I don't believe in grovelers COME AT ME

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Sounds familiar. My first true groveler was too short and thick and I hated it. I have a better idea now of how short I can go in relation to my height before running into diminishing returns. I don't think you want the rail to be too much thicker than what you are used to on your thrusters because you still have to pump the thing.

I'm not going to try to steer you away from a midlength for small waves. If you are seeing an example of one being used at your local and you like the way it is surfed that seems like a no brainer. Just be sure to find one that has some low end because many of them have kind of a narrow tail and really don't come alive until the waves turn on. See Duffy's CI Mid thread for example.
Yep my It2win needs some push and far from groveler at 6'9" x20" x2.5" sting pintail twin.

Reactions: PRCD

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I can see why duuus just order another thruster and call it a day.
Totally. Squashy thruster is supremely versatile.

If you are a thruster duu and want something that keeps some of that familiar feeling but has much better low end I would recommend a grovel board with a fairly normal tail width (meaning, not super wide) made by a shaper who specializes in HPSB's. Don't go crazy on the volume but a couple liters above your favorite HP thruster probably wouldn't hurt for someone your size especially if it allows you to avoid going super short. Advantages vs. a small wave midlength or longboard would be that, provided the sizing is correct and you jive with the board, you can surf smaller and weaker waves with the same approach as your HP board, you can fit turns in on sections that are too tight for a longer board.

A few examples of grovel boards that aren't super wide and crazy feeling compared to a normal board:

Stamps Flare
Lost Puddle Jumper HP
CI Ultra Joe
JS Flaming Pony
Pyzel Gremlin

Last edited:

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
I would've agreed with this up until a month ago. I was either riding my HPSB or a 12' glider. No in-between. THEN, i got a Stamps Flare and it changed by mind. It's allowing me to surf vertical and aggressive in waist high waves. No other board i own will do what it's doing-even when i was on my A game.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I would've agreed with this up until a month ago. I was either riding my HPSB or a 12' glider. No in-between. THEN, i got a Stamps Flare and it changed by mind. It's allowing me to surf vertical and aggressive in waist high waves. No other board i own will do what it's doing-even when i was on my A game.
Waist high is not exactly grovel I am more impressed knee high board and how it performs:shrug:

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Reasons: for a smaller wave height and given rider weight, the board is not going to get on a plane unless the surface area is large-enough. for smaller wave heights, planing hulls require you either to go longer or wider or both, therefore you need more planing surface. If you don't go fast-enough to plane due to lower wave energy, your speed is going to be proportional to the board length given by
MOAR foam for a given length/width of a board will not acheive this - it will only float you better before take-off. It has little effect on planing characteristics and hull speed for a given lenght.

You just need a longer board for small waves - those high-price trendy grovelers depicted in videos with non-groveling waves will not help.

I have been drinking.
meet me at trestles and try the von sold mantra. or ask mattison for a demo. or better yet, borrow oceanslides. it'll change ur mind fast.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I like the compliments you get when running the lineup on a groveler among long boards and adult learner crutches.

id way rather pump down the line for no end section than set up a longbor line and hunch over like Quasimodo for duration of the wave.

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
This is a fun discussion and I do think there is some truth to what PRCD is saying

As with baseball's "three true outcomes" maybe there are only "three true surfboards" - the log, the thruster, and the step-up (edit: gun)

Maybe that comment will ignite an even bigger flame war!

As others have noted I also think it's funny when people bag on hunnington hoppers for not surfing "smoothly" enough in small waves. I'm not riding a goveler to please your aesthetics, I'm doing it to practice for the next time we get decent waves!! I do think there are some negative consequences though, riding a short, wide board all the time does change your approach when it turns on and there is a learning curve going back to a "normal" board. I'm hopeful the Scream I just ordered from Arakawa will have enough bottom-end range that I can keep riding it on smaller days to avoid this transition. I guess we'll see! I have a feeling I'll still end up on a "true" groveler occasionally, it's the east coast after all...

Last edited:

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
I've found as a taller guy I feel better keeping my boards within a few inches of my height. None of my current "grovel" sticks are under 6'. Few years back I had several boards well below 6' and while they were fun I prefer a bit more rail line. Feels better to paddle and doesn't feel as off when I switch back to my normal boards. Always see vids of guys riding these tiny grovel boards and then realize the board isn't that much shorter then their height. Maybe I'm just getting old.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I've found as a taller guy I feel better keeping my boards within a few inches of my height. None of my current "grovel" sticks are under 6'. Few years back I had several boards well below 6' and while they were fun I prefer a bit more rail line. Feels better to paddle and doesn't feel as off when I switch back to my normal boards. Always see vids of guys riding these tiny grovel boards and then realize the board isn't that much shorter then their height. Maybe I'm just getting old.
Same. I weigh more and use more volume. Rather than stuff it into a board my height, my boards are 2" longer than me. More rail line is better. I don't think I would order a groveler less than an inch or two shorter than me, because you still need the volume to paddle and you don't want a super-thick boar that feels corky. I'll have to talk to one of these shapers who are good at making these boards.

I think the older you get the more you figure out what works.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Being shorter 5'8" last few years I have gone with longer rails as well from 5'6" to height dd type boards with low end.

Reactions: j_mac and emmohl80