How Not to Park Your Boat

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Okay I missed the part where they were overtaking you. Apologies.

Still, it's way easier to touch the throttle and let them go by than insist for them to tack or do a ton of manouvering because you don't have to give way.

I generally don't press the right of way even when I have it, unless it's more dangerous to manouver than stay the course.

Common sense and courtesy should always prevail.

Cheers.
You’re 100 percent correct.

I always go with the saying that graveyards are filled with people who had right of way.

In my situation of the boat I had zero idea they were coming up behind me as fast as they were cause we were exiting a marina.

I’m almost all cases I keep my distance from other boats and if I’m gonna overtake or come to a crossing situation I try to hail on vhf to identify intentions.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Would you force a sailboat to tack so you don't have to move the throttle half inch?

Curious.
the only time you’d really be in an overtaking situation like that is entering or leaving a harbor, or in one, or in a narrow. Most of those times the powerboat would have to break the no wake law if they did what you said above.

Reactions: plasticbertrand

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
the only time you’d really be in an overtaking situation like that is entering or leaving a harbor, or in one, or in a narrow. Most of those times the powerboat would have to break the no wake law if they did what you said above.
Agree, though it's hard to believe that a sailboat would be doing more than 5 knots under sail power in a marina or a narrow channel but I've seen weirder things. :poop:

• Haha
Reactions: hammies and afoaf

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Yep!

Which is why I always look both ways when using the crosswalk properly. Me having the right of way won't stop me from getting run over by a loser not paying attention.
My pops drives his car super aggressively. Always tells me "so and so is wrong".

Im like yea- but if your car gets hit it will still ruin your day or worst cause you serious bodily harm.

Reactions: Mr Doof

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
if I remember correctly, there are also rules for sailboats as it relates to the wind in that the overtaking boat cannot block the wind of the stand-on vessel and must overtake on the side that will not disturb their current tack
Wrong.

I assume you're talking about two sailboats, otherwise the stand on power vessel could really care less where the wind is coming from. In the case of two sailboats, if you pass to windward (upwind, above) you have to stay clear, but if you're faster eventually you're gong to steal the stand on sailboat's air. Perfectly legal. Instead, if you try to pass to leeward (downwind from the stand on sailboat) as soon as you establish an overlap you become the stand on vessel. If the vessel above you cannot point as high as you, you can force it to tack.

Watch this video to see about course and overlap. Windward boat, Luna Rossa tries to come down to cut off America One. Paul Cayard is maintaining they have the over ap and start coming up and accuse Luna Rossa of veering off proper course. Exciting stuff..if you're a yachtie....

Reactions: npsp and hammies

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
I'm fascinated with the ocean boating world and always dreamed of having a nice boat in warm water climate. I have so many questions about this video and hoping you guys can learn me.

1. How is there not a law all children must wear lifejackets in a boat? Incredible.

2. (2:00) Why is the boat listing so hard? Don't have they have a bilge pump to get the water out? Weight distribution problem?

3. (7:37) How much does it cost in maintenance and slip for a bad ass boat like that? Do you leave them in the water year round or do you pull them out for land storage with cover? Are they mainly built to fish off or just speed around on the water between your private islands?

4. (11:46) How much it cost to get towed from one of those tow boats? Do they make good money towing idiots all day?

5. For larger boats, do you hire someone to maintain and captain the vessel?

6. (14:22) What kind of a boat is that?

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I'm fascinated with the ocean boating world and always dreamed of having a nice boat in warm water climate. I have so many questions about this video and hoping you guys can learn me.

1. How is there not a law all children must wear lifejackets in a boat? Incredible.

2. (2:00) Why is the boat listing so hard? Don't have they have a bilge pump to get the water out? Weight distribution problem?

3. (7:37) How much does it cost in maintenance and slip for a bad ass boat like that? Do you leave them in the water year round or do you pull them out for land storage with cover? Are they mainly built to fish off or just speed around on the water between your private islands?

4. (11:46) How much it cost to get towed from one of those tow boats? Do they make good money towing idiots all day?

5. For larger boats, do you hire someone to maintain and captain the vessel?

6. (14:22) What kind of a boat is that?
1- it is law. Many people break it and it’s not often enforced.

2- bilge cannot pump that fast.

3- fish and go fast. Very expensive to run

4- TOWUS is a monthly membership.

5- for very large boats it’s mandatory to have a captain license

Reactions: r32

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
2. also took on several gallons of water on the bow as 8 of 9 ppl sitting starboard.
6.Tecnorib by Pirelli

LipService

OTF status
Feb 10, 2017
What is the point of diminishing returns with the number of outboards on some of these boats?

I see a boat near me with four 350 HP outboards. Three wasn't going to be fast enough? Maybe five would be faster? That's got to be a lot of gas.

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
What is the point of diminishing returns with the number of outboards on some of these boats?

I see a boat near me with four 350 HP outboards. Three wasn't going to be fast enough? Maybe five would be faster? That's got to be a lot of gas.
My heavy 21 foot hydrasports with a 200HP old school Johnson Ocean runner gets about a mile and a half per gallon. I can't imagine the fuel consumption on those boats that have 3-5 outboards stuck off the back. IMHO, they are the stupidest looking boats on the water.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
I'm getting the sense the multiple outboard motor thing is kind of a like a big lifted truck. Boat owner is over compensating for lack of size and power in other areas of his life. :monkey: