Hydroshort XTR custom

Geopac

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 28, 2003
Ballast Point
Ordering this board with custom dims and looking to get some feedback on volume. This will be my first XTR and curious how different it will be performance wise compared to a JS HYFI which I have been riding for the past 5 years. I've demoed TOMO Helium boards and they feel super buoyant but sounds like XTR closed cell tech wont have that same feel, at least I hope not. I'm 6'1" 200 lbs. Do I stick with similar volume that I've always had in my JS' (34-35L) or do I up the volume due to the Hydroshort design?

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
XTR definitely feels more buoyant than regular PU. That being said, I've always just stuck with my standard dims and don't put much value into volume.

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
They usually recommend dropping 1 liter off your PU board to get something similar. If its for groveling maybe you want to stay the same to get some extra float. You can always shoot them an email, they are good about responding.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I honestly don't find it noticeable. I order the same dims I would in PU.

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
I'd stick with the same volume as your JS, but keep in mind that the Hydroshort design has a wide outline so it should float you more than the JS design (not less). As a personal suggestion i would request a more foiled rails due to the buoyancy of XTR and since the hydroshort is a HPSB design.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

Geopac

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 28, 2003
Ballast Point
Based off my previous boards, types of waves I surf, and Shea's recommendations I went with these dimensions:

TOMO Hydroshort XTR Squash
- 6'1" x 20.25 x 2 5/8 35.5L
- Parallel carbon with tail patch
- 8.C XTR glassing
- Full color (Blue w/ black rails)
- Future 5 fin

Should be ready for pickup June 25, then its straight to Southern Mexico to christen it.

Geopac

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 28, 2003
Ballast Point
Picked up my new XTR Tomo Hydroshort today in Oceanside and headed straight to Lowers to break her in. All I can say is WOW.. surfing is gonna be so much more fun on this board. It rides like a hot knife through butter, so responsive and fast, wave catching machine. I wish I was more educated on XTR in the past as I would have been riding one much sooner. I HIGHLY recommend ordering one of these gems.xtr1.jpgxtr2.jpgxtr3.jpgxtr4.jpg

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
So what's the rocker like on the Hydrosquash now?

I know it's gone through a couple of iterations.

Does it fit better as a hpsb, step down, or all-arounder?

Reactions: ANIMA

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
So what's the rocker like on the Hydrosquash now?

I know it's gone through a couple of iterations.

Does it fit better as a hpsb, step down, or all-arounder?
I think the board is the perfect DD/ All arounder. I actually think it would be a perfect board for you in SC.
I got the 5'5 and says 24.1L but it paddles and feels more like 24.5L. The rails are 2 1/4 and feels perfect.
The 5'6 felt a little thick in the rails but still felt good as well.
I highly recommend you try one out. Tomo said the rocker is similar to the SKX. FWIW... probably the best Tomo design i've ever ridden.

Reactions: jkb and redrider

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I think the board is the perfect DD/ All arounder. I actually think it would be a perfect board for you in SC.
I got the 5'5 and says 24.1L but it paddles and feels more like 24.5L. The rails are 2 1/4 and feels perfect.
The 5'6 felt a little thick in the rails but still felt good as well.
I highly recommend you try one out. Tomo said the rocker is similar to the SKX. FWIW... probably the best Tomo design i've ever ridden.
Cool, thanks!

I do really like the SKX.