beaches clean. Nothing is permanent on the coast.

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
Nope, nor do/or would I anywhere where there is a chance that a natural disaster short of a massive earthquake or rouge hurricane will destroy or reclaim my home.
If you think the IB beachfront owners are anti managed retreat, they got nothing on the Del Mar beachfront owners. Richest in world and want you the tax payer to save their houses. Idiots.
Cliffs erode/fall down and storms and tides sweep the beaches clean. Nothing is permanent on the coast.
"Nothing is permanent on the coast." Except Del Mar parking enforcement! 365 days a year/ 24 hours a day!

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
We had a couple days of no signs up but filthy again all week. You could even see the color on the Surfline cam. Dark urine color. DMJ for me the rest of summer. Going to make me a weekend warrior plus every other Friday. Cut down on my sessions but I'm not rolling the dice.

Reactions: keenfish