Hypochondria

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I carry a gun to protect me from Covid.
Post a picture of your gun, either firearm or surfboard, or beat it liar.

I already have (both). It isn’t difficult if a barely high school graduate can do it (me).

You won’t do it. You skared.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
You have to admit, CV-19 has helped legitimize hypochondriacs and germaphobes to the point of being leaders of the community in some urban/suburban hoods.

Around here (coastal S. Oregon), these people are still what they were 2-3 years ago. Masks are optional everywhere, and many ignore or don't use them indoors shopping or restaurants.

It's more or less treated as a security blanket. Which is what I felt it was from the very beginning.

Yes, people have died from it. Most with comorbidities (obese, compromised health issues).

It's time to move on and not hide from it anymore. It will be with us for years. There will always be another variant to "fear", if you let it. Sometimes more info is too much info, and this feeds the mass hypochondria mindset of some.

Kind of like that submerged rock at your favorite surf spot. You know it's there, just surf around it.
You can be afraid of it, it you let it. Know it's there, but have fun dodging it.
I led a 30-something healthy guy through a series of socratic questions contesting his idea that we can't go back to normal and still need to wear masks and socially isolate today. His grammar school son is wearing masks in school and they never did this in Europe and there are no RCTs supporting it. He refers to kids as disease vectors.

Him: "Well, the virus will spread!"
Me: "But we have vaccines."
Him: "But the kids haven't been vaccinated."
Me: "But they're more likely to be struck by lightning than hospitalized from COVID."
Him:"But Omicron is surging!"
Me: "But it's milder than Delta and we have vaccines that prevent hospitalization. We all got it last week and it lasted about a day. It was milder than a cold. My kids got slightly sicker even though they were unvaccinated."
Him: "But they can still bring it home to grandma.:
Me: "They can do that even if vaccinated, and grandma can get vaccinated."
Him: "But the Supreme Court just ruled that not everyone has to get vaccinated, so we have to stop the spread to the unvaccinated!"
Me: "Why is this my problem or my obligation? I'll stay home if sick like I did last week, but otherwise I have my own problems to deal with. They can get vaccinated. My obligations do not extend beyond staying home if sick, which is where they were before COVID."

On and on we went. Finally I reminded him that this would likely ruin his upward trajectory in the company and mid-career guys like us were getting screwed having spend 5% of our lives in COVID mitigation. I don't think they're actually thinking through any of this. I think they're trying to conform to a narrative (regime propaganda) and to each other. It's a hivemind of the most-leftward part of the electorate that Biden is trying to appease while the other 75% of us are done with this.

Then he moved onto the threat of low-cost index funds (Vanguard) to ARE DEMOCRACY and I had to counsel him that this narrative was likely to screw guys like him and enrich billionaires.

NGMI.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Post a picture of your gun, either firearm or surfboard, or beat it liar.

Ok, always willing to trot out this image from the early 00s.

PS
Should have had this board with me this past Saturday and Sunday. But nooooo, I had to prove something to myself on a 7'6" and see more than a few waves go right by me.

Then he moved onto the threat of low-cost index funds (Vanguard) to ARE DEMOCRACY and I had to counsel him that this narrative was likely to screw guys like him and enrich billionaires.
Low cost index funds are a threat? How/Why?

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
There were big lines of people getting tested here a couple weeks ago. Clogged up the med center so we bailed on getting my son‘s ankle x-ray.

Probably around 70 people. They had two lines. Those who were feeling sick in one and those who felt fine in the other.

None of those people were in the feeling sick line.
Beware of the sample size.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
100% wrong

Look at all the people who said they were getting tested on here "just because"
100% wrong

Most people here got tested because they either started feeling shitty or somebody in their household tested positive.

Also, anecdotal evidence is not evidence.

Just like your ITS IMPOSSUBLE THAT TRAMP LOST AZIRONA BECUS I SAW MANY FLAGS vomit.

• Haha
Reactions: afoaf

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
You seem like you fear government overreach.
My job is keeping regulated businesses in compliance with regulations. I work with government employees from a multitude of agencies on a daily basis.

Yes, I fear government overreach. If you have experienced what I have you’d fear it too.

• Haha
Reactions: plasticbertrand

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
My job is keeping regulated businesses in compliance with regulations. I work with government employees from a multitude of agencies on a daily basis.

Yes, I fear government overreach. If you have experienced what I have you’d fear it too.
So let me get this straight, you make your living off of regulations while spending your days crying on the internet about regulations? :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point

So would you consider your fear virtuous?

It sounds virtuous to me.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Low cost index funds are a threat? How/Why?
I think he read this in the news. :shrug: He said Vanguard was the largest shareholder in some big corporations. I replied, "Well, last I checked half the money in the market was indexed through Vanguard or Fidelity, so that's probably why. AFAIK Vanguard doesn't invest in individual stocks." Then I explained the history of index funds and Bogle and suggested, "Where are the customers' yachts?" and "A Random Walk Down Wall Street."

Bogle gored some oxes:

Reactions: Mr Doof