Huntington Beach - Massive Protest - Surfers Revolt!!!

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Personally, I think we should completely “open” the economy. When people get sick and die, so be it. I’m almost as liberal and progressive as a person could be. It is obvious to me that this current situation is not sustainable. We’ll have to accept a lot of deaths.
Is this sarcasm or are you serious?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I think you're just looking for negative remarks on the Stanford study that you don't really understand. In your own words, what was that author saying?

At the same website, another guy estimated different infection rates, but only about half what the authors of the Stanford study quoted. Even at that the number of infected is much higher than the positive tests in Santa Clara county:
Then they looked at the revised study:

Uh oh, another antibody study from Denmark showing an IFR for those younger than 70 of .082%:

You're just looking for ways of finding bad news which are not based on science.
When you posted it, I just looked at the model straight up and I stated it in my own words already. I will be the first to state that I am not a statistician although I have run similar models for environmental purposes. Now, the Stanford model is a small sample size, cherry-picked data geared towards the white/asian, female affluent, namely those who decided to show up for the Facebook ad. They even admitted that within the study within the discussion section. And like I stated, it got thrashed by others who are more versed in statistics.

And what is that saying: There are lies, damn lies, and statistics.

You have hard numbers from South Korea and like hammies stated, they were prepared for this coming down and they still had a case death rate of 2.3%. Why you want to ignore actual hard data in lieu of statistical modeling is beyond me. The numbers for the US in the CEBM link are double that.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
And rightwing billionaires who care nothing about those protesting.
I think it's safe to say the billionaires caring nothing of the protests transcend the political spectrum. And equally safe to say that they are the ones who actually run this country.

All the billionaires are doing is raking in the cash while laughing at the protesters spreading the virus among themselves and gradually killing each other off. So why protest in the streets, accomplishing nothing except f*cking over everyone else further when they could take the protest to them?

Reactions: Aruka and mundus

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
At Cal State, they don't know if they are going to open the school in the fall.

They need to give students the option of remote learning if they are scared. Same with at risk staff and teachers.

Or they can sign release and come to class and take their chances.

I'm an old fat male.

The Covid's favorite dish.

I'll totally take my chances.

Come get me, Covid!

Whhhhhhaaah!

Class is in session, kunts!

During this time I learned that for a writing teacher, being in class is the fun part.

This remote stuff was clerical work and grading papers.

THe worst part of the job. :poop:

Reactions: Jonahbrah and Aruka

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
When you posted it, I just looked at the model straight up and I stated it in my own words already. I will be the first to state that I am not a statistician although I have run similar models for environmental purposes. Now, the Stanford model is a small sample size, cherry-picked data geared towards the white/asian, female affluent, namely those who decided to show up for the Facebook ad. They even admitted that within the study within the discussion section. And like I stated, it got thrashed by others who are more versed in statistics.
Not really. The study had some limitations, but all do. Why don't you tell us how you'd design a better one given the state-of-the-art in COVID antibody tests? How will you recruit participants? Where will you get a better test? How long will it take? How much will it cost? What sample size do you need? How soon will you have results? What priors will you use?

You have hard numbers from South Korea and like hammies stated, they were prepared for this coming down and they still had a case death rate of 2.3%. Why you want to ignore actual hard data in lieu of statistical modeling is beyond me. The numbers for the US in the CEBM link are double that.
I was not disputing the Korean CFR. The Korean CFR is not the global IFR. You still don't seem to know the difference between the two statistics. The IFR is quite low - about the same as the seasonal flu. At least 6 data sets confirm this.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Not really. The study had some limitations, but all do. Why don't you tell us how you'd design a better one given the state-of-the-art in COVID antibody tests? How will you recruit participants? Where will you get a better test? How long will it take? How much will it cost? What sample size do you need? How soon will you have results? What priors will you use?

I was not disputing the Korean CFR. The Korean CFR is not the global IFR. You still don't seem to know the difference between the two statistics. The IFR is quite low - about the same as the seasonal flu. At least 6 data sets confirm this.
You'll probably think my testing regime is authoritarian but you'll have to basically swoop down and test public in all sectors, rural, urban, white, black, hispanic, asian, etc., all ages. No recruitment but just grabbing people off the street and in the hospitals. And test hundreds of thousands. You are going to have biased data if you try to recruit people in because of varied motivations of those answering ads. Yeah, that costs money and probably a lot of it but if you want viable results, that's what you will have to do. And yes, you better have viable testing that passes legit QA/QC practices. If you don't have rapid turnaround (i.e. less than 30 minuts), you are going to be playing catchup on the data and always be behind. Plus, you'd probably want to quarantine those that test positive so they don't unknowingly spread it further.

Think of it like indoor air testing. You can leave Summa canisters in place for 8 and 24 hour periods to take a quick snapshot of indoor air conditions for opposite seasons and it will give you an idea or, albeit at greater expense, you can perform continuous air monitoring which will identify intrusion sources, peak times of increased air impacts, and then pinpoint the facts and properly mitigate.

