Hypothetical Lineup Engineering

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
yes i often think of making my local spots better

so every time i paddle out i bring a couple rocks wih me and drop em where i'd like a reef to be

its been 25 years and theres no reef yet, but its become very popular to surf anyhow

Tarab_ish

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 14, 2018
Another project that could help the 805 is to remove the matilija dam, which is completely full of sediment that should have run to the ocean already. I think that's in the works(?) but I'm not sure of the timeframe. In 2005ish when I was in high school down there there was an unusually large rain and sand movement and that new year's morning, and the whole rest of that winter, C street was an actually legit wave. That first morning of it was I think the best I've ever seen it.

Jonahbrah

Nep status
Sep 20, 2019
BMore
I think you can go beyond a reef or structure nearshore. I think about how the Sloughs, Overhead, Pipe, Nellscott and many other places have great inside waves based alot on what the outer waves do. Not only does IB refract and wedge but it catches steeper norths that miss the rest of the coast.

The point is we could dump some outer reefs and probably get great inside waves.

Reactions: Boneroni

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
Another project that could help the 805 is to remove the matilija dam, which is completely full of sediment that should have run to the ocean already. I think that's in the works(?) but I'm not sure of the timeframe. In 2005ish when I was in high school down there there was an unusually large rain and sand movement and that new year's morning, and the whole rest of that winter, C street was an actually legit wave. That first morning of it was I think the best I've ever seen it.
There was a recent article about it. i think they said 2028 was the earliest and thats definitely not happening as they are doing projects down river to accommodate all the sediment and water flow.That 2005 winter was all time at river mouth to pipes

Reactions: Tarab_ish

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
ACOE dredging in NJ generally destroys the bathymetry but there is often a short term silver lining. A few times in history, dredging has created a “point break” that can be pretty good. Rare and short lived but super fun. Happened in LbI the last time Long Beach township was dredged. Good memories.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I had a friend in high school who was constructing a reef. He would paddle out ever time with a big cobble and drop it off in a position he triangulated. Unfortunately his was another failed attempt and I see no evidence of his reef now.

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
I have always dreamed of that. Ever since I saw the Wilbur Kookemeyer where Wilbur and Co. Drove cars off the pier, for this reason, but cooincidentally ruined the spot.
Maryland dredges and replaces sand every coulpe of years. Over the years I've caught a couple little tempory spots which is fun but I also fell right onto the pipe once which was surprisingly painful.
Those diagrams came from the book "Heavy Weather Sailing" by K. Adlard Coles, it has some heavy knowledge when it comes to seas and weather.

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
They just this week started another round of replenishment this week, and my friend is gonna be watching the progress this winter to see if we might need to check it on any ole swell just in case.
Other then the initial novelty and prominent angular sandbars at the edge, it ruins most of our beachbreaksfor a while.

Reactions: sdsrfr

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
From an interview w shaw mead:
Yeah thats right. Sculpting [the ocean floor] does have legs. We recently did a study last year looking at a site in Baja, Mexico that was an almost-break. It has some bombies in the way and a poor peel angle. They are building a small resort nearby so we looked into changing the bathymetry to make the wave out front more surfable. We submmitted 4 designs including a 100m wave and 400m wave. The latter would be created by removing up to 50,000 cubic meters of material. Unfortunately the project hasn’t yet moved forward.

Well I hope you find other similar opportunities.

At the end of the day, we’re trying to understand offshore structures and their affect on wave preconditioning and breaking, hoping to find some better ways that waves can be built by humans.

We’re cheering for you all the way. See you at the Surf Park Conference next month, Shaw!

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
ACOE dredging in NJ generally destroys the bathymetry but there is often a short term silver lining. A few times in history, dredging has created a “point break” that can be pretty good. Rare and short lived but super fun. Happened in LbI the last time Long Beach township was dredged. Good memories.
I've been surfing the same stretch of beach since 1982. In the early 90s they began regularly pumping sand on this stretch of beach. Pumping this stretch of beach has improved the surf tremendously. On the flip side the towns to the North of me have been totally screwed by the pumping they've gotten. Luckily my stretch of shoreline has a good bit of curve to it and evenly spaced jetties along the curve. Also the dredge pulls sand off a sandbar that in my youth blocked swell energy from reaching the beach.

elcalvo

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2004
NE
One of my favorite New England waves is man made.
On the other hand, my day to day beach break was ruined by a river dredging project a few years back.
Must have changed the littoral flow and has not yet recovered.

Reactions: Jonahbrah
Feb 20, 2017
Using explosives might not be as controllable. I had a lobster spot where there was a big crack in a rock that housed a big bug. I couldn’t get him out on several attempts at the end of one season. I went back in off-season to check he was there. Opening day of the next season had a pumping sw swell breaking 6’ right on my rock. It was a murky washing machine, I went to go pull the bug and the rock had broken to pieces and the bug was gone. I think a number of well placed drill holes would be best and let Mother Nature finish the work. Water erosion and wave force can do a lot.

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Before that, dude that lived on the cliff brought in a back hoe, and dregged himself a boat ramp. Had his how escalator for the boat to top of the cliff. That wave was perfection knee high peaks in 1 foot of water. Both spots basically unsurfable unless you had no car and no other options.
No mention of greatest man-made wave in US? The Wedge!

Need more pics. I circled my childhood home for youse. What this pic doesn't really show is the reef that sticks up out the water most of the time.

Probably take Casa all of 2 minutes to find this.
1634738885472.png