I feel like I lost my son today

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Bruh. this thread is depressing. My kid not even in grade school yet. Just the thought of him leaving my side makes me tremendously sad. Me and him have been connected at the hip since he was 2 since his mom had work all the time.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Boy did I have different parents.

"You know, when you turn 18, it is you choice to go to university or get a job and move out or get a job, stay and pay rent for 6 months before moving out."

And my mean older sisters didn't get treated differently. Do not recall any parental moist eyes when my sisters moved out at 18.

Maybe the folks hid things better back then?

Reactions: tenover

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA

"You know, when you turn 18, it is you choice to go to university or get a job and move out or get a job, stay and pay rent for 6 months before moving out."

And my mean older sisters didn't get treated differently. Do not recall any parental moist eyes when my sisters moved out at 18.

When our daughter moved away to college, it was tears for sure.

With our son, now that he's back from Jackson Hole and Panama, we're like, you need to move out, and pay rent until you do.

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura

When I graduated from H.S. my parent's said either go to college or move out. So I joined the Army.
My mom and girlfriend cried. A few months later my girlfriend dumped me and I became a free man. I also learned a great deal about responsibility from the Army. Our son can't join the armed forces because of a physical disorder so he's going to have to learn about life from those around him. He's incredibly smart, doesn't drink or do drugs, and can be highly motivated when he needs to be. So that'll work in his favor.

Reactions: Eimeo and Mr Doof

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.

Same here, day one after finishing school I was out the door.
Did not look back.

Reactions: tenover

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
man I went to boarding school starting at 13. I loved it for the most part and loved the independence it gave me at such a young age. And of course I treated my poor parents home like my own personal party pad whenever I was back for break. Other than a year or so in my very early 20s did I ever live year round with my parents, after the age of 13. I mean, their home was still “home” of course but I was only there about 3-4 months per year starting at a ripe young age

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
When I graduated from H.S. my parent's said either go to college or move out. So I joined the Army.
My mom and girlfriend cried. A few months later my girlfriend dumped me and I became a free man. I also learned a great deal about responsibility from the Army. Our son can't join the armed forces because of a physical disorder so he's going to have to learn about life from those around him. He's incredibly smart, doesn't drink or do drugs, and can be highly motivated when he needs to be. So that'll work in his favor.
Ya. The military is not a bad option. I did it too.

But its all fun and games until you end up in Iraq/Afghanistan/Vietnam (insert conflict of the year) cause some war pigs took office.

No chance I’d let my kid enlist if I can help it.

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
When my kids went away to school, I enjoyed missing them
Agreed. We love our daughters, and they are ALWAYS welcome to come home and stay for as long as they need to, but man.....Having a house that stays clean, and a refrigerator that only has food that we are actually GOING TO EAT is awesome.

And for some reason, I don't worry about them as much when they are away as I do when they are with us. When they are home, I still can't fall asleep until they are home safe. I guess it's an "Out of sight, out of mind" thing...

Eimeo

OTF status
Oct 18, 2005
Encinitas
Bruh. this thread is depressing. My kid not even in grade school yet. Just the thought of him leaving my side makes me tremendously sad. Me and him have been connected at the hip since he was 2 since his mom had work all the time.
Well my friend, all I can say is enjoy every moment you can. Teach, encourage, support, and love. I think I did all those things right, my son seems to be as good as anything I could have ever hoped for... which is what makes it so hard to let him go.

Eimeo

OTF status
Oct 18, 2005
Encinitas
Ahh yes, Eimeo, what you're experiencing is commonly known as "Empty Nest Syndrome". It would be safe to say not a loving parent in this world hasn't experienced this level of grief, as their progeny moves on, onto their next phase in life.
Yet, in spite of that nest, or shall we say, “castle” you've so wonderfully built, and also the pride this successful upbringing so provided, you feel empty, alone, depressed.
These are healthy, natural feelings, unmarred by self-pity, medicating your uncontrollable emotions on the sofa with a gallon of ice cream, a bottle of whiskey and a large stuffed crust NYC style bbq chicken pizza, or a fruitless attempt to furnish the key to your pain with such psychiatric exercises as Beck’s Depression Inventory, HDRS, or reciting the likes of Keats’, over and over as you weep for hours:

“I am now so depressed I have not an Idea to put to erBB — the tips of my fingers feel like lead to type — and yet it is an unpleasant numbness it does not take away the pain of existence…”

Eimeo, rather than diagnose and re-diagnose the problem and worsen your situation, you have wisely chosen to deal with the feelings and sought to others for advice with honor and courage. Congratulations! In addition to teaching your bird to fly, you have taught yourself how to help yourself.
Now move on, enjoy that empty nest. Next wave you catch, I want you to imagine your son riding behind you on that same wave, together, sharing the stock.
But remember, while your son flies higher, your wings will weaken as you age, and you will fly lower. But that is another time, another chapter, another post, and we look forward to helping you again kind Sir!

This is Dr Frasier Crane, wishing you all good mental health.

Good Night
Wow, now that was a reply! Great words and wisdom there. The last wave we rode he was in front of me, so I guess he owes me one! And yes, there was a bottle of rum involved that first night he was gone.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Left home at 17... only time I returned was when mom needed cataract surgery and was too scared to do both eyes at the same time.

Who cares if they cried?

Fook em!

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::monkey:

Reactions: Driftcoast