How to do a cutback. Tips???

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
I think there are two crucial pieces. Putting your weight into the heel of your backfoot, along with twisting/whipping your upper body a ton. Both more than you think you need.

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
First things first you gots to learn how turn using rail not tail.
Rail surfing is supreme. But even full-rail cutties are initiated by putting your weight into your back foot. Where you go from there is up to you.

Pete Mendia's cuttie up above is a ripe example. His rails couldn't get any deeper in that money shot. But just a few frames before, you can see he's way over his back foot... front leg straight.

Screen Shot 2022-08-12 at 8.54.18 PM.png

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Over the course of about 5 hours I watched 4 different very average right pointbreaks today.

I typically don't spend much time watching other people surf but today I had to.

What really stood out to me (and I didn't go into it watching for it) was how many people cannot do a proper cutback.

There were even guys who surfed decent on their forehand that just blew it when it came to doing a basic cutback.

:shrug:

I think a good number of these surfers could be taught to do a half decent cutback with a few pointers after they watch their "cutback" on video. They think they're actually doing a cutback but they're only halfway there - once seeing self on video and pointing out the common error they'd have no problem.

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
important to turn down the wave as much as into it, also your board will follow wherever your head faces.

Reactions: slipped_disc

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
The timing of your cutback and what happens after is also important. If you crank it around but then can't recover enough to propel yourself on down the line into the next section then all you did was crank it around. Consider the first two cutbacks in the Fanning video. The first one he does right at a section and doesn't make it down the line and the cutback ends up going no place, the second one he brings it back around to the energy center of the wave and it propels him down the line for more fun.