Hurricane Douglas up next for Hawaii ~ this weekend

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Ya, one good thing about Douglas, is that faster than average pace.

Higher wind center area should be in and out in a few hours.

Doogy luckily does not have a large diameter wind-field. Hurricane force winds out 10-25 miles from center, with smaller radius in southern portion that will possibly touch Maui, Oahu and Kauai. Tropical storm force out 40-90 mils from center, so those will most likely be felt island wide.

Stay safe, island guys and gals.

noone999

OTF status
Sep 13, 2012
HI
It's a beautiful morning here on Kauai, so far! Small waves right now. It's a bit windy, but nothing abnormal. Tonight will be a different story. Will bring in everything from the lanai this afternoon. Gonna ride moto today!

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
Rainy and overcast on the n shore of Kauai right now. costco was a dream yesterday: fully stocked

had a surreal solo session at one of the reefs yesterday in tiny windswell. nobody on the beach or in the water

stay safe everyone!

• Haha
Reactions: racer1

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Could just be a wobble in the path, but it looks like Doogy's center just jogged NW away from Maui the last hour or 2.

May just be a wobble in its general WNW path, but maybe a more NW direction change that would put the path a bit further north of Oahu and Kauai later today and tonight, and spare those islands any hurricane force winds?

We'll see in the next few hours. Also noticed a dramatic drop in IR signal last hour or so, as if the higher level clouds intensity is starting to back down too? Could just be a blip weakness of intensity, but also could be the earlier predicted weakening to tropical storm starting a bit sooner?

A few days ago they predicted weakening to tropical storm strength just before approaching the islands, but in last day or 2 they changed to keeping low end hurricane status as it went past or thru Maui, Oahu into Kauai. Maybe the earlier forecast weakening is starting as predicted a few days ago?

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
NOAA is mentioning (every update) the strong vertical shear in the southern half of the storm which weakens intensity significantly on that lower half of the path adjacent the islands.

We'll see in the next few hours how Oahu, then later tonight/early tomorrow Kauai fares?

Reactions: thekadvang

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Pops is on Maui and wasn’t worried. Looks like it passed just north.

Really hoping Kauai doesn’t get blasted this evening. Looks to be a direct hit though.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
2135 hrs. Nada so far. Quick rain squalls throughout the afternoon. Not much wind at all. More rain yet again. Nothing heavy so far. The good news is the Hanalei River is only 2.25 feet at the moment as fears were running that another 100 years flood could be on it's way with Douglas being the main culprit.
The "Windy app" is saying that it should get to us by midnight. Wait and see now. I'm still glad that I took the precaution to plywood sheet my house. If nothing else it was good practice ~

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
2200 hrs
The white dot and "13mph flag" is my approximate location. The "eye" seems to be approaching and making landfall now just East of us. No Rain, light winds continue so far.

Screenshot 2020-07-26 at 22.02.34.png

Reactions: racer1