I’M GONNA MISS SOME OF YOU CLOWNS...

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
...and some of the “normals” as well!

this place was pretty reliable for a few/many laughs (and some solid info too...) over the years.

the eulogies here for the mag (& it used to be great!), and the mentions of the big soggy mess* that a lot of the “surf experience” has become, made me think of something christopher hitchens (rip) wrote a ways back.

he was railing on in a mag about something (maybe xenophobia? or price gouging for top quality gin?), i’ve forgotten.

but the bit i remember was at the end of the piece, he wrote, that the biggest “lie” that “they“ would ever tell you was that “you will be overrun”.

if you live in hawaii, if you live in ca., if you live at the beach, if you’ve been surfing for 10, 20, 30 years, wasn’t he absolutely full of sh*t? :drowning: or just wrong.

kudos to the ones that pull off an escape!

* miki dora’s description, from a long time ago...:roflmao:

Reactions: gbg

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point

this place was pretty reliable for a few/many laughs (and some solid info too...) over the years.

the eulogies here for the mag (& it used to be great!), and the mentions of the big soggy mess* that a lot of the “surf experience” has become, made me think of something christopher hitchens (rip) wrote a ways back.

he was railing on in a mag about something (maybe xenophobia? or price gouging for top quality gin?), i’ve forgotten.

but the bit i remember was at the end of the piece, he wrote, that the biggest “lie” that “they“ would ever tell you was that “you will be overrun”.

if you live in hawaii, if you live in ca., if you live at the beach, if you’ve been surfing for 10, 20, 30 years, wasn’t he absolutely full of sh*t? :drowning: or just wrong.

For as this appalling ocean surrounds the verdant land, so in the soul of man there lies one insular Tahiti, full of peace and joy, but encompassed by all the horrors of the half-known life. God keep thee! Push not off from that isle, thou canst never return!”

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006

You aint going nowhere.

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
Fark N’ A Donuts...

This place (The Mag and the erBb) were “All Time” in my life.

My First Surfer Mag was the summer of 1984 (I’ve never let my sub lapse) Then later down the road, I remember seeing some heading for the erBB in the “contents” section of the mag or what ever that column is in the beginning of magazines listing who the editors were etc. (another memory or bit of trivia now trapped in time.)

When I pulled up my Netscape Browser, typed in the erbb, (can‘t remember if I was on cable internet at that time or heard those rad pings and pangs from a 56.6k modem connection)...that’s when I found the BANTER.

You guys were, and are, farking hilarious! I loved dipping my feet in, egging it on, taking it on the chin...just because, Why The Fark Not?

IT WAS INTELLIGENT! Thought provoking... made me a better person...all while my writing skill progressed.

My English teachers, I’m sure some day, will pat me on the back for diving in.

Thinking back. I lived across the street on La Jolla Blvd from GEO and those SaltWaterDream dudes. They used to throw party’s all the time but I was always intent on hitting bars.

I opened a Deli here in town and had an erBB as an employee. erBB’s guys would head in from time to time. Worst time of my life to be honest. My biggest (what happened to the head slap emociton guy?) WTF and why didn’t I see this ahead of time was the name of the Deli, (it was a Franchise) Blimpie’s. Great quality, but the biggest caveat I didn’t see was the name itself. Women loved coming in but they would never take our food back to the office. Then it hit me, I was fu(ked! What women want’s to have the words “Blimpie” sitting on their desk? Jersey Mike’s, regardless of what they say, was derived from Blimpie’s and he was an employee at one.

Another erBB moment is that I had my first MS attack on a boat trip to the Mentawai’s in 2001 with an ErBBer. I had no idea that it was an MS attack at the time, but piecing things together, it all falls in Line. I could barely stand up properly after the first day. I thought it was an Anti-Malaria reaction - the captain of the boat knew something was up, so he and I smoked hash nightly for two weeks. Hot humid heat is a No No for me. Once I hit Bali and had A/C in my room did I get back to a little bit normal.

Of course hearing of the departure of “The Man” was the hardest.

Never met him, but may he, and all of us, Reign.

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
Oh, how could I forget...I got some holes in my head.

I went to the Phiippeans back in 1997. This is right after Surfer Mag sorta broke Cloud 9 in print back in 95’. A few guys from San Diego set up shop shortly after and went full Troppo. The shower was a dug out hole, you used a bucket to rinse, but they made the coolest huts. Drinking water was harvested from rain water dripping off banana leaves

Great food, they made a traditional Philippino boat (The Aussie camp in front of Cloud 9 had a zodiac, but the locals ((they didn’t surf at that time, true locals)) would take knives to the supple vinyl). I still remember some inate instinct that made me run to the front of the boat heading out in the evening while a huge building swell was coming in. The engine was stalling and remember I just wanted some weight for the front of the boat to be able to go down the back of the wave...and till this day, I still don’t know what bit me two nights in a row but the bite made me almost want to cry from the pain. Paying dues.

Raddest rip of my life. Got to eat oxen tail at the mayors house in Pilar with the guys during the town celebration fair. The waves were unreal, and we drank warm beer every night - no refrigeration...and got to hunt for Kine Loa (sp?) with an old lady in the reef during low tides. Epic.

The person who set up the first American camp in Surigoa Island is an erBber. Didn’t find that out until ten years later. Rad sh!t.

Last edited: