If you left California, where would you move?

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
Where do you get your health insurance figures? Unless your company is paying 100% of premiums, you're paying a lot more that $400/mo to be on most companies plans for a family of 3 or more.
I was factoring in cost of 1 person not a family of 3. Most families are double income in California. Let's say you are a paying $1000/month for your family for insurance plus 25% income tax, it's still cheaper than 40% of your income in western europe.

ShiverMeTimbers

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
Cool...I think I met you when you were down here? Or was it SBD...we were doing some tree assessment field work for the witch creek fire and we needed some help...not sure what happened, but good you like it up there. Me, I've come to appreciate warm weather in my aging years...
Yeah man, that was me. Met for beers at South Beach in OB, right?

Reactions: tsenn

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Hope I’m doing this right..don’t post much! The main reason is cost of living. Surfing was the main thing keeping me here but as I get older I’m surfing less and when I do go it’s so crowded that I’ve kinda lost interest. We’ve decided on Nashville, all things considered we really like the area and wife can transfer w her job. Kids are about to start kindergarten so we decided to do it before they get established in school,sports, etc
Hey JakeC, glad it’s working for you!
cowabunga
rg

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
thousand a month?

fcuk, thats heavy.
It was over $1,200/mo for family of four for me and that was just premiums. Tack on another $10K/year for other OoP expenses. That's when I hear people scream about a flat tax of 10% for universal health care, I just laugh and think, boy wouldn't that be nice!

I did next best thing, though, and got a job that has health care costs of about $350/month for family. And a pension. :beer:

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Not leaving CA, but I think Im going to move to Costa Mesa in January while i wait for my industry to go back into offices. Going to save a few hundred bucks a month - have a 2 car garage to make an office out of, be 7 minutes from the beach and that much closer to all my family and friends. Will have a roomate for the first time in 10 years or so but its a house, and ultimately a way better thing than I have going in my overpriced tiny LA apt.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
It was over $1,200/mo for family of four for me and that was just premiums. Tack on another $10K/year for other OoP expenses. That's when I hear people scream about a flat tax of 10% for universal health care, I just laugh and think, boy wouldn't that be nice!

I did next best thing, though, and got a job that has health care costs of about $350/month for family. And a pension. :beer:
In Aus we pay 2% on our taxable income (above a certain threshold) and all health care costs covered if you are happy to go through public system, which is excellent.
It's a fcuking godsend.

surfapotomus

OTF status
Jan 21, 2014
on a leash
No way I would live BI. Esp if I was a haole. Just asking to get phucked with by tweakers and the like.

Poss Kona side but not likely.
My lady thinks we're going to move in and immediately throw a party and invite all our neighbors. Ummm, let's see what we're dealing with first, was my response. We're in HPP 2 blocks from the water. From what I can tell Tweakerville is only a few blocks away.

Reactions: PPK96754

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
In Aus we pay 2% on our taxable income (above a certain threshold) and all health care costs covered if you are happy to go through public system, which is excellent.
It's a fcuking godsend.
That's more than reasonable. We spend about that for a system that only covers old people and destitute poor people, I'd gladly toss in another 1-2% for what you have :drowning:

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
What say you, Freeride. Will you sponsor everyone on the erBB for an Australian visa?

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
My lady thinks we're going to move in and immediately throw a party and invite all our neighbors. Ummm, let's see what we're dealing with first, was my response. We're in HPP 2 blocks from the water. From what I can tell Tweakerville is only a few blocks away.
Oh phuck dude if you are in paradise park just sell and find somewhere else.

I grew up that area cause my grandparents lived there. When I say it was rough for outsiders in the 90s I am not kidding.

That area is kind of nuts. Meth houses, homeless, tweakers, etc. It is getting nicer but there is not any decent surf anywhere close either.

Reactions: surfapotomus

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
It's a fcuking godsend.
If only we could convince Republicans and Democrats of this godsend possibility. It's probably more the financial industry, they'd be fucked if we went that way.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Surprised how many of you would be happy to live away from surf. If my wife and I were to do that, then probably Valle D'Aosta (Italian Alps).
I have lived within easy bicycling distance to the beach for all but 4 years of my life. I wouldn't mind trying the mountains for a while. Ski my brains out during the winter, hike and bike summer. Lots of places in Switzerland or Austria come to mind.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Just read the stat that more people left California than migrated here for the second year in a row.

Also, Tesla is gone, HP and Oracle are going....

As for a new location to move to???

I personally like something remote. Growing up as a kid here in California our nearest neighbors were almost a mile away.

Maybe Jarbidge in northeastern Nevada or Yellowpine in Idaho...For many years the dream was to eventually live on the Big Sur south coast. Those days are over.