Idea for a EC Winter Barrel Board

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Thinking of a board with a variation of the wide point forward nose as pulled as possible to not get hung against the hard offshores, a fairly straight outline with a pulled pintail and lots of nose and tail rocker. Want to keep it fairly bladed out so it is duckdivable. Thinking 7 foot range and a big single with boxes for side bites. Thoughts?

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Just shut your brain off and get a ghost.
I have one, works great in the right conditions, Looking for something with more paddle to fight the current, etc endless duckdives in a 5mil and gloves really takes the fight out of you.

Reactions: manel85

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Thinking of a board with a variation of the wide point forward nose as pulled as possible to not get hung against the hard offshores, a fairly straight outline with a pulled pintail and lots of nose and tail rocker. Want to keep it fairly bladed out so it is duckdivable. Thinking 7 foot range and a big single with boxes for side bites. Thoughts?
Bonzer 5 or 3 maybe 2 fin of your choice (Russ Short, modern, bumblebee, semi gun) shaped by Malcom Campbell:shaka:

Reactions: mundus

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Ledge is a good suggestion. I like a standard step up 3”-6” longer than my shortboard. My opinion is with the short stubby boards you lose some paddle ability. My two options are a 6’1 Roberts G step up and a 6’4 wayne lynch.

Reactions: Aruka and mundus

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Ledge or similar 10000000%

Mine is gold in big EC and central america. Scott Busbey in buxton has also been shaping some sick sleds that are exactly what you're describing.
Like the ledge so far, gonna look into Buseby, He as been at it along time, remember hearing of him as grom on outer banks trips

Reactions: Aruka and Sauce

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Ledge is a good suggestion. I like a standard step up 3”-6” longer than my shortboard. My opinion is with the short stubby boards you lose some paddle ability. My two options are a 6’1 Roberts G step up and a 6’4 wayne lynch.
Yep with the long periods of flat nothing prepares you for the sizey hard breaking beachbreak no matter how fit you are

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
is a big single with side bites really a good setup for a barrel boar? genuine question, I've never used side bites.

Reactions: Aruka

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
is a big single with side bites really a good setup for a barrel boar? genuine question, I've never used side bites.
Not sure? I like big singles, I was thinking side bites might help to keep the tail engaged when trying to cut the corner and avoid a lip to head. I have found a single will sometimes spin out in this situation, of course user error is a possible expkanation as well.

Reactions: oeste858

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
That is almost exactly what I imagined, thanks. Ledge is still the leader but this is a strong #2

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Same as trifish . Blackbird doesn’t have much flip, but it sure allows you to get in early. Some of my buddies- who actually go on surf trips- swear by R Slayer as their mex BB barrel boar

Reactions: Aruka

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
To be honest, my 6'0 ghost is plenty of board for any EC beachbreak. Just starting to feel my years, during winter especially and looking for a bit of a crutch.

Reactions: oeste858

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
second the chemzenagain....get it oversized. I really prefer a quad for a barrel board in particular around nj, most spots I really need to go as fast as possible to even try to make it out... If you want local rozbern has a few models that fit this as well.

Reactions: Aruka and mundus