Hypothetical Lineup Engineering

Jonahbrah

Nep status
Sep 20, 2019
BMore
Has anyone dreamed of altering certain lineups?

For instance, I've always thought it would be pretty cool if you had an underwater demolitions team blowup the rocks on the inside at Mavericks and add a shallow artificial reef to the end of the bowl so it stays open.

Or what if you added an artifical reef somewhere south of Balboa Pier with the deepwater.

Anyone else imagine this stuff?

Reactions: Boneroni

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
haven't all the artificial reef projects failed with sand filling in around the reef structures ? I vaguely recall one being built ten or more years ago and it worked for awhile then shut down. Would be cool if that long beach project happened

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Me and crew made a spot in 1980. There's a little cobble point, but the rocks were too steep. We spent afternoons rolling boulders and smoothing it out. I think I was the only one that ever surfed it for more than one wave. We would have to wait for 6' + tide and 175 degree swell, and then I could catch some thigh high. Length of ride, and not hitting rocks were the measures of performance.

Before that, dude that lived on the cliff brought in a back hoe, and dregged himself a boat ramp. Had his how escalator for the boat to top of the cliff. That wave was perfection knee high peaks in 1 foot of water. Both spots basically unsurfable unless you had no car and no other options.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
There was a pretty epic man made novelty wave in my local that I got crazy good once, but it’s gone now (or at least I’m pretty sure it’s been changed to much to work again.)

I think there’s an artificial reef on the Gold Coast that gets pretty good. I never surfed it but saw it good.

and one in India I think?

Reactions: santacruzin

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
don't they do something with old railroad cars? not for surf, but for marine habitat, and probably in much deeper water...but i always wondered about the possibilities for surf.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
don't they do something with old railroad cars? not for surf, but for marine habitat, and probably in much deeper water...but i always wondered about the possibilities for surf.
Easier to roll a semi truck and go full throttle to favorite spot as far up the beach and hopefully as close to surf as you can reach :shrug:

Reactions: santacruzin

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Has anyone dreamed of altering certain lineups?

For instance, I've always thought it would be pretty cool if you had an underwater demolitions team blowup the rocks on the inside at Mavericks and add a shallow artificial reef to the end of the bowl so it stays open.

Or what if you added an artifical reef somewhere south of Balboa Pier with the deepwater.

Yes all the fkn time, in several formats, with several areas in mind.

1. Bent/short Sebastian Jetty. For high impact beaches with relatively nearshore sandbars. Wedge on the upcurrent side, shoal out the back downcurrent. Basically to create a First Peak and a Monster Hole.

2. Detached windblocker jetty. Detached so the beaches to the South don't get as starved, and we East Coasters can have another place to hide behind when it's sideshore and howling.

3. Rockpiles to create refraction/wedges. Basically, dump a buncho-sh!t out the back of known zones, so when a wall comes in, it shoals, peaks up, and the waves bend off it, fabricating peaks

4. Surf pilings. You could probably put wind turbines on 'em. Basically to mimic a pier - wave shoaling off the pilings, some wind/chop help, channel along the pilings with improved adjacent sandbars.

5. Hole dredging. Beach renourishment projects sourcing nearshore sand, the sand vacuum should be operated so it creates a little mini channel that the swell can bend/peak off of.

Probably about a gazillion different ways to manage rivermouths or 'almost' points with rock problems.