Hyundai Santa Cruz - why are we still calling these pickup trucks?

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
People will trash it but I'd venture it is sufficient for 95% of truck owners.

But owning a truck is a dick measuring contest for most people.
GF’s brother is a tattooer in the South Bay. He’s now on his second leased F-150. Both have been heavily modded with aftermarket wheels, tires, exhaust, suspension, led lightbars, etc. He put thousands into a vehicle he does not own and almost never takes off-road and almost never has a reason to load the bed. I think he took it camping a couple times. But I think he feels pretty cool driving it around Hermosa.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

bobwarren

Nep status
Feb 24, 2016
Neptune Beach FL
my dad has a ridgeline. first scoffed at it but it has insane locking space under the bed, had decent room in back seat, good mileage, and is a honda. It's actually pretty sick. Guy that just installed the electronics on my boat has one and loves is. his tools fit in the compartments under the bed and when he's done working it's all out of the way. not for everyone but I can see why it's cool,

I have a toolbox on my truck bed for that. It's lockable and I can still actually use the bed. If you have storage space under the bed....you can't use the bed. Or if you do, you can't access your things under the bed until you unload it.

bobwarren

Nep status
Feb 24, 2016
Neptune Beach FL

Most people don't even need a standard sized sedan. By that logic, we should all drive one of those micro econo sh!t boxes like a Nissan Leaf.

A bed that small is useless. Even the 5.5 ones on most trucks nowadays are basically useless.

Reactions: bluemarlin04

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

I agree by all means.

I just think for something to be labeled a truck it should first and foremost have the capability of hauling a few pieces of lumber and plywood with ease.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
GF’s brother is a tattooer in the South Bay. He’s now on his second leased F-150. Both have been heavily modded with aftermarket wheels, tires, exhaust, suspension, led lightbars, etc. He put thousands into a vehicle he does not own and almost never takes off-road and almost never has a reason to load the bed. I think he took it camping a couple times. But I think he feels pretty cool driving it around Hermosa.
People modify lease vehicles? Just why

• Haha
Reactions: LifeOnMars

bobwarren

Nep status
Feb 24, 2016
Neptune Beach FL
If truck people truly actually cared about vehicle capability then they would own a work van. Nothing can touch them. But, they don't look cool so....

There's a reason almost every pro contractor has a work van and not some bling F-150.

No most contractors have lifted $80k Denalis because they can write them off :drowning:

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
My favorite are the lifted trucks that have to use an adapter to lower their trailer hitch a foot or two to properly tow a trailer.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Most people don't even need a standard sized sedan. By that logic, we should all drive one of those micro econo sh!t boxes like a Nissan Leaf.
The problem is the barneys of the world are now the core group to whom the pickup market is catering.

And this is the main reason the small pickup with a normal size bed has disappeared from the USA market.

Reactions: npsp and grapedrink

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
People modify lease vehicles? Just why
Because they’re stupid. He claimed he was gonna buy the last one until he didn’t. I think he put the factory wheels back on but ate it on the suspension and exhaust because it would be too much work to restore. The dealership will take it back with the mods, but they won’t give you a dime for them.

• Haha
Reactions: LifeOnMars

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Can you haul lumber and plywood with ease in a short box crew cab 1500?

My minivan hauls lumber and drywall better than most 1/2 ton trucks on the road.
I’m not disagreeing. But it’s a tradeoff issue. When you need to haul debris or take stuff to the dump the pickup comes in handy.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Never seen an "adaptor". I think you mean an adjustable hitch. It's more to do with different trailer heights than anything.
whatever you want to call it, if you have to lower your hitch a foot or two, you didn’t need that lift. You’re just compensating for your small pepis or man parts.

My brother in law legit uses heavy trucks for his work in construction. He used to have a Tundra with an air suspension for carrying loads and his new job gave him a new truck. Don’t recall the model. But I once tore the ass of my jeans open lifting my leg to climb into it.

bobwarren

Nep status
Feb 24, 2016
Neptune Beach FL
Most people here still use trucks as trucks though. I don't know about in California, but around here most people where I live have boats, haul surfing and fishing great, haul kayaks, etc. Not to mention many do use them for actual work.

bobwarren

Nep status
Feb 24, 2016
Neptune Beach FL
whatever you want to call it, if you have to lower your hitch a foot or two, you didn’t need that lift. You’re just compensating for your small pepis or man parts.

My brother in law legit uses heavy trucks for his work in construction. He used to have a Tundra with an air suspension for carrying loads and his new job gave him a new truck. Don’t recall the model. But I once tore the ass of my jeans open lifting my leg to climb into it.
I've never seen it be a foot or two. So that's new to me. I just meant the ones with maybe 6 inches of adjustment.

bobwarren

Nep status
Feb 24, 2016
Neptune Beach FL
I’m not disagreeing. But it’s a tradeoff issue. When you need to haul debris or take stuff to the dump the pickup comes in handy.

Exactly. There's a lot of stuff I just don't want in the main compartment of my car. Fishing stuff, nasty wetsuits, etc. Not to mention debris or tall/bulky items.

Trucks aren't just about hauling heavy or big things.