Idea for a EC Winter Barrel Board

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
second the chemzenagain....get it oversized. I really prefer a quad for a barrel board in particular around nj, most spots I really need to go as fast as possible to even try to make it out... If you want local rozbern has a few models that fit this as well.
Yep I get that. I started out thinking of like a mid length fun gun, but seeing all these models I could just upsize anyone of them and get what I am looking for,

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
second the chemzenagain....get it oversized. I really prefer a quad for a barrel board in particular around nj, most spots I really need to go as fast as possible to even try to make it out... If you want local rozbern has a few models that fit this as well.

grab a chem before prices go up. You don't need to go too oversized. nThere's more volume packed in already, so go easy.

Call Willy. He'll dial you in.
Or go to Barewires

Sub $700 is a deal these days

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Looking for similar. Basically want a step up egg. Have a 6'0 Ghost. Getting too old to paddle that thing in full 5 mil/boots/gloves/hood with the molasses feeling of being in some much rubber.

Personally I'm not a fan of oversizing short boards. Want something more glidey and easier to paddle. You might look at the Maurice Cole twin pin. Had one for a bit and it worked well in bigger surf. Mine was 6'7 and felt a little long when it got more hollow and crunchy but it worked pretty well, been kinda regrettting selling it now that I'm in full winter gear. One thing I didn't like was the twin fin had a little too much projection rather than the pivot of a single or tri. Rawson also has some single fins that look interesting as well as the Sniper and Sniper gun.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Thinking of a board with a variation of the wide point forward nose as pulled as possible to not get hung against the hard offshores, a fairly straight outline with a pulled pintail and lots of nose and tail rocker. Want to keep it fairly bladed out so it is duckdivable. Thinking 7 foot range and a big single with boxes for side bites. Thoughts?
SharpEye 77+ or a custom HT2 and ask Marcio for the barrel file.

Reactions: mundus

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
Looking for similar. Basically want a step up egg. Have a 6'0 Ghost. Getting too old to paddle that thing in full 5 mil/boots/gloves/hood with the molasses feeling of being in some much rubber.

Personally I'm not a fan of oversizing short boards. Want something more glidey and easier to paddle. You might look at the Maurice Cole twin pin. Had one for a bit and it worked well in bigger surf. Mine was 6'7 and felt a little long when it got more hollow and crunchy but it worked pretty well, been kinda regrettting selling it now that I'm in full winter gear. One thing I didn't like was the twin fin had a little too much projection rather than the pivot of a single or tri. Rawson also has some single fins that look interesting as well as the Sniper and Sniper gun.
Campbell Bros Bonzer Egg makes for a pretty sweet step up. It has a deceptively high performance rocker and tucked rails that extend pretty far up the length of the board. Very forgiving and flowy but you can still rip a turn and it will hold in the juicy stuff.

bonzeregg1.jpeg

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
A lot depends on the intended waves the OP is hoping to attack. Certain waves in his region really don't allow for any sort of early glide in style of take off........they pretty much require a huck it under the lip or behind the peak knifing approach. The dilemma is that an oversized board becomes a hinderance to this approach. Many of the Northern NJ beach breaks are very similar to what you'll see in Brett Barley's videos from the Outer Banks in terms of the equipment and take off approach. The equipment you see Brett and others who appear in those videos use would be a good guide.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Generally true, but even on the heaving days there are opps for glide ins, look at Gravey on his soft top.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
I have a Ledge @ 7'2 for overhead hunting barrels. And I'm errrrrr... I'd rather be on my single 6'7 Parmy or 7'10 Andrienni* .

The Ledge is predictable and solid and fast but a little awkward, maybe it's the size, I wanna be way up on it but when I wanna turn I have to go way back and it's a struggle to get back far enough. My other WPF boards this does not happen.

For the $$ of the Ledge compared to others, I would say no. Rawson B2 is so tempting or A Bonzer 5 was great in the past.
*especially if barrels are all that's available.

And taking off under the lip is a no go at my age.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
look at Gravey on his soft top.
I'd rather not....... :LOL:
For local reference check out Hammer.

