If you left California, where would you move?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Why would you go to Europe looking for "Americana"????????
Normally I'm all for lighting VonMeister's sh!t the fuck up, but this was a very cordial and helpful post. The previous sentence even qualified it with "great stepping off point if it's your first trip to Europe" and a couple sentences back "depends on what you're into."

If it wasn't for the helpful suggestion was for someone potentially leaving California, I would have called the Ventura County Sheriff and asked for a wellness check.

Like when the Terminators imp humans and the giveaway is the human is never that courteous.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Normally I'm all for lighting VonMeister's sh!t the fook up, but this was a very cordial and helpful post. The previous sentence even qualified it with "great stepping off point if it's your first trip to Europe" and a couple sentences back "depends on what you're into."

If it wasn't for the helpful suggestion was for someone potentially leaving California, I would have called the Ventura County Sheriff and asked for a wellness check.

Like when the Terminators imp humans and the giveaway is the human is never that courteous.
I guess in my mind it brought to mind lines of Americans at McDonalds in Rome.:foreheadslap:

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Normally I'm all for lighting VonMeister's sh!t the fook up, but this was a very cordial and helpful post. The previous sentence even qualified it with "great stepping off point if it's your first trip to Europe" and a couple sentences back "depends on what you're into."

Lighting sh!t on fire? Is this right from the Florida Dept of Tourism or just something you and the hayseeds do for fun when you reside in a neighborhood without sidewalks?

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
I guess in my mind it brought to mind lines of Americans at McDonalds in Rome.:foreheadslap:
Hah... when I was 21 (1995) I spent about 10 days in Russia as part of a bigger semester abroad. The food was rough to say the least. Our whole crew was so stoked when we happened upon a Subway in St. Petersburg and it actually tasted like Subway. Normally I'm all about trying new things and usually you can find some pretty good food no matter where you are but this time we were all pretty damn hungry. ShItty American chain food has never tasted so good.

• Love
Reactions: One-Off

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Lighting sh!t on fire? Is this right from the Florida Dept of Tourism or just something you and the hayseeds do for fun when you reside in a neighborhood without sidewalks?
It's from Generation Kill, a little rephrased.

I tend to light the herb on fire, then go surfing or fishing for fun.

West Virginia, the Mountaineers are known to burn couches to celebrate.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Hah... when I was 21 (1995) I spent about 10 days in Russia as part of a bigger semester abroad. The food was rough to say the least. Our whole crew was so stoked when we happened upon a Subway in St. Petersburg and it actually tasted like Subway. Normally I'm all about trying new things and usually you can find some pretty good food no matter where you are but this time we were all pretty damn hungry. ShItty American chain food has never tasted so good.
The food in Russia has since gotten better while American food has gotten much worse.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Instead of hating on truth while he's been posting all these sneak peaks into the good life, I've been watching and learning. Waking up early and running. Reading what R32 is doing and turning my money into more money. Surfing even when the waves suck(they always suck here). I want to go there, and show up ready to make the most of it until the day I die.
Anyone who recommends you consider moving to Detroit should not be trusted again, they want you to suffer so that they feel better by comparison.
No hating on Truth from me. Hell, youth has it's advantages and it seems he has a goal and, with a daughter in tow as well, and not to mention the surf. Remote teaching, pulling a paycheck, living cheaply, banging backpacking Euro & Russian wahine's and surfing Nias. Truth is living the Surfer's dream. :beer::dancing::shaka::applause2::cheers:

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
It's from Generation Kill, a little rephrased.

I tend to light the herb on fire, then go surfing or fishing for fun.

West Virginia, the Mountaineers are known to burn couches to celebrate.

:roflmao: After the Gauchos beat the Runnin' Rebels, walking through Isla Vista, saw about 20 couches burning. And that was half way through town.

ringer

Tom Curren status
Aug 2, 2002
Huntington Beach, California
Good for her. From what little I know about Durango I’m not surprised you all love it. I call the stretch from there to Del Norte the land that time forgot.

Pagosa’s nice but not cheap either and when you Google map the affordable property listings they’re pretty far from town when you consider how sketch the road could get in the winter. That and it isn’t exactly cheap to buy a house in town either.

