How To Build Bulletproof Shoulders

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Consistency is everything.
Genetics don’t mean sh!t. Mine suck. 5’10 with thin wrists. Naturally weak. I did get broad shoulders. I would assume genetics would be a good predictor of success in the NFL combine?
Unfortunately there’s “no consistent statistical relationship between combine tests and professional football performance, with the notable exception of sprint tests for running backs.“

Size is irrelevant and strength is relative.
I agree that good training is an important variable.

What I am saying is your genetics will also determine who you respond to good training.

Some people look like sh!t when they don't train and thrive when they do.

Others with the same stimulus won't respond as well.

I'm saying that is genetics.

But of course you have to train train train.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I agree that good training is an important variable.

What I am saying is your genetics will also determine who you respond to good training.

Some people look like sh!t when they don't train and thrive when they do.

Others with the same stimulus won't respond as well.

I'm saying that is genetics.

But of course you have to train train train.
There are stimulus that everyone will respond to, despite their genetics.

“Tapping into the right movement can radically change your body.
Find that missing ingredient and you'll build more muscle faster, drop fat quicker, and kick any ass on any field of play. And I'm going to tell you what that missing ingredient is for most weight-trained men. Ready? It's the loaded carry. The loaded carry does more to expand athletic qualities than any wother single thing I've attempted in my career as a coach and athlete. And I do not say that lightly.“ Dan John

When I read that, I said good enough for me and started carrying a pair of kettlebells for time(20min). Constraints=perfect posture, minimal rests. After working up to/with 2x20kg I looked like Yason Statham according to my cholo neighbors. It also could’ve been after completing a program of kettlebell armor building complexes?

“I work with a lot of people in the collision sports and collision occupations. One of the hardest things to do while preparing for these endeavors is what I call "Armor Building," a term that one of my football players coined a few years ago.

At first I didn't understand what he meant. Basically, he felt that some of the exercises we were doing, in his case the thick barbell curl and the double kettlebell front squat, were helping him be a better running back. It gave him a feeling "like armor."

A few years ago, I worked with a high school running back, Tony N., who had a coach that didn't believe in weightlifting. (Yes, I said that. The coach probably also didn't like these "new fangled automobiles," either.)

After a few sessions of working with him, he found that doing what he called "The Exercise" – a combination of power snatches and overhead squats – gave him some tools no one else on the field had. In his last five football games his senior year, Tony ran for over 200 yards each game.”
Dan John

Once again Dan John = good enough for me. Did some research and found him and Pat Flynn‘s 3-1-2 KB complexes. I’d do cleans-press-front squats w/perfect form for 20 min. After working up to/with 2x20kg at 45yo I was pretty tough.

Tbh I don’t remember the results of working up to shouldering a 75lb sandbag for time other than I’m pretty sure I looked like someone who was lifting a 75lb sandbag off the ground up to alternating shoulders for 20mins most days.

Right now for science, I’m gonna see what happens if I don’t do anything else other than bear hug carry a sandbag for time/20 min. I’m starting with 50lbs and concentrating on using/learning “grappling” grips like Gable, monkey, butterfly, etc. Done it twice now. Brutal. Looking forward to adding weight.

Reactions: scdad and PRCD

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
Build shoulders fine, but more important AVOID activities that are harmful to the shoulder especially reaching behind and above the head, that is a surefire way to stretch the rotator cuff.

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
with body weight on chest dig deep fast and hard.
some use their chin on boars' nose to pierce offshores.

:ban:

Reactions: SurfDoc