I don't believe in grovelers COME AT ME

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
bobby friggen rips

should we make this the unofficial grovel vid thread or start a new one? i can think of a couple other clips to post.

Reactions: MathDebater and JDJ

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
There is no midsize board that will out grovel a grovel board on micro waves. But that assumes the surfer is capable of surfing up to the standard of making a grovel bord work. The whole point of grovel boards is to go fast and hit turns without the need to constantly "do the hop" to make the board work. If a surfer is, through lack of ability or experience, incapable of generating speed through turns (like pumping a skateboard) then yes, he is going to need a midsize+. If you are unable to generate speed through technique, the best you are going to do is trim and flow with an occasional turn on an oversize board that enables you to catch the wave easier and doesn't require as much surfer input to generate speed. I'm not putting you down, but a man has got to know his limitations.

Santa Barbara surfers seem to learn to grovel. Because they don't have any waves in the summer time. Most of the time they drive to Ventura which has mostly micro waves during the summer. Grovel or go golfing.

Bonzer Grovel (But GWS! You can't grovel on a Bonzer! I've read that on the erBB dozens of times!)

Last edited:

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I surfed a high tide reform wave today that is a mix of little wedges and major flat spots. I almost exclusively surf this spot on my groveler (VS Manta) but today surfed in on a Twinsman. It was still completely doable and I got fun ones but the forgiveness and ease of surfing the spot on the groveler was missed. GROVELERS ARE REAL (for me). They make surfing mediocre waves more fun and increase my wave count.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I think a lota people wouldn’t even consider that a grovel wave. Depending on skill - could prob ride anything in those conditions.
that being said, I know a few bros that would turn their noses up/not bother surfing those conditions- no they do not have a grovel quiver.
my last wave today was just a hair bigger and I got two middle age man hacks on my HPSB

Sauce

OTF status
Oct 6, 2021
Wow, people consider Bobby's wave groveling?? You could ride anything in a waist-chest walled glassy wave like that. Southern NC groveling (90% of our waves) must equate to west coast unridable.

Benny B's wave--- in my hometown--- that was what we consider a fun as fug - great day.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Wow, people consider Bobby's wave groveling?? You could ride anything in a waist-chest walled glassy wave like that. Southern NC groveling (90% of our waves) must equate to west coast unridable.

Benny B's wave--- in my hometown--- that was what we consider a fun as fug - great day.
that wave was barely waist high on bobby who's what like 5'6"?

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
There’s a surf contest at my regular. Local Motion Surf Into Summer. It’s pretty small. Lot of my friends are on their grovel boars or borrowing grovel boars. You can watch it on the Surfline cams but it’s a snoozefest.

I think Gregg’s boar is 42Liters. He’s in the over 35 finals on Sunday at 3:30. Suppose to be even smaller. That’s why he’s flipping the bird on his turn. Haha.

0AF13391-DD45-46F5-B4B3-7670C71FB35E.jpeg