I wen’ lose couple marblez, li’dat!

surfwordz

Miki Dora status
Aug 27, 2002
F-53
Good thing it was only a few of the cats eyes, none of the Kini or Bambuchas tho, ..luckily. Still, it was pretty bad, main thing nobody saw except for this one high school kid that was holding up a suicide prevention sign with a bunch of his class mates (it was too funny, I had to laugh, kid probably thought I was crazy). I was driving down the highway screaming at the top of my lungs and punching the steering wheel as hard as I could, most pissed off I have been in years. Then I look at the sign he’s holding and then the kid it was classic! Thankfully I’m not the type to break things or hurt myself or do dumb shirt when having a really bad day (you be surprised how much abuse a steering wheel can take seriously). Anyways, losing marblez sucks! Which brings me to the question..

Is it better to lose your marblez or is it better to be booched of them? :socrazy: :)

Aloha! :)

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Sorry you had a rough moment. Booched? or bachi? Haven’t heard or read someone use the term kini or bambutcha in awhile.

How’s da Lau Lau? Bambutcha or manini.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

surfwordz

Miki Dora status
Aug 27, 2002
F-53
Howzit teeroi?! :)

Booched is what everyone called it when you get every single marble 'Booched" from your possession. I was really hooked on marbles and have actually gotten into many scraps over not just marbles, but also with Milk Covers {now called POGs} and then Pitching Quarters/Odd&Evens as we got older. I had full-on gamble fever growing up here. Im really fortunate that I stopped all gambling after high school and refuse to bet money on anything.

Ive got a lot of stories about fighting with not only other classmates, but mostly with my older brother. Two separate beefs were really memorable with him at Hai'ku School. One of them started at the Bus stop on a rainy morning where we lived in the gulch below Toma's Garage gas station in Hai'ku. We were just kinda killing time waiting for the bus, when out of the blue, my brother accuses me of trying to get mud on his white pants {I know yeah? Who wears white pants on a rainy and muddy day}. We end up missing the bus because we totally just started flinging mud all over each other, it was gnarly but mom was pissed. Made us change clothes and walk the 3 or 4 miles to get there {we actually arrive right at recess}.

I start playing marbles with a kid who used to pick on me, but was being cool that morning and asked me if I like play marbles wit him". Sure enough, my brother wasn't Pau with me yet. Right as I bend down to flick my marble towards the hole, he runs up and shoves me so hard that I totally miss the marble and then slip and fall in the mud. Totally covered head to toe soaking wet from the mud puddle, Im standing there in shock partly cuz the early morning made the water a bit cold, but also just couldn't believe what he just did. By now a big audience of our classmates were all stand around yelling, trying to get us to fight again.

I see he's laughing hard walking away with his back turned to me so I run up and kick the mud puddle at an angle so the water gets his whole back wet. He just froze in his tracks, turned around and ran up and shoved my to the slippery muddy ground again. Then I didn't even expect it, he kicked me in the faces hard as he could and cut my eyebrow. All the kids at school were freaking out they never seen two brothers scrap with so much blood and completely covered in mud. Had to go to the nurses office where they let us some spare clothes from lost and found. Then they made us leave school and then walk all the way back home.

The other one was at home {same house in Hai'ku}. My brother would wait until I won a bunch of marbles at school then challenge me at home so he could easily beat me {sometimes he would cheat, but usually he was so good he didn't have to even try that hard.

One afternoon after he had already Booched every single one of my marbles. He loaned me about ten more so we could still play. I started losing again and now was down to my last marble ...A big purple and cream colored bambucha. Right at the same second he won my last marble, I tried to grab it out of the hole before he could get it, but he grabbed it first and said "Is this what you want???"

My brother picked it up before I could and then threw it and cracked me in the same exact spot that he kicked me, right in the eyebrow. it made an enormous bump thats still kind bothers me sometimes. The funny thing is our mo
ther saw what happened and the took my brothers huge purple Crown Royal velvet bag full of marbles and tossed them in the stream that went alongside our house.

About 3 or 4 days later the water from the stream slowed down to where I could see them, went done into the stream and salvaged more than half the bag. Score!! HAHA!!! :)

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
The joys of growing up with a brother.

I remember my school banning pogs after us little kids would have meltdowns when playing for "keeps". Then there was the kids flipping dollars and flinging quarters at the wall when I was in high school. Some of my friends would gamble their lunch money every day. haha. Good times.

byoda

OTF status
Jan 3, 2006
The joys of growing up with a brother.