As your getting to be a geezer I will provide you with these images for reference. Back January of 2018 I was shooting and a guy in his mid 60s who I've never seen before or since showed up at the end of my street. The guy clearly had it dialed. His board was a Dick Brewer by Surftech. I don't think they make this board anymore. Based on the same outline as the board below with a lot of flip in the nose:

• Love
Reactions: MathDebater

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Blackbird is a great board but it's not my favorite for barrels. Feels like it's hard to keep the nose out of trouble on super steep drops. It's fine when there is an easy early entry option but where I surf there rarely is.

Groms suggested the 77+ which is a very good barrel board for a high level surfer who is comfortable taking off under the ledge. It is very rockered and thinly foiled and basically offers zero cheat factor so I highly recommend against it for the OP.

The Super Pigdog was a great barrel board. I got an oversized one (6-6 Pigdog Pro, 35L) and it worked very well for it's intended purpose. Compared to the Ghost it paddled and caught waves better and had a more stable, easy ride. It would get into waves a bit earlier, making the setup so much easier, but it also handled late drops no problem. It was a very confidence inspiring board for tubes. I rode it as a quad. It did not feel good in anything other than barrels. Too little outline and rocker curve made it hard to turn. Unfortunately I think Super is no more and I don't see any of the bigger sizes left in stock anywhere.

Chemzenagain has always looked sick to me and if I had more consistent access to tubes I would get one. Rawson Sniper maybe worth a look? I surfed with an older guy in some tubing waves on my recent trip and he was doing great on his. He also rode it well in non tubing waves. Quad.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I had a PigDog for a bit. It did paddle well but it didn't want to turn. The Ghost is better in every way for that style of board in my opinion. The Pig Dog might paddle a bit better, but Ghost is magic in making drops. I'm still sort of amazed that a board concieved of for one of the best surfers in the world still works for decidely average surfers like myself. Hats off to Pyzel.

Something like the Rawson Sniper looks pretty good. You want something with glide but not too long that doesn't feel like a shortboard with too much foam. Really, it just sucks getting old and surfing freezing cold beach breaks with howling offshore winds. In all the rubber you're just a half step slower and it's hard for anything to make up for that. The magic bullet is youth and/or less wetsuit.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I had a PigDog for a bit. It did paddle well but it didn't want to turn. The Ghost is better in every way for that style of board in my opinion. The Pig Dog might paddle a bit better, but Ghost is magic in making drops. I'm still sort of amazed that a board concieved of for one of the best surfers in the world still works for decidely average surfers like myself. Hats off to Pyzel.

Something like the Rawson Sniper looks pretty good. You want something with glide but not too long that doesn't feel like a shortboard with too much foam. Really, it just sucks getting old and surfing freezing cold beach breaks with howling offshore winds. In all the rubber you're just a half step slower and it's hard for anything to make up for that. The magic bullet is youth and/or less wetsuit.
Afraid you might be right, gonna go down swinging though.

Sauce

OTF status
Oct 6, 2021
I have a Ledge @ 7'2 for overhead hunting barrels. And I'm errrrrr... I'd rather be on my single 6'7 Parmy or 7'10 Andrienni* .

The Ledge is predictable and solid and fast but a little awkward, maybe it's the size, I wanna be way up on it but when I wanna turn I have to go way back and it's a struggle to get back far enough. My other WPF boards this does not happen.

For the $$ of the Ledge compared to others, I would say no. Rawson B2 is so tempting or A Bonzer 5 was great in the past.
*especially if barrels are all that's available.

And taking off under the lip is a no go at my age.
Agreed its not the most turn friendly board unless on a big open wally point break, then you can certainly find a carvey flow. But for east coast---gets in early, solid as a dock in the barrel, drives fast as fug down the line, and kick out. Maybe a big cutty but it's definitely not meant to turn anything like a shorty.

I think the album description for the ledge is spot on and does feel about a ft bigger than it is. I feel like a 7'2 would be massive. My 6'5 I wish I went a little shorter but wave count has been excessive lately

Edit: also agree albums are wayyyy overpriced. Xtr would be the only route I'd go if i got another. I'd still steer you towards Scott at Natural Art as he's been making similar shapes for years, has the rocker dialed for steep n deep east coast waves, and you can get whatever you want with all the bells and whistles. A little hard to get up with sometimes though

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
To be honest, my 6'0 ghost is plenty of board for any EC beachbreak. Just starting to feel my years, during winter especially and looking for a bit of a crutch.
I’d go custom w a shaper that’s familiar w such things/makes them on the regular.

plenty o chargers in their 50s n 60s around here that ride such things.