The CFR is hard data. You have people who have contracted Covid and you know how many people died and how many people recovered. Until you have much more prevalent antibody testing so you can determine who has contracted Covid yet was asymptomatic, you're not going to have great IFR data.

Bob

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2001
Oxnard
Where is my vaccine? I'm 68. I stay at home or take my dog to the beach or other walks and occasionally go surfing. That's it. My wife goes grocery shopping.
I would normally get a flu shot and never think about the flu. Numbers of deaths wouldn't be headlining the newspapers. This is different. For me.
if you are 24 and your youth is fading away in a virus haze, I'd be in the streets too.
Oh, and now nobody is in charge. WTF!

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
You'll probably think my testing regime is authoritarian but you'll have to basically swoop down and test public in all sectors, rural, urban, white, black, hispanic, asian, etc., all ages. No recruitment but just grabbing people off the street and in the hospitals. And test hundreds of thousands. You are going to have biased data if you try to recruit people in because of varied motivations of those answering ads. Yeah, that costs money and probably a lot of it but if you want viable results, that's what you will have to do. And yes, you better have viable testing that passes legit QA/QC practices. If you don't have rapid turnaround (i.e. less than 12 hours), you are going to be playing catchup on the data and always be behind.

Think of it like indoor air testing. You can leave Summa canisters in place for 8 and 24 hour periods to take a quick snapshot of indoor air conditions for opposite seasons and it will give you an idea or, albeit at greater expense, you can perform continuous air monitoring which will identify intrusion sources, peak times of increased air impacts, and then pinpoint the facts and properly mitigate.
Bingo. And in the absence of such authority, money, manpower, test quality, and time, the authors did the best they could. Would it have been better if they had done nothing?

The CFR is hard data. You have people who have contracted Covid and you know how many people died and how many people recovered. Until you have much more prevalent antibody testing so you can determine who has contracted Covid yet was asymptomatic, you're not going to have great IFR data.
The CDC maintains viral surveillance for cold, flu, and this. They do not test everyone. They sample. Dr. Katz explained this. In what ways do you think the current CDC viral surveillance is inadequate?

BTW, the CFR itself is subject to dispute. How many of the patients died WITH COVID versus OF COVID. That is very much in doubt right now.

Reactions: stringcheese

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Bingo. And in the absence of such authority, money, manpower, test quality, and time, the authors did the best they could. Would it have been better if they had done nothing?

The CDC maintains viral surveillance for cold, flu, and this. They do not test everyone. They sample. Dr. Katz explained this. In what ways do you think the current CDC viral surveillance is inadequate?

BTW, the CFR itself is subject to dispute. How many of the patients died WITH COVID versus OF COVID. That is very much in doubt right now.
Bad data can be just as bad as no data, especially when it comes to decision making. Different industries (environmental consulting) but I can't tell you how many times I have seen people acquire properties based on really shoddy investigations (bad data) or just buying it for cash to avoid dealing with lenders (no data) and then end up surprised when they have to shell out millions to clean up a property that they are now responsible for. I don't have much respect for either method of data collection as they both lead to sh*t results. "Doing your best" is a copout. Do it right or don't do it at all.

I'll have to look into the CDC viral surveillance issue but off the bat, you'll need to have actual lab testing. People with a cold/flu aren't always going to the doctor, especially if they are poor. They will just ride it out so you will have an upper income-skewed demographic. How many people who catch a cold or the flu are asymptomatic? Either way you are not getting comprehensive testing either. Plus, with flu, many people vaccinate. We are not seeing that here with Covid. A ton of unknowns.

Dying with Covid vs. of it? Is that like dying of AIDS vs. dying of complications from AIDS?

Last edited:
Reactions: stringcheese

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Bad data can be just as bad as no data, especially when it comes to decision making. Different industries (environmental consulting) but I can't tell you how many times I have seen people acquire properties based on really shoddy investigations (bad data) or just buying it for cash to avoid dealing with lenders (no data) and then end up surprised when they have to shell out millions to clean up a property that they are now responsible for. I don't have much respect for either method of data collection as they both lead to sh*t results. "Doing your best" is a copout. Do it right or don't do it at all.
Do you know more about epidemiology than the study authors? You sound like you do. I certainly do not, but their data seems to agree with a lot of the other studies.

I'll have to look into the CDC viral surveillance issue but off the bat, you'll need to have actual lab testing. People with a cold/flu aren't always going to the doctor, especially if they are poor. They will just ride it out so you will have an upper income-skewed demographic. How many people who catch a cold or the flu are asymptomatic? Either way you are not getting comprehensive testing either. Plus, with flu, many people vaccinate. We are not seeing that here with Covid. A ton of unknowns.
Sounds like you have a better idea how it should be run.

Dying with Covid vs. of it? Is that like dying of AIDS vs. dying of complications from AIDS?
No. But I'll leave to you to the research.

• Dislike
Reactions: FecalFace

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
The antibody tests have been implimented with great limitations. The information gathered from those tests should be treated with appropriate caution. However, Kento specifically is showing us something i think we're about to see a lot more of.