I remember my school banning pogs after us little kids would have meltdowns when playing for "keeps". Then there was the kids flipping dollars and flinging quarters at the wall when I was in high school. Some of my friends would gamble their lunch money every day. haha. Good times.
figured out quickly that the operative word "borrow" meant keeps my first year in intermediate school typically precededed by "hey brah like" followed by quarter, board, bike etc

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
12 years old at the bus stop. Giant Samoan kid wear red rags asks to borrow a dollar. Gave him a dollar. Asks to borrow 20 dollars and stands right in my face. Bus pulls up, I tell him I'll give it to him on the bus. He gets on the bus, I don't.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Yeah you wordz.

I always have to remember the local slangs are different from one island to the next. Even Westside slang is different from Town or the Eastside.

I remember playing marbles but not as vividly as you.

We moved a bunch before getting a house in Kaneohe. I went to 7th grade at Kaimuki Intermediate, is it called Middle School now. Then King for 8th grade. There was a school riot that year that closed the school for a week. I remember the Kung Fu teacher getting maced by cops while he was trying to break up a group of fights. Some kid jumped off the balcony high on acid thinking he could fly. Pretty trippy.

I was a little AJA( American of Japanese Ancestry) kid with glasses and a big mouth. First year at King I was sitting in the back of the bus with the cool kids. When Alex Kamakea told me to beat it Jap. When I didn’t budge he backhanded me. My glasses went flying. I grabbed that punk in a Muy Thai head lock and started kneeing him in his face. One of the bulls of the school was yelling look at this little Jap kicking the Hawaiians ass. The bus driver pulled us apart. I could sit in the back for the rest of my time at King. Hahaha.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Yeah you wordz.

I always have to remember the local slangs are different from one island to the next. Even Westside slang is different from Town or the Eastside.

I remember playing marbles but not as vividly as you.

We moved a bunch before getting a house in Kaneohe. I went to 7th grade at Kaimuki Intermediate, is it called Middle School now. Then King for 8th grade. There was a school riot that year that closed the school for a week. I remember the Kung Fu teacher getting maced by cops while he was trying to break up a group of fights. Some kid jumped off the balcony high on acid thinking he could fly. Pretty trippy.

I was a little AJA( American of Japanese Ancestry) kid with glasses and a big mouth. First year at King I was sitting in the back of the bus with the cool kids. When Alex Kamakea told me to beat it Jap. When I didn’t budge he backhanded me. My glasses went flying. I grabbed that punk in a Muy Thai head lock and started kneeing him in his face. One of the bulls of the school was yelling look at this little Jap kicking the Hawaiians ass. The bus driver pulled us apart. I could sit in the back for the rest of my time at King. Hahaha.
Reminds me of elementary school.

My best friend was a overweight white kid from Arizona. His dad worked for a defense contractor and moved to Hawaii for a job. This kid was whiter than white, had a pig tail, and big thick glasses. He wore long JNCO jeans and looked like he fell out of a trailer park. One day this local kid calls him a haole at recess and shoves him. My 200 lb 12 year old friend picks this kid up and body slams him like something straight out of WWF. He then stands up and does the people's elbow three times on this Hawaiian kid that's laying on the ground. The teacher came over and breaks it up and sends him to the office. No one messed with my buddy ever again.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Hey surfwordz, great stories. I'm curious, do you and your brother get along now?

I grew up with two older brothers but only one of them was an A-hole. He would destroy all of my toys and beat up me pretty much all the time. None of my friends wanted to come over to my house because they were terrified of him. He had 5 years on me so it wasn't much of a fair fight but I did manage to get him a couple times. Once, as he was walking away after kicking my ass I lunged for him and wrapped my arms around his lower legs and he went down like a sack of potatoes. He fell against the brick fireplace and cut his forehead open pretty good and had to go to the hospital.

Another time I'd done something to **** him off and he was chasing me through the forested trails around our house. I hid behind a big tree and then looked down and saw a big boulder about the size of a small melon. I picked it up and waited until I could hear him coming down the trail and then I jumped out and heaved it directly into his chest. It connected directly with his midsection and flattened him, knocking his wind out. He was making donkey noises, gasping for air and glaring at me. I didn't want to stick around in case he survived so I ran off and climbed a tree where I hid until it was dark out and I could hear my mother whistling for me to come to dinner.

