I love a Good "Good Book" thread

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
This is about the fighter pilot who invented energy-maneuverability theory then used it to design the A-10 and F-16 with his Acolytes against opposition from the entire MIC:
Later he went on to invent general theories of military strategy. He is probably the greatest military mind this country has ever produced and probably one of the best aeronautical engineers. This book is both inspiring and depressing.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Why depressing?
THere are no incentives for the MIC to do things right like make cheap effective jets. All the incentives are to spend a lot of money on ineffective crap we don't need because it feathers their nests. The MIC also clings to disproven dogmas such as Douhet's theory on strategic bombing because it feathers their nests. Consequently, when Boyd came along and developed an entire science behind aerial maneuverability and used it to design 3 aircraft, they turned his fighter designs into compromises with bombers even though there is no proof that bombing is effective and much proof to the contrary. The latest compromise is the F-35. I talked to an F-18 pilot who said the F-35 is a complete turkey in aerial combat, so you have an aircraft designed in the 1960s that can shoot down an outrageously expensive aircraft designed in the 90s, though R&D has taken almost 2 decades. The Air Farce is already planning a new fighter because of F-35 cost overruns. The F-18 itself was one of Boyd's prototype designs called the YF-17 except Boyd designed it to be much lighter and more maneurverable. The Navy stretched it into a compromise bomber.

I see this in plenty of other industries also. There is very little incentive to innovate and much incentive to just get more money out of the customer. Smart dudes just get wrecked by ankle-biters and turn to their own hobby projects which is why Pierre Sprey is working on audio amplifiers or something now.

Our bureaucracies are full of careerist imbeciles that stifle innovation and doing basic things right.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Just started this one on audiobook. Rinella is a great narrator, really enjoy when the authors narrate their books. Good one so far.

View attachment 110789
I read that one 5-10 years ago and enjoyed it. I like Rinella. I haven't heard him go down some of the same rabbit holes that other outdoor, hunting, gun guys go down. Then again, I don't search out his stuff all that thoroughly, but he seems to stay pretty down to earth.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Recent reads:

Yaa Gyaasi: Homegoing
The start was rough (in the content sense, not writing sense) but ultimately worth pushing through.

Patrisse Cullors & Asha Bandele When They Call You A Terrorist: A Black Lives Matter Memoir
Finishing this soon. Not revolutionary by any means, nor a literary masterpiece by any stretch, but some sections are interesting enough.

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: Half a Yellow Sun
This was good.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
I read that one 5-10 years ago and enjoyed it. I like Rinella. I haven't heard him go down some of the same rabbit holes that other outdoor, hunting, gun guys go down. Then again, I don't search out his stuff all that thoroughly, but he seems to stay pretty down to earth.
Yeah he’s a good combination of being a history buff and a story teller as well as an educated hunter.

Reactions: Bob Dobbalina

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
Stalingrad: The Fateful Siege
Well-written history on the battle that broke the Germans' back. I really enjoy how he combines the larger narrative with anecdotes.

Pacific Crucible
First in a trilogy focused on the war in the Pacific. Well written in that it gives context as to why commanders made decisions in the moment and a good explanation on naval thought when the war broke out.

The Expert System's Brother
All science fiction is social critique. Not as good as Children of Time but still enjoyable sci-fi

SFKneelo

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 11, 2003
Bay Area
Visit site
Finished a ‘Crime and Punishment(?)’ trio...

Bad Blood, John Carreyrou... the circus trial is now in town
Empire of Pain, Patrick Radden Keefe... the Sacklers should have been keel-hauled
Billion Dollar Whale, Wright and Hope... Jho Low goes big, and goes ?

Now on to Madhouse at the End of the World, and erBB Mr Dixon’s The Ocean

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
U recommend reading the series in order?
I don't know, man, its been 40 years since I read them so I can't remember enough about them to say one way or the other.

For whatever its worth, this is the order I'm planning on reading them.

Dune
Dune Messiah
Children of Dune
God Emperor of Dune
Heretics of Dune

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016

Cool Gray City of Love brings together an exuberant combination of personal insight, deeply researched history, in-depth reporting, and lyrical prose to create an unparalleled portrait of San Francisco. Each of its 49 chapters explores a specific site or intersection in the city, from the mighty Golden Gate Bridge to the raunchy Tenderloin to the soaring sea cliffs at Land's End.

This unique approach captures the exhilarating experience of walking through San Francisco's sublime terrain, while at the same time tying that experience to a history as rollicking and unpredictable as the city herself. From her absurd beginnings as the most distant and moth-eaten outpost of the world's most extensive empire, to her instantaneous fame during the Gold Rush, from her apocalyptic destruction by earthquake and fire to her perennial embrace of rebels, dreamers, hedonists and misfits of all stripes, the City by the Bay has always followed a trajectory as wildly independent as the untrammeled natural forces that created her.

This ambitious, eclectic, and beautifully written book draws on everything from on-the-ground reporting to obscure academic papers to the author's 40-year life in San Francisco to create a rich and insightful portrait of a magical corner of the world. Complete with hand-drawn maps ofthe 49locations, this handsome package will sit comfortably on the short shelf of enduring books about places, alongside E. B. White's Here is New York, Jose Saramago's Journey to Portugal, or Alfred Kazin's A Walker in the City.

Reactions: SFKneelo

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Finished this the other day. Solid one for the expecting

A candid, feminist, and personal deep dive into the science and culture of pregnancy and motherhood

Like most first-time mothers, Angela Garbes was filled with questions when she became pregnant. What exactly is a placenta and how does it function? How does a body go into labor? Why is breast best? Is wine totally off-limits? But as she soon discovered, it’s not easy to find satisfying answers. Your obstetrician will cautiously quote statistics; online sources will scare you with conflicting and often inaccurate data; and even the most trusted books will offer information with a heavy dose of judgment. To educate herself, the food and culture writer embarked on an intensive journey of exploration, diving into the scientific mysteries and cultural attitudes that surround motherhood to find answers to questions that had only previously been given in the form of advice about what women ought to do—rather than allowing them the freedom to choose the right path for themselves.

In Like a Mother, Garbes offers a rigorously researched and compelling look at the physiology, biology, and psychology of pregnancy and motherhood, informed by in-depth reportage and personal experience. With the curiosity of a journalist, the perspective of a feminist, and the intimacy and urgency of a mother, she explores the emerging science behind the pressing questions women have about everything from miscarriage to complicated labors to postpartum changes. The result is a visceral, full-frontal look at what’s really happening during those nine life-altering months, and why women deserve access to better care, support, and information.

Infused with humor and born out of awe, appreciation, and understanding of the female body and its strength, Like a Mother debunks common myths and dated assumptions, offering guidance and camaraderie to women navigating one of the biggest and most profound changes in their lives.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere in this thread before (or it should have been) but I am almost 2/3 of the way through this and really liking it. While I havent been to / surfed most of the waves he describes in detail, I have read quite a bit about all of them, and he is spot on.

Cool video here with the author at a book house event talking about it.