If you had one concert to back in time to...

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Just met him last week at his art show in a small gallery in JaxBch. Saw them open for the Beastie Boys in 87 when I was 14. I‘m sure he must have some stories to tell. Quite the character.
I saw em on that tour, too! Some punk band opened...

edit: it was Murphy's Law.

Last edited:

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
this one: Black Sabbath at Madison Square Garden, December 3rd, 1975, Aerosmith was the opener - and i was there, and this is my ticket stub:
sabbath tix.gif

except i was out of my mind on blotter acid that night...and barely recall bits and pieces and would love to go back and suck up all the sights and sounds of the crazy night:

i was about to turn 16, it was my birthday present to be allowed to go, we took the bus in from jersey and we were kids loose in NYC, it was Ozzy Osbourne's birthday, Aerosmith was the opening act (but hardly anyone knew who they were), and MSG was just pulsing. Every freak in New York was there - at one point, someone pitched a bottle out of the stands and caught Tony Iommi in the forehead, opened up a gash, and he never stopped playing and the band didn't even flinch (Ozzy told the crowd something like, "oh, you've gone and hit poor Tony in the head - next up is Ironman!") and shortly thereafter they wheeled a giant cake onto the stage and someone jumped out - think it was a girl. what i recall most is sitting in the midst of the OG of the NY goth world up in the stands, getting high, while the party on stage raged on. we're talking over 45 years ago, at this point - but that concert is still legendary and accounts of that night can be found around the internet. just wish i remembered more about it - was such a pivotal night in the early days of my formative years.

Last edited:

tsenn

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 11, 2004
san diego
Woodstock for sure...everyone was high af...but just feeling it! Richie Havens Freedom! Santana! Epic...but I did see Steele Pulse at the Freemont in SLO '84?..and, Mojo Nixon at the old Darkroom in SLO also...

Reactions: keenfish

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
this one: Black Sabbath at Madison Square Garden, December 3rd, 1975, Aerosmith was the opener - and i was there, and this is my ticket stub:
View attachment 131348

except i was out of my mind on blotter acid that night...and barely recall bits and pieces and would love to go back and suck up all the sights and sounds of the crazy night:

i was about to turn 16, it was my birthday present to be allowed to go, we took the bus in from jersey and we were kids loose in NYC, it was Ozzy Osbourne's birthday, Aerosmith was the opening act (but hardly anyone knew who they were), and MSG was just pulsing. Every freak in New York was there - at one point, someone pitched a bottle out of the stands and caught Tony Iommi in the forehead, opened up a gash, and he never stopped playing and the band didn't even flinch (Ozzy told the crowd something like, "oh, you've gone and hit poor Tony in the head - next up is Ironman!") and shortly thereafter they wheeled a giant cake onto the stage and someone jumped out - think it was a girl. what i recall most is sitting in the midst of the OG of the NY goth world up in the stands, getting high, while the party on stage raged on. we're talking over 45 years ago, at this point - but that concert is still legendary and accounts of that night can be found around the internet. just wish i remembered more about it - was such a pivotal night in the early days of my formative years.

:jamon: :bowdown:

Reactions: potato-nator

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
I was going to school up here at Humboldt State (Cal Poly Humboldt now I think) and we decided to go to this show...on a Wednesday...went to my buddy's place in San Lorenzo, dropped acid as we crossed the Bay Bridge on our way to Fillmore West...when I found this on YT had a bona fide flashback.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Can't pick one. Hendrix (even on a bad night), but Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones (about the time of "Ladies and Gentlemen..") would have been nice...

Best concerts I've actually seen-

#1- Red Hot Chili Peppers at the Club Lingerie, Hollywood, 1980's. At the time they were just the opening act for the Circle Jerks playing in a small club, but their set was mind blowing. They did some nasty sh!t, including a pee pee fountain when they first came on stage that left everyone's jaw on the ground. WTF? Then went on to absolutely rock the joint. It was cool to see them is such a small venure. Saw them again in a big arena and it sucked.

#2- Talking Heads "Stop Making Sense" at the Hollywood Palladium. Again, helped that is was a medium sized venue.

#3- Numerous X shows....

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
12/10/78
They were unbelievable. 3 or 4 rows from the front.
Nonstop joints being passed aroundView attachment 131393
They were a no show when I went to see them in 1973.

But all was not lost

One of the guys I went with, there were four of us stoned on sunshine, lost his keys. While looking for the keys one of us found a bag of weed. Then another. Then a bag with some reds. Whites. You name it. We ended up with several felonies worth. Never found the keys, had to break into the car and hotwire it.

First concert was CSN ‘69 or ‘70 at the Forum. You could go to a show every week around la for minimum wage money, I averaged two/month from my sophomore to senior year in high school.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
with a lot of these big stadium shows from back in the day, i can barely recall the bands or the songs - they were just a bunch of figures on a stage off in the distance, so far they were disconnected from the sound coming out of the amps, and there was no big screen video for the cheap seats... but recall vividly the people: the girl who kept passing me the killer joints, the confrontation in the bathroom with the guy who had sold us bogus acid 45 minutes earlier, the hot dog vendor who kept yelling "don't be a meanie, buy your friend a weenie!", the guy who breezed his way thru the packed crowd by pretending he was about to vomit etc etc. every show had it's moments and most of the best ones weren't on stage.

Reactions: Woke AF

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
with a lot of these big stadium shows from back in the day, i can barely recall the bands or the songs - they were just a bunch of figures on a stage off in the distance, so far they were disconnected from the sound coming out of the amps, and there was no big screen video for the cheap seats... but recall vividly the people: the girl who kept passing me the killer joints, the confrontation in the bathroom with the guy who had sold us bogus acid 45 minutes earlier, the hot dog vendor who kept yelling "don't be a meanie, buy your friend a weenie!", the guy who breezed his way thru the packed crowd by pretending he was about to vomit etc etc. every show had it's moments and most of the best ones weren't on stage.
I saw Bob Dylan and the Grateful Dead "Alone and Together" at a stadium. Lost my friends in the crush and that kind of sucked. Saw the Who. They were great...for little specks in the distance.

Worst was Bowie, because the girl I went with started puking just before the show and so we never saw a thing. :foreheadslap: