I just signed up with E*Trade ...

Trump2020

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 26, 2020
What do I do now I have about 10k liquid sitting around doing nothing.

I'm looking to making a lot of cash profit investments.

For yah troubles ....

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
wait for it to drop a bit then buy some index funds, come back in a few years and you should've profited nicely.

Reactions: Leaverite

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Unless you have access to some instant, realtime data. Monitoring the spikes 24/7.

You see a spike. You react to it.

It's already over and done with before you can react. All of these big trading houses our using massively complex algorithims

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
It's way over and done before you as a little peeon can even react/respond. You are allways on the downslide.

Peter1

Nep status
Jul 29, 2005
I'd hold onto anything liquid for now unless your nest egg is at least a year's worth of expenses.

But now is the time to buy, indexes are likely to drop further but in a few years the market will recover. So if you believe in the stock market, maybe half in a no-load index fund and split the rest among sector mutual funds...like, oh, I don't know...health care and transportation/energy? Health care seems like a midterm no brainer, and energy prices should rise when economies start up again, even with limited activities.

Or you could wait another month or so.

I wish I'd known what Congress knew 6 week ago. I'd have dumped everything and bought dollars.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I upped my 401k deduction (mostly index fund stuff) for the next couple months before returning it to normal later this summer, and funded the wifes ira. Put a little cash into a few picks that are way up since that last crater but will likely crater again and I will buy more again. other than that, yes sit on what cash you have and what income you can sell/shovel/hustle because we lost at least a quarter of so much activity, hopefully it’s not more that that but it could be, if out of human fear and abundant caution Alone. irregardless of how severe this thing really is

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Above my pay grade lol. I know What they all are in a general sense but I have full time chaotic job plus running the household finances etc. ain’t got time to be googling my puts and calls etc. I need a breath of downtime here and there, even if it is browsing erBB along with news, social, etc

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
People have made a killing selling puts recently but that is sketchy business. Margin calls aren't fun.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah no thanks. im facing a no doubt 2-3 month income decline, or longer, that I will feel starting in May or June. worried even about all the money I’m owed from 2019. virus sets the timeline right? don’t have the bandwidth for ninja trading right now. The basics, sure. good luck with your options plays (for real, make a bundle, and give away a little of it if you clean up

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
I was making daily trades the week of the 16th. Got very little sleep. Had to stop.