Ifallalot.....we're going to need your input on this.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
another thing my wife does really helps me control my temptations. Every night there’s a ton of fresh veggies prepared in really healthy and really great tasting ways. Most nights I have a very small amount of pasta or rice or quinoa, but fill up on veggies
Plus there’s always fresh carrots peeled and cut for all of us to snack
It’s a ton of time, but it’s worth it to her, and the family can all feel plenty full without overdoing calories
And then there’s also the tempting stuff
About to munch on some homemade healthier version of granola that mrs rg makes a different version of every week
Yum
Ya done good mate

Reactions: Ifallalot

Your Moms Dildo

Michael Peterson status
Jan 17, 2014
Next to the Lube

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I know it started off as a goof but it's a good thread.

I'm 10 or so weeks into trying to change my habits. As said before, it's not easy. Not even the slightest. But I hit a point where I was fed up and wanted a change.

Been on a macro, calorie counting diet with basically no alcohol for 8 weeks. It's gnarly. Parts of it are easier than I thought, parts of it, not so much.

I'm trying to adjust my metabolism to change my cravings and desire to gorge myself with food and alcohol. On very low caories per day right now and that part is easier than I thought. Am I getting used to it or adjusting? I don't know, maybe both. But I feel full after a healthy meal where the same meal 6 months ago would have left me searching in the pantry 20 minutes later.

Alcohol is the toughest. I can't believe how I've gotten used to not drinking on the regular and while it feels great most of the time, I also miss it like no other.

My goal is to find a happy medium and increase my fitness. With my weight loss I am more motivated since I don't feel like a slug any more. Actually I feel great. Down 30 pounds and loving it.

But I miss my care free lifestyle, but enough to go back to it? Not at this point.

What's that saying nothing important in life is easy?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
That's awesome sbd!

Dropping 30 pounds in 10 weeks is great.

As far as the booze goes, well, once you get to your target weight and are still exercising on the regular, nothing wrong with knocking back a couple sixers over the weekend. Just behave during the week. Avoid lower leg injuries that will take you out.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

I'm 10 or so weeks into trying to change my habits. As said before, it's not easy. Not even the slightest. But I hit a point where I was fed up and wanted a change.

Been on a macro, calorie counting diet with basically no alcohol for 8 weeks. It's gnarly. Parts of it are easier than I thought, parts of it, not so much.

I'm trying to adjust my metabolism to change my cravings and desire to gorge myself with food and alcohol. On very low caories per day right now and that part is easier than I thought. Am I getting used to it or adjusting? I don't know, maybe both. But I feel full after a healthy meal where the same meal 6 months ago would have left me searching in the pantry 20 minutes later.

Alcohol is the toughest. I can't believe how I've gotten used to not drinking on the regular and while it feels great most of the time, I also miss it like no other.

My goal is to find a happy medium and increase my fitness. With my weight loss I am more motivated since I don't feel like a slug any more. Actually I feel great. Down 30 pounds and loving it.

But I miss my care free lifestyle, but enough to go back to it? Not at this point.

I quit alcohol on MD's advice for a heart condition. I have been able to satisfy my craving by drinking non alcoholic beer. I know it sounds like drinking watered down Coors light, but after a while I got used to it. Try "Clausthauer" at Trader Joes.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Try living with others
Including a wife who wants to make sure we don’t run out of anyone’s favorites
And when the kids favorites are your favorites, that makes it tough to not have your favorites
And then grandkids, can’t run out of ice cream in case the grandkids are here
And then birthday cakes and half birthday cakes
The house always has stuff
No one in my house is overweight. Well, maybe my son, but not terribly
It’s just a constant temptation
Which I don’t do well with when I get high, so I get high less frequently than I’d like
And working from home, when things get stressful, all the things I can binge on are right there for me

but, yeah, if I lived alone, i wouldn’t have all this tempting stuff around

If I lived alone:

1 I would still have a Cal King mattress
2 Less jars of olives than presently
3 Rotating brands of toothpaste
4 No pets
5 Older stereophonic equipment
6 Smaller TV
7 An older more beat-up car and more motorcycles
8 Very few snacks if any. Are tins of sardines and crackers snacks?
9 Be a heck of a lot more lonely and unhappy with how life is going
10 More closet space
11 Fewer nice clothes
12 Go out more often
13 Full fat milk on my granola/oatmeal all the time
14 Succumbed to mobile phone ownership
15 Probably work out more regularly
16 Have a written two week menu that repeats

I have a sweet tooth.

I have found ways to satisfy it without piling on calories. Number one, like VM says, always have a tray of fruit visible. Next best trick- Chocolate Necco wafers.
Wait, what? Necco Wafers? I had no idea they still sold those. By the way, never thought to put these in the regarded candy memory file, but to each their own.:cheers:

1632766640136.png

I definitely do not have a weight problem but because of family history and a heart condition my thresholds for cholesterol and triglycerides are way lower than the average person's. In the last 10 years they've crept close to border line. My doc says the formula they use for deciding when meds are necessary includes age and sooner or later I'll have to take statins. Anyone (60+ years old) have success staying out of the pharmacy?
I thought the new science says the HDL-LDL ratio is the more important number? Or am I misremembering? Probably best to have both the good ratio and the low LDL.

Last edited:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I quit alcohol on MD's advice for a heart condition. I have been able to satisfy my craving by drinking non alcoholic beer. I know it sounds like drinking watered down Coors light, but after a while I got used to it. Try "Clausthauer" at Trader Joes.
Kombucha is good for that too.

(with a shot of tequila)

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

Don't eat less than 10 calories per pound of bodyweight. You don't want to slow down your metabolism for the next year or you'll put the weight back on easily. This happens to bodybuilders who contest diet and it becomes harder and harder to take off fat the more you do it.

Eating a lot of fiber-rich, filling foods like sweet potatoes, potatoes, and vegetables is the way.

Reactions: grapedrink

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
When you build muscle, especially in the lower body, that muscle burns calories 24/7.

So it's not just the calories you burn while exercising.

All this talk about loosing weight, you would think I wasn't a fat fuck. :roflmao:

warble2

Gerry Lopez status
May 5, 2008
I quit drinking and lost 20lbs in 6 weeks with no other changes in lifestyle. Wish I would've done it earlier.

The dry hopped Clausthaler is even better. Tastes like a Sierra Nevada style IPA. Athletic Brewing company makes some great NA options as well. Hell, even the smaller breweries around the PNW are jumping on the non alcoholic trend. Probably a boon in investing options coming if not already here.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I quit drinking and lost 20lbs in 6 weeks with no other changes in lifestyle. Wish I would've done it earlier.

The dry hopped Clausthaler is even better. Tastes like a Sierra Nevada style IPA. Athletic Brewing company makes some great NA options as well. Hell, even the smaller breweries around the PNW are jumping on the non alcoholic trend. Probably a boon in investing options coming if not already here.
Yup.

I lost 30 lbs in 2 months when I quit and then another 10 in following 3 months (I running a lot though).

215 down 175.

I only drink water and coffee.

Reactions: Ifallalot