Has anyone dreamed of altering certain lineups?
For instance, I've always thought it would be pretty cool if you had an underwater demolitions team blowup the rocks on the inside at Mavericks and add a shallow artificial reef to the end of the bowl so it stays open.
Or what if you added an artifical reef somewhere south of Balboa Pier with the deepwater.
Anyone else imagine this stuff?
Yes all the fkn time, in several formats, with several areas in mind.
1. Bent/short Sebastian Jetty. For high impact beaches with relatively nearshore sandbars. Wedge on the upcurrent side, shoal out the back downcurrent. Basically to create a First Peak and a Monster Hole.
2. Detached windblocker jetty. Detached so the beaches to the South don't get as starved, and we East Coasters can have another place to hide behind when it's sideshore and howling.
3. Rockpiles to create refraction/wedges. Basically, dump a buncho-sh!t out the back of known zones, so when a wall comes in, it shoals, peaks up, and the waves bend off it, fabricating peaks
4. Surf pilings. You could probably put wind turbines on 'em. Basically to mimic a pier - wave shoaling off the pilings, some wind/chop help, channel along the pilings with improved adjacent sandbars.
5. Hole dredging. Beach renourishment projects sourcing nearshore sand, the sand vacuum should be operated so it creates a little mini channel that the swell can bend/peak off of.
Probably about a gazillion different ways to manage rivermouths or 'almost' points with rock problems.