If you left California, where would you move?

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
I've also thought about this many times and I'd probably move overseas. I really fell in love with the Mediterranean area. But it's a big jump as my friends, the guys I grew up with who are basically my family, all live in the US. I hate the idea of being so far away from them when we want to get together for some shenanigans.

I've already convinced myself I probably won't want to surf into my 60s. So give me somewhere warm, a nice climate next to the sea (or mountains like the swiss alps), and away from big cities, but close enough for a day trip. Also fell in love with the summers in Ireland and Iceland.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Brazil or Colombia. Both are modern, livable, good weather, warm water, with great culture and people. If I needed to be in the US outside of California, maybe somewhere in the Carolinas.
we have a place in Brazil and prior to this year, went regularly. it is all that you say and i've thought long and hard about retiring there, but i just can't see living there. some of the negatives are huge (like personal security)...i imagine Colombia is probably similar in that respect.

on the other hand, France is awesome - i think i'd like to find European culture, with warm water - does that exist anywhere?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
we have a place in Brazil and prior to this year, went regularly. it is all that you say and i've thought long and hard about retiring there, but i just can't see living there. some of the negatives are huge (like personal security)...i imagine Colombia is probably similar in that respect.
Where exactly? I've seen lists of the place countries to retire to, and Colombia is often on it, but Brazil almost never is. I wonder if that's a function of cost of living in the main urban centers, crime, corruption? I remember it being pretty cheap outside of the main areas. However I wonder if it's just a matter of time before you are on the wrong end of some criminal POS :drowning:

That and it's a PITA to get there and back, it's easier to fly to Asia. Colombia has an advantage in that regard.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Not planning on leaving California, but admit that life doesn't always plans, so I've given a small amount of thought to this:

1 Oregon (or Washington with longshot to BC or SE Alaska)

2 Hawaii would be lovely, but not sure I want to move there and work, so it would be a retirement idea

3 Australia could be possible. Which reminds me, need to look at parlaying dear old dad's foreign citizenship to get dual citizenship

4 Panama as retireee

Last edited:
Reactions: kawika

TangTonic

Nep status
Feb 24, 2011

on the other hand, France is awesome - i think i'd like to find European culture, with warm water - does that exist anywhere?
Why yes it does!

I recommend you check out Guadeloupe and Martinique. Incredible islands and good surf! Dominica beats them for nature but does not have the European vibe. The Saints are a group of islands between Guadeloupe and Dominica. Heavenly!

For me, Panama checks most of the boxes. I'm quite content here in the Caribbean though.

surfapotomus

OTF status
Jan 21, 2014
on a leash
The Big Island. We have a plot of land there that the lady and I will probably retire to. I gotta be near the ocean.

I'd also love to spend time in Amsterdam and France.

BTW, I still feel CA is one of the greatest places on the planet and I feel lucky that I've lived almost my whole life here.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Why yes it does!

I recommend you check out Guadeloupe and Martinique. Incredible islands and good surf! Dominica beats them for nature but does not have the European vibe. The Saints are a group of islands between Guadeloupe and Dominica. Heavenly!

For me, Panama checks most of the boxes. I'm quite content here in the Caribbean though.
Those islands look amazing, but aren’t they crazy pricey? I know there is a lot to be saved once you live there and not in a hotel especially if you grow your own food, but I imagine there is still some sticker shock.

DR for nature is insane. The 25 waterfall tour is one of the funnest nonsurf activities I’ve ever done on a surf trip.

TangTonic

Nep status
Feb 24, 2011
Those islands look amazing, but aren’t they crazy pricey? I know there is a lot to be saved once you live there and not in a hotel especially if you grow your own food, but I imagine there is still some sticker shock.

DR for nature is insane. The 25 waterfall tour is one of the funnest nonsurf activities I’ve ever done on a surf trip.
Yes they are pricey buy not in every area. France subsidizes these islands so many goods are actually cheaper there than they are in France. But with how close Dominica is to both, I think the call would be to buy land there and jump on the ferry or your own boat any time you want some Euro vibes. Its about 50 miles either way. Guedeluope is to the North, Martinique to the South.

Keep in mind, DR (Dominican Republic) is totally different island than DA (Dominica). Dominica has 365 rivers, a big area of land set aside for the indigenous Kalinago peoples, incredible fertility, super nice people, and the list goes on.

DR is cool too but not in the same league as far as nature and just pristine environment as DA.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Where exactly? I've seen lists of the place countries to retire to, and Colombia is often on it, but Brazil almost never is. I wonder if that's a function of cost of living in the main urban centers, crime, corruption? I remember it being pretty cheap outside of the main areas. However I wonder if it's just a matter of time before you are on the wrong end of some criminal POS :drowning:

That and it's a PITA to get there and back, it's easier to fly to Asia. Colombia has an advantage in that regard.
wife owns a condo in Rio - Barra da Tijuca - a relatively nice section....but Rio always has that disconcerting anything-can-happen-at-any-time-right-out-of-nowhere vibe. we have family in Saquarema, a pretty cool beach town up north of Rio with some good surf, but it's a little remote for my taste.

i know a lot of the British and Euro retirees and ex--pats end up in Vietnam, Thailand etc...i have no experience in the Far East but i think it would be worth a trip to check it out and get a feel for it.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
wife owns a condo in Rio - Barra da Tijuca - a relatively nice section....but Rio always has that disconcerting anything-can-happen-at-any-time-right-out-of-nowhere vibe. we have family in Saquarema, a pretty cool beach town up north of Rio with some good surf, but it's a little remote for my taste.

i know a lot of the British and Euro retirees and ex--pats end up in Vietnam, Thailand etc...i have no experience in the Far East but i think it would be worth a trip to check it out and get a feel for it.
Vietnam is the only country where I thought I could live in.

But I crave home (NSDC) when I am away for a while.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil

You nailed it, it's all about personal security. Prices are high and all but nothing that would scare off someone retiring in US dollars.

After being in California for 1 year, one of those things I noticed and really enjoyed as a brazilian was being able to stop at a red light and not having to keep looking over my shoulders and figuring out where I would flee to if approached. That personal security feeling is usually underrated for people who live in relatively safe countries.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Paging 9'4"? (Azores)
The Azores, Madeira, Canaries, Cape Verde crossed my mind but I think I'd get severe island fever. Morocco would be interesting (right point breaks!) and probably inexpensive, but living in a Muslim country right now would make me a little nervous.

centrlcoastkook

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 2, 2002
Hard to imagine me ever leaving this part of California. But if my boys grow up and end up elsewhere I can see the pull of family changing my plan. Also, seems difficult for my kids to be able to afford living here. However, I remember thinking the same thing when I was in high school and somehow it has worked out for me.

Reactions: rice and RemyXO