HPSB thread

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
My son has had about 20 Sharpeyes and believe it or not the only one he's ever had that he didn't like is the Game Changer. The SB1 and HT2 are his favorites.
I've had a few Sharpeyes and it was my favorite of the bunch. Mine was a little bit longer and more narrow than the stock dims, and had a round tail. I tend to like low rockered boards and it fit the bill for good surf in Central Florida. Wish I still had it.

Reactions: GromsDad

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
RE: Santa Cruz - No waves? Solid to large NW groundswell all fall and winter. Also several south swell magnets. A right point break around every corner with beach breaks mixed in. Onshore everywhere else and multiple spots are offshore in Santa Cruz. Okay, crowds, whatever, all of CA is crowded. Place is a surf paradise.

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
No.

Just designed around a different kind of surfing.

I actually like that type of rocker too.
I've got one and don't surf anything like Italo but its a keeper. Super loose with zero resistance means you can literally force a turn anywhere on the wave you want. When the waves are more walled up and rippable I would go for something stiffer and more drivey but for head high windswell it works well.

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
I surf around the “fringes” of SC town at times. Have no idea how anyone can put up w those crowds/have any fun-surfing, driving or anything. Place must have been a blast decades ago before it got blown up.

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
The shadow
need more deet trifish!
The Shadow is very balanced & predictable. No weird surprises, just consistent. No big flares/no big drawbacks. You know what to expect and that's what I love about the board and what I like for my hpsb's. Paddles good for a hpsb, I can get it into the lip quick when needed, and holds well on rail. Has a much better lower end than you would expect and sits down well on the faces also on subpar days that aren't clean. Swing weight off the nose feels good and balanced. Could be used as a DD around your area. Mines pretty lively which I contribute some to the xtr construction. The days I've had it out a couple of feet overhead it gets more unsettled and twitchy for me and wouldn't be my board choice.

The ghost on the other hand shines when its overhead. Locks into rail more which is amazing on critical drops of consequence. It feels a little harder to break its direction at times, small fins helped a lot for this though. Not a board your throw around as easy as the shadow. It paddles great and into waves exceptionally well. If you need a little confidence on some hairy sets the ghost gives you that 10 fold. Its a stepup in my mind and mine is sized up 3 inches over my shadow for that (Shadow 6', Ghost 6'3"). The Ghost was an OTR PU 6'3"x19.75. The Shadow a XTR custom with more width like the XL Shadow versions 6'x19.75 to get me to the 32L I wanted

The 2 boards compliment each other very well. Easy to adjust from one another when hoping back and forth. Pyzel did a great job on that family of boards. My buddy borrowed the Shadow the other day and put in an order for one right after. Both are great boards. Indo I would think Ghost, SC I would think Shadow.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I surf around the “fringes” of SC town at times. Have no idea how anyone can put up w those crowds/have any fun-surfing, driving or anything. Place must have been a blast decades ago before it got blown up.
Early early 90z I lived on West side and could score out of town still solo or few surfers, West peak lane on big days uncrowded lefts to rocks, and even mid morning mid week pleasure point oh fun:shaka:

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
I surfed a bit north of town on saturday. Felt like there were two separate groups of 5+ learners sitting on the inside and on the shoulders. Since when did it become a thing to show up with more than 1 person??

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I surfed a bit north of town on saturday. Felt like there were two separate groups of 5+ learners sitting on the inside and on the shoulders. Since when did it become a thing to show up with more than 1 person??
Most likely same spot a few miles out of town (# of miles is names) #2 I once was dropping in and guy on inside (uncrowded day) in the way and does not paddle for shoulder :drowning: so instead of running over him like I should've I tried to avoid him and ended up hyper extending my knee. I had to walk a 1/4 mile up hill solo to get to my car and drive my self to ER:foreheadslap:

Sep 30, 2008
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
Been riding a CI Fever as my go-to HPSB the last 3 years. This year I'm going back to an old favorite, the CI PROTON. I have a custom CI Proton on order with updated dims. Can't wait! It's in "Glasser" status now.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Been riding a CI Fever as my go-to HPSB the last 3 years. This year I'm going back to an old favorite, the CI PROTON. I have a custom CI Proton on order with updated dims. Can't wait! It's in "Glasser" status now.
Whatz the turn around for cad shaped ultra light glass custom?

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
Santa Cruz is hands down the most consistently good place in the continental US and compares to places like NSW north coast in Oz.

wind protected. Check
Point breaks. Check
Beach breaks. Check
South swell magnet. Check
Winter swell magnet. Check
Big waves. Check
Variety of surf. Check
Consistency. Check

when I lived in SC I had at least 3-4x the amount of days I’d consider good waves. Way more days where you would us a HPSB. Nowhere in SoCal even comes close to the quality and consistency of SC. SB/Ventura has the quality but not the consistency.

I will say the cold water, sharks, and crowds absolutely suck. With the work remotely becoming the norm I could easily live in SC again.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Santa Cruz is hands down the most consistently good place in the continental US and compares to places like NSW north coast in Oz.

wind protected. Check
Point breaks. Check
Beach breaks. Check
South swell magnet. Check
Winter swell magnet. Check
Big waves. Check
Variety of surf. Check
Consistency. Check

when I lived in SC I had at least 3-4x the amount of days I’d consider good waves. Way more days where you would us a HPSB. Nowhere in SoCal even comes close to the quality and consistency of SC. SB/Ventura has the quality but not the consistency.

I will say the cold water, sharks, and crowds absolutely suck. With the work remotely becoming the norm I could easily live in SC again.
+1 and followed Dave Parmenter's secret sauce to perfect travel board. I had my local "Goleta" shaper make me a 6'9" pintail single with boxy foiled rails tucked under go sharp out tail. Board was magic out at the reefs and any where else no need for quiver maybe had 3 boards at time.

Reactions: JDJ

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
i would either pick up a CI, Lost, JS off the rack or, if you have the time, ask Greg to make you a round tail thruster.