The area in general isnt going to be undiscovered for much longer.
There’s no Whole Foods anywhere, yet. But there are new businesses that are indicative of change.
Compared to every other mtn town in the west the area’s a steal.

The only 2 bed condo in Telluride under 2 mil. 1.9 lol. They’d bought it 4 mos ago and then jacked the price by $250k. Wtf.

There was some other town in Washington or Idaho where it was a full on superfund site and still expensive.

Or Bozeman Montana where $500k = zero listings/access denied

I read on two occasions on the TGR forums where people said as good as the skiing was at insert name of big mt here it was too crowded too expensive too played out etc and despite living there for 20 years they were over it and leaving for a small town with a small ski area nearby.

That said life in the valley isn’t for everyone it’s always windy, can get really cold at night, and there can be large snow accumulations in short periods of time (72”/36 hrs). People leave.

I was very tempted to purchase in the Ghost Mine Ranch just so I could say I lived there.
Durango is a mountain town of about 20,000, but it attracts tourists all four seasons so it has much more restaurant, retail, and entertainment options than a typical town of that size. It does get cold, but it is a fresh cold with 300+ days of sunshine per year, and is stunningly beautiful. Housing is more expensive compared to other (nice) places in the region, but as of my visit a couple of weeks ago a brand new, very nice 2 bed/2 ba condo with views was asking $500k. There are older single family homes around that range as well. Four Corners region is a good investment right now.

Reactions: afoaf

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Heh, upon coming back from abroad, invariably, all I really want is a big fat greasy cheeseburger and fries. :cheers:

Reactions: potato-nator

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Durango is a mountain town of about 20,000, but it attracts tourists all four seasons so it has much more restaurant, retail, and entertainment options than a typical town of that size. It does get cold, but it is a fresh cold with 300+ days of sunshine per year, and is stunningly beautiful. Housing is more expensive compared to other (nice) places in the region, but as of my visit a couple of weeks ago a brand new, very nice 2 bed/2 ba condo with views was asking $500k. There are older single family homes around that range as well. Four Corners region is a good investment right now.
I've been going to New Mexico off and on for the last 15 years to visit Deb's sister and husband who live in an area called Placitas. Quiet nice little area. Homes are spread out over the desert area and it gets it's fair share of snow and heat but I like the solitude. Albuquerque is fairly close as well as Sante Fe which is an artsy type town on the upscale side. Durango, is a little over a three hour drive from Placitas and another bitchen city which I liked. Lots of first nation history which I like to explore.

If I left Hawaii, I'd get a little spot in Placitas New Mexico. I love the solitude of the desert.

Reactions: npsp and JDJ

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
I've been going to New Mexico off and on for the last 15 years to visit Deb's sister and husband who live in an area called Placitas. Quiet nice little area. Homes are spread out over the desert area and it gets it's fair share of snow and heat but I like the solitude. Albuquerque is fairly close as well as Sante Fe which is an artsy type town on the upscale side. Durango, is a little over a three hour drive from Placitas and another bitchen city which I liked. Lots of first nation history which I like to explore.

If I left Hawaii, I'd get a little spot in Placitas New Mexico. I love the solitude of the desert.
Desert? Why not jump ship all together, hit up western sahara and have not only desert... the largest on our potentially flat, or not, earth; but also solitary sand bottom right hand points that go for EVER.

There is the land mines, and the fact that morroco should be annexing them any day now, but what's life without a little intrigue?

:shrug::D:p

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC

Totally agree, PPK! i lived in New Mexico for a time and can attest to the fact that it’s an epic place with a much different vibe than anywhere else in the USA.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Desert? Why not jump ship all together, hit up western sahara and have not only desert... the largest on our potentially flat, or not, earth; but also solitary sand bottom right hand points that go for EVER.

There is the land mines, and the fact that morroco should be annexing them any day now, but what's life without a little intrigue?

:shrug::D:p
My time on Earth is coming to an end soon enough. The Sahara is not a place where I would like to enjoy my ending on the globe or flatness as some think. Familiarities to ones overall life is what I'm choosing.