If you were going to buy a bit of land and build a surf shack in Mexico...

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
I can tell you that through 25+ years in Mexico as a property owner that you’re gonna get fucked. The only questions are for how much, and for how long, and by whom. There’s gonna be more than one. We’ll just call them your new best friends.

Things are more legitimate than they were two decades ago but the bottom line is what you read above. That’s gonna be independent of your nationality. They fook each other for sport, take it from there, you’re fresh meat.

I’d be interested to hear from anyone else that has the same time in grade here that has a different experience. I personally don’t know anyone that has.

:waving:

hahah - so good and TRUE - everyone always asking - why dont you buy land and a houe in Indo? BC I do not want to get screwed by my "friends" - and there are a million different ways it will happen - and like you said how much and how long?

When the roof needs replacing and the house floods - I just move on to the next place - NSA living in 3rd world is much easier

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
To be honest, we were before the population explosion. Never paid a cent. Google Carlos Alberto Rosales Mendoza. He came to the house, no business, no problem. He went to school with a bunch of my close friends and told me that that was the reason why he was cutting us a break. We were the only ones here, he was our closest and only neighbor. Google him up.

Now, who knows. We’re in the middle of getting fucked to tears at the moment, my attitude isn’t the best. I’ve got a list of shitheads that I’d love to put one in their foreheads, my wife refuses to bring me my S&W .357 with the six inch barrel. Stick that shoots fire.

I miss “el tísico” never any problem with a verdadero hijo de la chingada. He was never in it for the money. The crew now shits where they eat and sleep. If you take my meaning.

Best of luck! Skill ain’t gonna get you there.
Don't listen to Ogro. He basically just sits in a hammock with non-stop hookers and blow
rotating through his horrible slice of earth each day and doesn't like to share. Nothing to see here...

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
My home view 7 months out of the year in Baja
View attachment 121953
Well that's fucking incredible...

I didn't actually realize this thread was blowing up, I wasn't getting email notifications.

For everyone who's said I don't know what I'm getting into or I need to do research. 100%, and that's what this thread was about. And it's been great. Basically I've been living in Indo for the past two years and as someone else said here, I would legit never buy anything in Indo. Nooooo fucking way. I had some vague premonitions that Mexico would be different, but the general gist of this thread seems to be that it's not.

Not that it's impossible, but it's not exactly easy to get it right either. I guess I saw a bit of that in my own research as well. I saw Pascuales and thought that looks cool! And then I read about Tecoman being the murder capital of Mexico and it's like, Christ. That's depressing.

Anyways. Thanks for all the information everyone. I'm 300% more informed than before and feel pretty confident that Mexico isn't quite what I thought it was.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Well that's fucking incredible...

I didn't actually realize this thread was blowing up, I wasn't getting email notifications.

For everyone who's said I don't know what I'm getting into or I need to do research. 100%, and that's what this thread was about. And it's been great. Basically I've been living in Indo for the past two years and as someone else said here, I would legit never buy anything in Indo. Nooooo fucking way. I had some vague premonitions that Mexico would be different, but the general gist of this thread seems to be that it's not.

Not that it's impossible, but it's not exactly easy to get it right either. I guess I saw a bit of that in my own research as well. I saw Pascuales and thought that looks cool! And then I read about Tecoman being the murder capital of Mexico and it's like, Christ. That's depressing.

Anyways. Thanks for all the information everyone. I'm 300% more informed than before and feel pretty confident that Mexico isn't quite what I thought it was.
Mexico is great. You could spend an awesome season in Mainland going from spot to spot. Tecoman is hot as f--k and the wave isn't what I picture surfing in old age, and I've spent way more time there than anywhere else down there. There's a fair bit of paddling and getting your ass kicked to riding good ones ratio much past head high.

There are way more beautiful places in Mexico with waves more suited to old age/retiring in your surf dwelling with better snorkel/spearfish/shore fishing options.

Reactions: Aruka and PPK96754