If gov't is accountable to the press, then to whom is the press accountable?

test_article

Kelly Slater status
Sep 25, 2009
Body of Christ, Texas
GDaddy said:
I think it's chickensht of virtually any media outlet to cut off all discourse from their readers as if their content should stand unchallenged. Fck that.
It's fair to all sides though. Otherwise, all you have are commenters who are connected. Does the Pony Express still ride out of Frisco?

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
These outlets get to live in their own bubble.

I love the conflation of trolling - which has a definition - with the simple difference of opinion or perspective. There's a difference between shtposting with the sole aim of pissing people off vs expressing dissent on the straightforward and sincere basis.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Q. If gov't is accountable to the press, then to whom is the press accountable?

A1 In a capitalistic society, the press is accountable to the almighty dollar and all of its various implications.

A2 If the press (and I guess you mean to include all news gathering & disseminating individuals and organizations) fall afoul of the law, such as libel, then they are accountable to the legal system.

A3 In the end, I suppose everything is accountable to the will of the people, but this usually means pitchforks and pyres.

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
GWS said:
craigj532 said:
CNN must pay for depriving the world of your brilliant comments!
Ahhh yes. CNN!

Believe it or not, CNN, during the Clinton administration, had on-line forums for almost every political issue. I believe these forums were in fact the birthplace of internet trolling. Somewhere at CNN they should put up a plaque to memorialize this world-shaping event. Wait... I'm thinking I'm getting a teary now, but without CNN, I probably wouldn't have my 4,652 troll handles. God Bless you CNN!
years ago I used to look at the yahoo forum. I learned how amazingly misguided so many people seem to be.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
GDaddy said:
These outlets get to live in their own bubble.

I love the conflation of trolling - which has a definition - with the simple difference of opinion or perspective. There's a difference between shtposting with the sole aim of pissing people off vs expressing dissent on the straightforward and sincere basis.
You could still write a letter to the publication.

They would take it more seriously too, I bet.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
GWS said:
craigj532 said:
CNN must pay for depriving the world of your brilliant comments!
Ahhh yes. CNN!

Believe it or not, CNN, during the Clinton administration, had on-line forums for almost every political issue. I believe these forums were in fact the birthplace of internet trolling. Somewhere at CNN they should put up a plaque to memorialize this world-shaping event. Wait... I'm thinking I'm getting a teary now, but without CNN, I probably wouldn't have my 4,652 troll handles. God Bless you CNN!

I'm pretty sure online billboards were the first place for trolling back in like '86 or '87, then IRC was the hot spot, plus usenet forums.

before that i guess it was newspaper opinion sections, before that i guess it was graffiti, before that probably cavemen wall drawings.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
GDaddy said:
Some of these news outlets have retired the "reader comment" feature so their readers can't respond to these articles. They clearly neither value nor desire the feedback they were getting from their readers.

Of course, it's only some of these news outlets that do that.
if you really thought that the comment section of articles was the right or even a viable
place to provide feedback on articles you really need to get better at internetting.

letter to the editor; vote with your mouse (feet).

FFS...look at the comments section of articles on sites that do allow it and bask in
the enlightened discourse of the online intelligentsia.

Bohter

Michael Peterson status
Mar 7, 2006
The Press and the Gov are middle men working together toward complicated agendas.

Sounds CRAZY...right? I strongly suggest spending some time researching and considering the alternate reality side of the story...the one hidden in plain sight. Here's a good intro...yes it's "conspiracy stuff" and yes it sounds crazy at first....but go with it and consider if this stuff has any merit whatsoever. If you disagree....at least you'll know what you're disagreeing with....because I assure you....most of you don't have a clue regarding what this hidden "occult" knowledge consists of. Open your mind and hang on tight....

https://153news.net/watch_video.php?v=UGMH59NMRA23

As always....do your own research folks....don't take my word for it.