The standards for data that scare us are lower than the standards for data that support being less scared.

Antibody tests will be scrutinized until ever little detail is in line, or they will be disregarded.
Reported numbers of covid-19 deaths and the resulting expectation of future deaths will be taken at face value based on trustworthiness of source.

If a Stanford study says antibodies show more americans have had the virus, people want to pick it apart. If the same group releases an identical study coming to the opposite conclusion, that no one had antibodies, it would be taken as true and CNN would make it a colorful graphic.

• Dislike
Reactions: FecalFace and PRCD

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah my mother in law had covid and pneumonia. Pneumonia is often lethal to bedridden dementia ridden 84 year olds who haven’t left bed in years. so many of these deaths were exactly like that. Which thing do you put on the form?

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
Yeah my mother in law had covid and pneumonia. Pneumonia is often lethal to bedridden dementia ridden 84 year olds who haven’t left bed in years. so many of these deaths were exactly like that. Which thing do you put on the form?
If they haven't left bed in years it's likely that their death was not imminent, until they contracted COVID.

So that's what you put on the "form", which btw is called death certificate and is issued by a doctor.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Do you know more about epidemiology than the study authors? You sound like you do. I certainly do not, but their data seems to agree with a lot of the other studies.

Sounds like you have a better idea how it should be run.

No. But I'll leave to you to the research.
I don't but I also note that none of you have really rebutted a single thing I have said. You just appeal to authority that you even admit has massive limitations.

I do have a better idea of how it should be run. But should be and can be are two different things, aren't they? Also, note that I even said several weeks ago that our country has been sh*tting the bed hard on testing and quarantining.

And by the way regarding numbers of today:

Total cases: 1,156,217
Deaths: 67,224
Recovered: 170,201

Death rate: 28%.

I admit right now I was wrong about 80,000 by the 10th. 2,200 more deaths today and it is only midday. It will be at 80,000 by the 8th. But the death rate is continuing to decrease as it is progressing. 37% 11 days ago, 29% yesterday, 28% today. I like that CEBM site you posted. Death rate is decreasing and it just doing it in my head, yeah, we're going to asymptote pretty close to 5-6%, maybe slightly higher. We will see how it plays out.

I also think there are a lot of assholes out in Huntington that will now be bringing the Covid back to Hesperia, Corona, Riverside, etc. In this case, the sins of the children will be falling onto the parents.

Last edited:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
The antibody tests have been implimented with great limitations. The information gathered from those tests should be treated with appropriate caution. However, Kento specifically is showing us something i think we're about to see a lot more of.

The standards for data that scare us are lower than the standards for data that support being less scared.

Antibody tests will be scrutinized until ever little detail is in line, or they will be disregarded.
Reported numbers of covid-19 deaths and the resulting expectation of future deaths will be taken at face value based on trustworthiness of source.

If a Stanford study says antibodies show more americans have had the virus, people want to pick it apart. If the same group releases an identical study coming to the opposite conclusion, that no one had antibodies, it would be taken as true and CNN would make it a colorful graphic.
You admitted you were literally just making up numbers.

The Stanford study was sh*thouse and they even admitted it in so many words.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
As has been mentioned before here, I co-own a restaurant. One that currently has customers pilling up at the gate waiting to come back, purchasing gift cards for the future, and trying to make reservations that I cannot guarantee. Plenty of people want to come back to life, not just reckless young people. It's cute that you think most businesses are open, and that the ones who aren't just need to "get a grip".

So, if you're asking me personally, I'm complaining that the government has deemed my business unnecessary and shut down my industry indefinitely and with insufficient reasoning to do so, and followed that up by doubling down on "do what we say because we said so" with no relation to or mere mention of tangible goals.

The police are at odds with the governor, who is at odds with the mayors, all are at odds with the president.

Still we get people like you. Every thread. "Stop talking about things I don't want you to talk about in the talking about things place" if you don't want to hear the complaints, DON'T OPEN THE THREAD.
I don’t know the specifics of the restaurant you co-own. But did the government say you couldn’t operate as a takeout or delivery operation?

So many restaurants in my area have shown great ingenuity and have adapted to the circumstances of the crisis in all kinds of ways while continuing to do business and pay their staffs. And we the local customers have been doing our best to support them by ordering takeout a few nights a week. I understand that every restaurant is unique and has different hurdles. Some just simply don’t work as takeout/delivery operations. I know a few of these that have moved on to selling unprepared food and pantry items. Have you explored these options?

Last edited:

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
If a Stanford study says antibodies show more americans have had the virus, people want to pick it apart and crowds of people would don their MAGA hats and protest, demanding we open back up wide since we are all now have "herd immunity". If the same group releases an identical study coming to the opposite conclusion, that no one had antibodies, it would be taken as true by the "maintain the lockdown ad infinitum lest we become the next Italy" crowd and CNN would make it a colorful graphic.
Fixed it for you. Everything Covid is now 100% politicized.

Reactions: Jonahbrah