Ideal fin setup for glider

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I have a 12 x 24 x 5 glider.

It has the 4 + 1 boxes setup. The tail is a double diamond.

I mostly ride it in San Diego at longer point break waves.

I have it set up as a single fin right now but previously had it as a quad fin.

When I had it as a quad fin it felt good going down the line but would not turn if i tried. Maybe cause I had too much fin? I was running large future black sticks with 80/20 rears.

Should I try 50/50 rear fins?

Should i try put a knubster and see if that helps with some release and drive?

Im not trying to do high performance surfing but at least a little turns.

Thanks.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
https://www.trueames.com/collections/ryan-lovelace/products/lovelace-piggyback-quad

Any thoughts on trying these fins with a knub?

Nov 5, 2018
East Coast
Who made it? I've always heard that you want to ride a smaller fin for gliders because they have so much rail in the water that helps with drive. I haven't ridden one personally though

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Brother said:
Who made it? I've always heard that you want to ride a smaller fin for gliders because they have so much rail in the water that helps with drive. I haven't ridden one personally though
Its a shaper from northern California. unknown guy.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
How much turning do you expect out of a 12 foot boat? The boards are meant to set a line and go. If you want to turn then get a shorter board.

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
You really need to talk to the unknown shaper of this board & see what he was thinking about when shaping this board

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
tsenn said:
Just get a paddle...
It’s used to surf waves that are a mile off shore. The paddle takes roughly 15-20 minutes depending on the sets in the channel. I dislike sup. The paddle is limiting and cannot paddle through chop. Yes, it’s a big board but I’m not using it at normal lineups and terrorizing crowds with it.

I’ve surfed it on some bombs. Easy double over head and rode for couple hundred yards. Used a single fin for that day. It really has opened up uncrowded surf that is untouched. I go places where I don’t usually see anyone else and it’s bombing clean surf.

Ive paddled smaller boards out to this spot and it’s so difficult and takes forever if you’re not on a big board. The lineup and playing field is huge so being on a small board would really wear you down.

grg said:
5" thick?
5 inches. More a displacement hull than a planing hull. The front end looks like a kayak.

It’s a full belly to double concave with a double diamond tail.

Like I told the previous poster I use it to surf breaks a mile offshore. Used it a lot on Oahu.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
tsenn said:
You want to talk to Parmenter then...
I know he advocates for single fins and is adamant that single fins are faster and more maneuverable than multi fin systems. Multi fins, in his words, are only faster if you ride rail to rail.

This board I have is modeled after his PSV. I liked his PSV but I wouldn’t paddle it enough to actually warrant having a board that’s part paddleboard.

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
ko25ok said:
SlicedFeet said:
Bonzer :batman:
Not a bad idea. Do you like the feel of bronzers?
Yes, I only like Bonzers in boards 8’ plus. That’s just me tho and no one should follow my lead.

My glider is 11’ But doesn’t have a bonzer dual carb bottom. It’s a traditioanl SD Glider/Frye bottom with the five fin set up.

I can turn it on a quarter, tho I only like surfing it in overhead+ fat waves...only. IMO where a glider is a blast..

At 5” thick, it’s way too fzrking big. You may weigh more than me, but mines 3 1/4 and the whole point about a glider is using and sinking the rail. Theres only one place in SD that’s that far out and shortboarders paddle out there.

Gliders are SD specific, you should have gone to a shaper in SD that knows the heritage.

Sell it.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Five inches sounds thick but it really isn’t. I’m very heavy. I’d break a 3 inch one quickly. I started surfing this board in Hawaii, not SD, which is why I didn’t get a named shaper in SD.

And the spot I surf isn’t the spot you’re thinking of. There’s no shortboards there.