How Not to Park Your Boat

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Remember reading about a new law in CA about needing to wear a wrist leash w your key if your boat is a Certain size.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria

Boaters operating boats less than 26 feet LOA must use an ECOS link if one is installed.

Boats built before 2020 may not have been required to have an ECOS installed but most have ECOS aboard anyway.

Boats less than 26 feet in length that generate more than 115lbs of static thrust (~ 2-3hp) and were built beginning in January 2020 must have a ECOS installed.

If the boat was built in January 2020 or later, the Engine Cut-Off Switch systems must be maintained in working condition for the life of the boat. Just like navigation lights or exhaust blowers.

Boaters are not required to use ECOS if:
  • - The boat is operated from an enclosed helm.
  • - The boat is off plane and not exceeding hull speed
  • - During docking maneuvers or while at idle
  • - The vessel does not have an engine cut-off switch and is not required to have one.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I thought they were all supposed to have them. I would power down if I needed to take a ****. It's one thing to mess with trolling rods at trolling speed but there's really no reason to be away from the controls while at power.
Should not even do that especially with open transom, had a very close call myself trolling solo.