I wanna buy a van, anyone drive one on here?

Belchfire1

Nep status
Jun 27, 2013
Encinitas
Looking to have a work/weekend camper as a daily driver. Anyone have any experience with the new Ram or Ford full size vans? Can't bring myself to get a Sprinter due to the douchyness they convey, unless someone could present a compelling reason.

Thanks, Belch

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
How are sprinters douchy? Pretty solid vehicles.

The new ford transit 250 is a nice van. I rented one for a two day job and really liked driving it and it has a ton of room. The OG e series are a pain to drive around, but I'd jump on a 4x4 or a quigley. The rams look solid too.

Belchfire1

Nep status
Jun 27, 2013
Encinitas
I guess it comes down to the Mercedes luxury car thing, it's not me. Sprinters seem like capable rigs, for sure. But, the other brands have been coming out with some nice looking ones. I like the Ram, but I'm not sure they are built to last. Maybe I'm looking for a reason to spend the extra cash on a Sprinter.

Thanks, Belch

kpd73

Nep status
Apr 5, 2014
This is mine and is for sale in Rhode Island. The E-150 conversions- older ones - are absolutely unreal vehicles. I can't tell you how stoked I've been on mine and neither can others.

http://providence.craigslist.org/cto/5837851257.html

Dodge Rams rust out. Fast.
Sprinter Van's with a Mercedes Diesel engine is the DREAM. Grab one and do to it as you please. It's only as douchey as the person owning it. So much potential, and ROOM. Definitely do some research though, there were years that certain ones had issues. Good luck man!

Belchfire1

Nep status
Jun 27, 2013
Encinitas
Ram is FWD= better in snow on Mammoth trips and no drive shaft in the way so the floor can be lower and flat, easier to build out the cargo area.

Ford is RWD= better burnouts! Maybe stronger and more truck-like, not sure.

Belchfire1

Nep status
Jun 27, 2013
Encinitas
Think I saw your van at Goosewing around July 4th, I was visiting with some family in the area. We were bodysurfing, it was tiny.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
don't they make the ford transit in AWD?

the transits are built with variable wheel base and interior height.

they also have a modular design that seem to be primed for customized interiors.

I want one badly.

PES78

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 2, 2011
San Diego
I have a 99 express and the only issue I have are gas mileage and finding parking in busy places. I'm looking to downsize to the nissan nv200 at some point. If it's just you for camping and stuff I think it's the best one. The MB Metris would be ideal but it's out of my price range and repairs would be pricey.

bigtuna

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 29, 2010
NE
I have a 03 express and love it. Can confirm RWD is scary in the snow. Really fun around town with a foot of fresh pow /slush but almost died on the highway from a random fishtail while going in a straight line at 50 (there was an inch of snow on the ground if that and the tire marks weren't even white just wet). Yea went 20 the rest of the way, made for a really long night.

Vans kick ass. I don't know much about modern vans but buy arrowhead 3 liter water containers if you want a **** jug you can fit your wang in.

I'd say I have a weekender setup. Just a basic plywood and 2x4 bed/table with camping air mattress on top. A small dresser for clothes, plastic container for some dry food storage. Two burner propane camping stove and some camping pots. Oatmeal and tea starts the day. Mac and cheese dinner if you get one of those 16 oz milks somewhere. Veggies, fruit, nuts etc. bed 17" off the floor easily fits a handful of surfboards and or snowboard gear underneath. Don't let online floor plans fool you - cargo area width is shown as 4.5 ft or so which is actually the roof line. At the base or mid point it's right around 6'3" from sheet metal to sheet metal. Lots a room for sleep and sleep overs :p

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
I've got a Ram Promaster. Had it for just over a year. So far so good. Drives well and is surprisingly nimble. High roof and low floor is great for getting in and out of. Boards can stand straight up saving floorspace and headroom. I use mine for work as a plumbing contractor so it has racks and a ton of crap in it but every so often I'll clear it out and road trip down the coast. Ive got a REI cot that folds out on the floor and still leaves room for other stuff.

Only complaint is the Ram feels kinda cheap and tinny, probably won't last like the Sprinter. Then again my buddy already is having trouble with his water pump on his Sprinter at 30K.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
[img:left]https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3215/5875412381_42ea0672c4_b.jpg[/img]

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
I sold my Vanagon Westy for an 03 Eurovan camper (and paid less for it than I got for the Vanagon). They're kind of spendy, but if you take care of basic maintenance items (timing chain, waterpump and add a transmission cooler), they're pretty reliable. They're front wheel drive, but the later ones have an electronic diff lock and you can get a lift kit from GoWesty - very inexpensive to do, it's just a few pads and tightening the torsion bars up front. Mine does remarkably well offroad. I've had in a few sitch's where the difflock actuated (works by braking the spinning wheel) and it pulled right through. We'll see how it holds up for the next ten years. Oh, and it's stupid fast and nimble for its size.

Belchfire1

Nep status
Jun 27, 2013
Encinitas
I had a Eurovan that I lost my ass on. Paid 10k, one year later it munched a trans, 7k to fix, I ended up selling for 2k just to get it out of the driveway. No more VW's for me. They are really nice, but I'm still bitter.

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
I got lucky with mine - so far. Got it from GoWesty unrestored. Sank the money I made on the Vanagon into it to take care of the stuff you're mentioning. Fingers crossed.

The E150 Fords with V8's are pretty damn reliable. And parts are farking everywhere.