How thin a fish?

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
What would you guys say is the thinnest you'd want to go on a traditional keel fin fish for someone around 5'10 and 165 pounds? The fish I've seen tend to be pretty beefy and I was wondering if you could go a little longer maybe but thinner to get a more carvy but less floaty fish. Any shapers know for this style of fish?

hmmm

Kelly Slater status
Jan 13, 2002
What would you guys say is the thinnest you'd want to go on a traditional keel fin fish for someone around 5'10 and 165 pounds? The fish I've seen tend to be pretty beefy and I was wondering if you could go a little longer maybe but thinner to get a more carvy but less floaty fish. Any shapers know for this style of fish?
its not just thickness but width and length...from your description i think your looking for more of a modern fish, which IMO rides great...for your size a 5'11 2 1/4" 20" would work, might be able to go even smaller.

highline rider

Miki Dora status
Jan 31, 2003
Orange County
talk to any well known fish shaper, and they can for sure shape you a more foiled fish. i really like mine thin, feels better, especially when the rails are thinner. my thinnest is 2" thick due to concave deck and bottom. it works pretty good.