HPSB thread

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I like the look of this one. Maybe too much of a step up for what you're after though. You should pick one up and let us (me) know how it goes anyways:beer:

https://shop.cisurfboards.com/collections/step-up

But seriously for Indo I think a Ghost would be hard to beat if you can find one in your size. Ghost is just such a confidence inspiring board for powerful surf but if you size it right it will still work when the waves are just fun sized as well. @trifish's impressions of the Ghost/Shadow above are bang on with my experience.

My only reason for favoring other boards over the Ghost this past year or so is that I've put on some weight so it feels a bit thin and also around here when the waves are solid there is usually a lot of paddling involved so I tend to favor a longer board.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Ha -- too long! 12-14 weeks, but not getting ultralight. Ordered 6+4+4 for durability. And 5 fin boxes for versatility. Gonna run the Pyzel Paddilac quads when it gets big and walled up.

You just have to plan ahead, way ahead...
12-14 weeks must be all in glass shop but 1/4 of day in board cutter machine:bricks:I heard Haakenson was backed up and some but thats ridicules.

Sep 30, 2008
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
Yeah, it has basically been, a month wait in each stage: Mill, Shape. CI says most of that time is waiting for the line in front of you to clear the queue. Just got into "Glass" last week; we'll see how long it takes to glass.

Reactions: santacruzin

HSY

OTF status
Aug 15, 2011
There is no time for planning in the year of the yolo!
eberything is pointing to ghost do not have time for a custom or I would have someone make me one.
Haven't ridden one but since it was in your original list, that Roberts GSD sounds really good too. His description of the intent of the board design sounds just like what you're looking for. Maybe GWS/i-shapes or someone else familiar with Roberts will chime in.

Reactions: Aardwolf and Aruka

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Haven't ridden one but since it was in your original list, that Roberts GSD sounds really good too. His description of the intent of the board design sounds just like what you're looking for. Maybe GWS/i-shapes or someone else familiar with Roberts will chime in.
Yea was curious about that one too! Saw some roberts shapes being ripped lately. Havent seen anything on here about it.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Yea was curious about that one too! Saw some roberts shapes being ripped lately. Havent seen anything on here about it.
I remember back when the dream catcher had many favorable reviews. My local when good I see Booby Morris surfing roberts not sure exact model never really talk to him. Never short and stubby but always around height fairly skinny maybe 1/4" to 3/8" thick. Many years ago first to see white diamond so I think his boards are step ups better black diamond with out pin tail.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aardwolf

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Settled on two boards because that's the erbb way. picking up a ghost for travel (Indo) and getting something shaped locally for CA waves.
May pick up a CI twohappy as well because I like them :roflmao:

I need to stop hanging out in the design forum, all these dark arts/album yolo posts have warped my melon.1 new board is good but 3 is better right? haha

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Settled on two boards because that's the erbb way. picking up a ghost for travel (Indo) and getting something shaped locally for CA waves.

I need to stop hanging out in the design forum, all these dark arts/album yolo posts have warped my melon.1 new board is good but 3 is better right? haha
The ghost is a great travel board, you will be stoked on it.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
My go-to's:

Excellent waves & travel: 6'1 Pyzel radius
Good waves & step up: 6'1 Pyzel Ghost
Good waves - excellent waves: 6'0 Lost Driver

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco

This is the way.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
My go-to's:

Excellent waves & travel: 6'1 Pyzel radius
Good waves & step up: 6'1 Pyzel Ghost
Good waves - excellent waves: 6'0 Lost Driver
might be a stupid question, but what's the factor that makes you grab radius over ghost in good waves? Looked like some of the Pyzel pros were riding Radius in smaller-than-expected waves in Oz leg

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
might be a stupid question, but what's the factor that makes you grab radius over ghost in good waves? Looked like some of the Pyzel pros were riding Radius in smaller-than-expected waves in Oz leg
No, this is actually a good question.

I'll grab the radius for really good waves, that are nice and round, have good push, or a nice ledgy takeoff, and don't require a ton of paddling. It makes a great travel board (think Mentawais, Mex beach breaks, Hossegor, etc.).

I'll grab the ghost for good waves that are more variable, have a lot of push or require a lot of distance to be covered, have a significant range in size down the line, are hard to catch and paddling is paramount.

Feb 9, 2019
I havent had a Roberts GSD, but i use my el tormentor in point wave setups. Has reach and feels smooth with a touch of boost. Goes well in barrels.
The meat cleaver goes well in hollow beachies and something with the rail just feels right in hooking off the top, especially backhand. The starchip for turns on overhead days. If i was in double overhead, Id like a biodiesel or turbo diesel. But lack of funds says no.
If I could get over to the states this year Im chasing a Maurice Cole rev vee. Ive really liked a black beauty and another brand rev vee on textured waves and they seem to naturally seek the exits in tubes...which helps because Im m pretty s...thouse making them normally.

shaheeb

OTF status
Feb 24, 2013
Supposedly the board is very user friendly
not sure where this ends up but have had a couple if15's. one slightly small almost just right was really loose. tamed down with control Pyzels.
and another slightly wider, and thicker for bigger days, more paddle float etc...

both really easy to ride...Pattersons are great, I have 3 new ones almost finished. longest i've ever waited btw

can also comment on CI fever. nice, has classic CI smooth dampened feel to it.

Last edited: