i love being at the beach, but.....

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
I've gotten food a couple of times pre-pandemic and it was good.
The south location is garbage compared to the north, while living in SC the two taco combo meal was a go to of mine. It's not proper mexican food but is serviceable.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Birria is made from young goats. Next you clowns will be making authentic Birria de Pargo o otra pendejada.

Corn is the staple. Fresh off the conveyor at the tortillaria with a hunk of chicharrón and salsa verde. If I had to eat packaged store bought tortillas it would be flour.

Me wife worked in a tortillaria when she was in middle school, stacking when they came off the conveyor and selling. A family of five would probably go through 2kg/day.

In the OC, there were tons of good places when I lived there. All over the place really. I don’t know about now but one could start by looking at the list of repeated health code violations.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
It goes without saying that the farther one gets from the border the more difficult it is to get high-quality authentic Mexican food. It can be done but it's a lot harder in Louisville than in Brownsville.

Reactions: keenfish

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Agreed on La Tiendita, straight legit. But I think it closed down iirc. The family sold the building or something like that. That being said, Cafe del Sol near the Stressles lot is owned by the same family, I think.
Hadn't heard of La Tiendita closing, but it's been a while since I've been there.

I had heard that Cafe del Sol was the same owner as well.

Reactions: sushipop

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Birria is made from young goats. Next you clowns will be making authentic Birria de Pargo o otra pendejada.

Corn is the staple. Fresh off the conveyor at the tortillaria with a hunk of chicharrón and salsa verde. If I had to eat packaged store bought tortillas it would be flour.

Me wife worked in a tortillaria when she was in middle school, stacking when they came off the conveyor and selling. A family of five would probably go through 2kg/day.

In the OC, there were tons of good places when I lived there. All over the place really. I don’t know about now but one could start by looking at the list of repeated health code violations.
Tortillerias kick ass. When we were kids and made a summer trip to Puebla to see the Gramps (early 70's), we'd go to the tortilleria daily. Fresh corn tortillas can't be beat. Flour tortillas are rare in most Mex households.

And yes, burritos were invented in Mexico 1000's of years ago, but those were of corn tortilla. The modern overstuffed flour tortilla burrito we all know and love, IS a stateside USA creation with a couple supposed origins in either AZ or San Francisco at least 70-120 years ago or more. Flour tortillas have grown to immense sizes, all because of the USA overstuffed burrito. Many times the super large flour tortilla is the highest calorie content item of the whole combination.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Flour tortillas have grown to immense sizes, all because of the USA overstuffed burrito. Many times the super large flour tortilla is the highest calorie content item of the whole combination.
That, and the places who use them do so because they can overstuff them with beans and rice while being Chichipenas with the meat :loser:

Making a well balanced burrito is kind of like filling up your plate on thanksgiving day- less is more, because you need to save room for all the components.

On that note, my favorite burritos are between King City and Salinas. Most are smaller and primarily meat with a small spoonful of beans, chopped onions, cilantro and salsa. That's it. No rice, lettuce, guac, sour cream etc. There's also a place on Market St that has a Subway style line where you tell them exactly what you want in it and get them immediately, with homemade tortillas on top of that :beer:

Reactions: Chile Verde

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
40 minutes? check your privilege ese. i don't think there's a decent taco in this entire godforsaken state.
@Aruka I had one of the best burritos in my life at this little convenience store/shop in some tiny coastal southern Oregon town while driving through. Guy smoked killer meats, made his hot sauces, etc. May be too far from you, but daaaaamn!!

• Love
Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
@Aruka I had one of the best burritos in my life at this little convenience store/shop in some tiny coastal southern Oregon town while driving through. Guy smoked killer meats, made his hot sauces, etc. May be too far from you, but daaaaamn!!
Pm me the deets homie!

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
That, and the places who use them do so because they can overstuff them with beans and rice while being Chichipenas with the meat :loser:

Making a well balanced burrito is kind of like filling up your plate on thanksgiving day- less is more, because you need to save room for all the components.

On that note, my favorite burritos are between King City and Salinas. Most are smaller and primarily meat with a small spoonful of beans, chopped onions, cilantro and salsa. That's it. No rice, lettuce, guac, sour cream etc. There's also a place on Market St that has a Subway style line where you tell them exactly what you want in it and get them immediately, with homemade tortillas on top of that :beer:
Reminds me El Sitio in Santa Barbara (3 locations), but they do use rice, which is very good.

Best burrito I have had in LA (so far) is a street stand on the corner of Alsace and Adams, between Fairfax and La Brea. Your choice of meats, beans, rice (optional), that's it. They hand it to you open and you can add your cilantro + onion mix/salsa(s)/whatever, you hand it back and they roll it up. They have grilled onions, too, that are killer. All the meat is stewed together (except the al pastor on the trompo), then they sautee it. Fuckinghell it's so good. $8 burrito. Tacos are $1.25. No lettuce, no sour cream.

Reactions: grapedrink