Hydrofoil / foil board - are you that interested?

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
1. It looks cool and I'm sure it's fun. Besides the hopping/pumping.

2. The hopping/pumping looks f*cking horrible.

3. Someone is going to get killed or maimed by one of those.

4. Not looking forward to wide acceptance and use by idiots (see: SUK).

5. Not interested.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
is a foil better than a straight SUP?

they do some interesting things.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
rice said:
3. Someone is going to get killed or maimed by one of those.

4. Not looking forward to wide acceptance and use by idiots (see: SUK).
Don't be a xenophobe.

Foilboards are part of life now. Get used to it.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
looks fun
boards look even faster than roys
and u can shoulder hop so far out, u dont ruin anyones wave. as far as being the future, average surfers dont use the pocket or lip, so this is perfect for them
lets see someone get tubed on one

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
lets see someone get tubed on one

"bubbles / foam / whitewater" create "no push"
the momentum is lost in the whitewater
"swell" is mostly constant, you can go from push to push (swell to swell, hence, the "hopping" on the foil looking for another push)
whitewater runs out of "push"

yeah, I know ... lame explanation but ..... :confused2:

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I'd like to try one out on the deep water spot way offshore that only breaks on huge 5-year swells. Might be fun to carve some snowboard turns on the swells that don't break. Plus, nobody around but the sharks.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
that looks like so much fun. i assume the New Zealand guy paddled into it with his hands, whereas the other guys have paddles....i'm guessing the SUP-style foils have a wider range of possibilities because of the extra push of the paddle. can anyone recommend a retailer and/or a reasonably priced set-up?

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
https://www.mentormob.com/kiteboarding/product-for-kiting-equipment-features-and-repairs/making-your-own-kiteboarding-board-and-hydrofoil/building-a-hydrofoil-for-kiteboarding

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsYC-hVEpQM&t=73[/video]

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I always thought that the sweet jump ruined the front end on 'Greased Lightning' and they needed to fix it up for the following shots, or shot it out of order.

mrstaggerlee

Phil Edwards status
Jan 6, 2009
Am I the only one who mouthed..f v c k i n g jay...oh...bee! With a little head shake mixed in? LOL
I hope he gets an invite to the Olympics, shoots, they could even work his schtick into the opening ceremonies.

You know, li' passing da torch kine.

Fook Stagger what da fook are you talking about man.
C'mon dudes, what do you think about this?
The torch comes from the right side of your screen as the XXXVVVXXVVVXXXIIXV Olympics are about to begin. You can barely make out the sweaty but smiling Ethiopian runner gal from behind all the logos. She comes up to the little pier and hucks the eternal flame to jayohbee who is riding a foil on the manmade wave. It has sparklers on the sides and he is wearing a shiny helmet like the one from the movie Easy Rider.

He catches the torch with his free hand and in his other he is holding a stubby quad mcflavor savior shortboard. He pumps off the soft section near the standing wave part near the pier as the crowd goes wild. He pilots though the barrage of lazer lights over to the barreling part of the wave and ditches the foil and hops onto the mcflipperspud 6 fin knubster-sprocket and gets pitted...so fooking pitted.... For a moment all you can see is the torch light through the breaking wave as they kill the stadium lights and cue up the Star Spangled.

Uh...oh..sayyyyyyy....cannnnn....youuuuu..... "boom!" as a few canons go off and he emerges and pumps over to the other side and throws the torch into the pit that erupts in a glorious eruption and become the most memorable opening ceremony to the Olympic games in the history of man kind!

JAYOHBEE...you heard it here first fellas. Just you watch!

ShiverMeTimbers

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
000 said:
https://www.mentormob.com/kiteboarding/product-for-kiting-equipment-features-and-repairs/making-your-own-kiteboarding-board-and-hydrofoil/building-a-hydrofoil-for-kiteboarding
is that for real or a joke? Would the wood hold up? I guess it would. pun!!!

Dave Kalama and Alex Aguera were recently in the Gorge proving that foils can be SUP'd there. A couple of my buddies are figuring it out this summer. Kalama says that the Gorge might be more desirable than Maui for SUP foiling.
[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Szhqx7bSuE[/video]

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
foiling must be one of those things that's funner than it looks.

because it looks super lame.

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
shiver_me_timbers said:
000 said:
is that for real or a joke? Would the wood hold up? I guess it would. pun!!!

Dave Kalama and Alex Aguera were recently in the Gorge proving that foils can be SUP'd there. A couple of my buddies are figuring it out this summer. Kalama says that the Gorge might be more desirable than Maui for SUP foiling.
[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Szhqx7bSuE[/video]
That's looks horrible. :shrug:

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
I went for my 5th session yesterday, and it was my 4th different board. I'm glad I'm trying different setups before I buy, because there's a huge difference in foil performance. My most recent was on a 7'4" x 30" SUP that I prone paddled. The mast box in the board was waaay too far forward, about 2ft from the tail which made it difficult to find the sweet spot for my feet. The board volume and width made for a more "tippy" experience, definately narrower and less weight the better. I'm guessing something along the lines of a 6' x 20" and a stubby shape will work .