We get along great now and laugh about all the crazy sh1t we did as kids.

Reactions: teeroi

surfwordz

Miki Dora status
Aug 27, 2002
F-53
Howzit everybody :)

Nah my brother and I get along for the most part, except for last week when I drove us over to the other side of the island to our moms house. Not even half way there we were already screaming at each other. Had to pull over on the new Bypass highway and get out the car just to get him to shut up, didn’t want to bring the neg vibes to moms yeah? He still ended up barking with her for a I bit. She ain’t got much more time on this earth and he gets her all haboot again. Aye kodeesh already!!

Aloha!

Reactions: teeroi and Aruka

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
About 8-9 yrs old when started riding the bus home alone. Bruddahs would brush by little haoles like me and slap the pockets. If they heard jingling... "Ey I like borrow quatah". Then the decision to: give bus money and walk home or keep it and try talk/cower way out of it or get slaps. Quickly learned to make small cuts on slippahs/shoes to stuff change in so no jingle:p

Also remember the first time seeing some haole kid at Sandys with his brand new Mach7 get asked by some local kid "Ey I like try dat board da buggah look mean". And the local kid got it, took one wave, and ran up the beach never to be seen again. Everyone just shrugged at the haole kid staring in disbelief while his board disappeared towards the bus stop on it's way to Waimanalo.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
You guys from Huntington Beach know Sumo Sato. I went to Castle High with him. He was a year or two older. His nickname was Sumo even back then. I used to call him Blaine. I wasnt sure if he had fully embraced that nickname.

My buddy Kirk had wood shop and he used to make skateboards. This was Zboy era, so the boards were around 7 inches wide. Kirk made me a koa skate board with a kick tail he glued on and shaped. Wheel wells, board was beautiful. It even floated when I shot it into the water at Uluwatus.

Anyway I was walking to class after Kirk gave me the deck after lunch. All the football players used to hang under the monkey pod tree between the cafeteria and band room. One of the big mokes asked to see my board. I reluctantly handed it over. Then he asked for a dollar to give it back. I was broke I just gave money to Kirk to pay for the wood in shop. Sumo walked up and told him give him back his board. The guy swore but gave it back. Sumo played football with the punk, I think his name was Mike. I had a few classes with Blaine and he liked me. Little four eyed Jap surfer/skater and chubby Jap jock/surfer. Thanks for the save Sumo RIP.

Reactions: Aruka

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Also remember the first time seeing some haole kid at Sandys with his brand new Mach7 get asked by some local kid "Ey I like try dat board da buggah look mean". And the local kid got it, took one wave, and ran up the beach never to be seen again. Everyone just shrugged at the haole kid staring in disbelief while his board disappeared towards the bus stop on it's way to Waimanalo.
Hahahaha! Waimanalo must have garages full of "borrowed" boogie boards. My buddy "lost" his BZ at Makapuu when we were groms.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Good thing it was only a few of the cats eyes, none of the Kini or Bambuchas tho, ..luckily. Still, it was pretty bad, main thing nobody saw except for this one high school kid that was holding up a suicide prevention sign with a bunch of his class mates (it was too funny, I had to laugh, kid probably thought I was crazy). I was driving down the highway screaming at the top of my lungs and punching the steering wheel as hard as I could, most pissed off I have been in years. Then I look at the sign he’s holding and then the kid it was classic! Thankfully I’m not the type to break things or hurt myself or do dumb shirt when having a really bad day (you be surprised how much abuse a steering wheel can take seriously). Anyways, losing marblez sucks! Which brings me to the question..

Is it better to lose your marblez or is it better to be booched of them? :socrazy: :)

Oh, come on man, that ain’t losing your marbles
Hope you’re having a good day, my friend
cowabunga
rg

Reactions: teeroi

surfwordz

Miki Dora status
Aug 27, 2002
F-53
Hey howzit surf cat?! :)

I tried searching YouTube for mexpipe Warriors but could only find last years contest. He got 2nd in his first heat but in the next heat the waves were all shirty and all closed out! Bummer, I was hoping he’d get more waves, really wanted to see him get barreled, yeah? Hopefully he gets more wildcard to WSL event. Actually I think he said he got a spot at Pipe this winter. Not sure what contest though. He should be home soon can’t wait to hear from him. Mahalo! Aloha!

Reactions: teeroi and Aruka