If you left California, where would you move?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
If you have the time and a nest egg start in the Netherlands and figure out where to go from there.
Can’t tell if trolling or srs? I’ve only stopped over in Amsterdam, but the view outside could’ve been Iowa. Flat country where half of it be underwater plus boring food, so I’m not sure what the allure would be?

The Nat Geo IG feed posts photos of Amsterdam all the time, and it looks drab and boring even by Northern European standards.

Agree with your Toronto assessment. Montreal is awesome.

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
I can't remember if I responded to this thread already or not. I moved away from Encinitas a long time ago. Moved to Oregon. Let me tell you, it f#@king sucks! Cold. Gloomy. Too much goddam rain. Portland's burning the fuhk down and full of crazy anarchists. The closest surf is 5 hours away and it's windblown slop in 42 degree water or massive closed out death slabs with nothing in between. Global warming is killing the winter sports, it rains more than snows at Flatchelor and Mt. Hood might erupt any day now. Endless forest fires all summer long have abraded the once beautiful forests and left behind a ghost town of burnt out husks while we choke on smoke all summer long. Everyone east of the Cascades are crazy conspiracy theorist jacked up coal roller truck driving anti-vax Trumpers who want to secede and join Idaho. And yet, despite all this people can't stop moving in from California with their entitled California attitudes, so every formerly cool place in the state is completely blown out and utterly unaffordable. It's pretty much turned into a super sh1tty not so poor man's California. Anyone thinking about moving here should just go to Texas or Arizona instead. Those places are way more rad.

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
Also the biggest regret of my life so far is selling our place in Leucadia when we left 16 years ago. WTF were we thinking? So even if you leave California, don't sell your place. No matter how hard it may be to hold on to it, or how convinced you are that it's way overpriced and you're selling at the top of the market. It's not and you aren't.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Can’t tell if trolling or srs? I’ve only stopped over in Amsterdam, but the view outside could’ve been Iowa. Flat country where half of it be underwater plus boring food, so I’m not sure what the allure would be?

The Nat Geo IG feed posts photos of Amsterdam all the time, and it looks drab and boring even by Northern European standards.

Agree with your Toronto assessment. Montreal is awesome.
NL is more than Amsterdam. I suppose it depends on what your in to. I'f you're looking for mountains and vistas you could be disappointed...a lot of NL acreage is reclaimed land. It's a kicks country and a great stepping off point if it's your first trip to Europe. They speak more of an American version of English and culturally they have a lot of Americana. Fairly large American BBQ scene as well. Mayonnaise instead of ketchup does take some getting used to.

Toronto may be the ugliest city in the world and that's saying something when Eastern Europe it still full of Brut architecture.

Reactions: grapedrink

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
When do we start the "America: Officially Done" thread?

In terms of my answer to this thread, I'm already there.

If I had to leave here it would be Perth, or surrounding areas, or ZAF.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Also the biggest regret of my life so far is selling our place in Leucadia when we left 16 years ago. WTF were we thinking? So even if you leave California, don't sell your place. No matter how hard it may be to hold on to it, or how convinced you are that it's way overpriced and you're selling at the top of the market. It's not and you aren't.
Rent your house out and you can always come back. Sell your house and you can never come back.

Aug 21, 2009
earth
^ ^^^Yup. i can rent my house for 7 times what the mortgage and taxes are. I'm old. It has taken time for this to happen. So-Cal is the #1, indisputable, best place to live in the USA. The big issue is that there are a lot of Dumbasses here. In case you are brain dead, SoCal real estate is on the rise, It always has been, and it always will be. If you think that the prices have peaked, you are a moron. Mark my words.
For all of you Dumbass youngsters who want to get rid of prop 13. Take a moment to look into your future. If you are smart enough to take advantage of prop 13 and not vote it away, then when I'm dead, your now seemingly oppressive property taxes will be the low ones and you will be laughing,. like I am now, (exact words spoken to me by my father 35 years ago).... unless you are stupid enough to vote yourself into a higher tax situation.

The #1 problem with California are the stupid #u@ks who keep voting for higher taxes for themselves.

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
randomly today surfed w one person

we chatted for a while and he asked - are you truth?

haha anyways this er bb long time member and he has been indo for a few years

we agreed America seems like it has changed from when we were there??

and the price of things holy sh!t!

i can retire early and lose 30% of my pension and still live nicely over here but no turning back

at home would have to work until 62 and need every dime

indo and se asia is the ticket

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
randomly today surfed w one person

we chatted for a while and he asked - are you truth?

haha anyways this er bb long time member and he has been indo for a few years

we agreed America seems like it has changed from when we were there??

and the price of things holy sh!t!

i can retire early and lose 30% of my pension and still live nicely over here but no turning back

at home would have to work until 62 and need every dime

indo and se asia is the ticket
You should move to Bangkok.

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
ya philippines bali thailand all short flights away for a bender when needed. if i didn't have a wife and kid that's prob where id be too (SE Asia)

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Instead of hating on truth while he's been posting all these sneak peaks into the good life, I've been watching and learning. Waking up early and running. Reading what R32 is doing and turning my money into more money. Surfing even when the waves suck(they always suck here). I want to go there, and show up ready to make the most of it until the day I die.
Anyone who recommends you consider moving to Detroit should not be trusted again, they want you to suffer so that they feel better by comparison.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
NL is more than Amsterdam. I suppose it depends on what your in to. I'f you're looking for mountains and vistas you could be disappointed...a lot of NL acreage is reclaimed land. It's a kicks country and a great stepping off point if it's your first trip to Europe. They speak more of an American version of English and culturally they have a lot of Americana. Fairly large American BBQ scene as well. Mayonnaise instead of ketchup does take some getting used to.

Toronto may be the ugliest city in the world and that's saying something when Eastern Europe it still full of Brut architecture.
Why would you go to Europe looking for "Americana"????????