ibolic

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
You know what I find fascinating and ironic? The crew I see riding the new tech FW, SD, CI Spinaltap, Dark Farts, all the different builds Lost offers, are usually older surfers. Those exotic builds are pricey.

And there’s a whole crew of younger surfers that are riding heavy classic logs and retro fishes. For contests, logs have to be a minimum of 15 pounds and 3 feet taller than the rider. No leash, thigh high Birdwell shorts. Misogyny alert: thank god the ladies don’t wear retro bikinis. The longboar crew and those hipster fish guys are just as cultishly devoted to whatever parameters makes a boar a classic log or fish as the older guys are to the newest tech the fancy brands have to market. Plus those old retro tech logs and fishes are even more pricey than the new new. Bing nose riders $1500.00.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Sorry not sorry if I’m the one who has to tell some of you guys that Santa Claus isn’t real.

Most of the North Shore step-ups for FW, SD team riders are PU/PE with a black stripe painted over a wood stringer. The DD type team boars that are EPS/Epoxy with carbon strips are just that and not the multi-layered composite builds being marketed.
In fairness... there are lots of guys riding the stock boards in Hawaii. I know Ezzy rides some stock Hydronauts and Sci-fi's... and some other Hawaiian guys like Scott and Macy ride stock boards too.

I've seen some of Seths customs, and those are not stock constructions, but that's because he wants custom dims on specific models, (Dan Mann, Tokoro, etc.). But those boards are made with an EPS firewire blank that has HD Foam Stringer down the middle. At least that's what I've seen on and heard. I think DaSilva was on a stock Flat Earth during the contest?

Reactions: JDJ

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
In fairness... there are lots of guys riding the stock boards in Hawaii. I know Ezzy rides some stock Hydronauts and Sci-fi's... and some other Hawaiian guys like Scott and Macy ride stock boards too.

I've seen some of Seths customs, and those are not stock constructions, but that's because he wants custom dims on specific models, (Dan Mann, Tokoro, etc.). But those boards are made with an EPS firewire blank that has HD Foam Stringer down the middle. At least that's what I've seen on and heard. I think DaSilva was on a stock Flat Earth during the contest?
Not entirely accurate.

Seth Moniz doesn’t ride for FW/SD he rides for Tokoro Surfboards. Absolutely sure he was on a PU/PE boar for Pipe as was Kelly.

Not sure about Ezra. Know Wade makes him custom step ups.

Macy works and rides for Vast, which is a surf wear company in Taiwan. They are also FW distribution in that region. The one time I asked Macy about it, he and Scotty get a few free boars a year cause Vast gets an allotment of free stock boars a year.

Wade also does DD type boars for the younger guys on FW/SD Brodi, Betty Lou, Jackson etc. Those are what you posted FW blanks and their glassing schedule but not the multi-layered composite stuff on this thread. Guess what? He makes them a Tokoro 5+ which isn’t offered as a production model but could be. Not sure that model will sell well it’s too high performance. Hard to surf unless you’re above average/pro level.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Not entirely accurate.

Seth Moniz doesn’t ride for FW/SD he rides for Tokoro Surfboards. Absolutely sure he was on a PU/PE boar for Pipe as was Kelly.

Not sure about Ezra. Know Wade makes him custom step ups.

Macy works and rides for Vast, which is a surf wear company in Taiwan. They are also FW distribution in that region. The one time I asked Macy about it, he and Scotty get a few free boars a year cause Vast gets an allotment of free stock boars a year.

Wade also does DD type boars for the younger guys on FW/SD Brodi, Betty Lou, Jackson etc. Those are what you posted FW blanks and their glassing schedule but not the multi-layered composite stuff on this thread. Guess what? He makes them a Tokoro 5+ which isn’t offered as a production model but could be. Not sure that model will sell well it’s too high performance. Hard to surf unless you’re above average/pro level.
You know your stuff brotha! No argument on that. :shaka:

Tokoro 5+ sounds sick. I've been wanting to try one his boards for a while now.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
They loike the ibolic Revo in Limey town.

Decent review... but misses a lot of key points. I know Brits like to keep it short and to the point, but the Revo is a complicated design and deserves to be described with a little more detail than just "in with the new and out with the old". Plus, he said he's never ridden it so how can his review be relied upon other than second hand testimony. :unsure:

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Cooper Defro Revo review coming soon to a YouTube near you.
Ill be interested in how the parabolic stringers affect performance.

The only FW I ever owned had parabolic rails. I hated it. The marketed benefit was the balsa rails would flex and load up on a turn and and when the boar sprang back to normal you’d get extra pop and keep or increase speed coming out of the turn. To me it felt weird, could feel the rails loading up and the release would be a fraction of a second later than what I’ve experienced all my life. Blew some good waves. Did get a really good barrel on that boar, but riding the tube the boar just gotta go straight.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Here you go @ReForest this vid is really good describing the Revo.

Yup!! Spot on!! I agree with everything Chuy said. Amazing ground breaking design… So much speed out of your turns and very easy to ride, once you get comfortable with the Vee. That’s a great review from a great surfer that knows Tomo’s designs very well. (y)(y)

Reactions: teeroi and tarpon

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
Can you explain what you mean by “comfortable with the V”? I love my XTR Revo because it’s just so neutral and forgiving, like you forget it’s there. Are you having to adjust your approach with the nose to tail Vee vs how you ride your other boards?

Reactions: ReForest

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Ill be interested in how the parabolic stringers affect performance.

The only FW I ever owned had parabolic rails. I hated it. The marketed benefit was the balsa rails would flex and load up on a turn and and when the boar sprang back to normal you’d get extra pop and keep or increase speed coming out of the turn. To me it felt weird, could feel the rails loading up and the release would be a fraction of a second later than what I’ve experienced all my life. Blew some good waves. Did get a really good barrel on that boar, but riding the tube the boar just gotta go straight.
I use the wood rails on my longboars. The springback is noticeable. To me it's not so much of a delay, like a floppy fin, it's the extra projection you may not be ready for. First wave, on the first boar, first bottom turn, the boar accelerated and left me in the trough, with a "wow" feeling.

Reactions: teeroi