How much sh!t do you put up with to avoid being the asshole of the neighborhood?

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
The neighbor across from me is renting a house from the owner in some weird situation. Her nephew is an idiot drug addict icer who got away with being a complete sht head for years because it was elderly people living here. The guy called out a 85 year old man who lived her for 50 years because the guy was selling drugs in the street.

I moved into the 85 year old mans house. I ended that sht immediately. The icer got away with a lot of stuff because he was tall and intimidating. My 70 year old dad was walking his dogs and this guy tried to fight my dad...twice. That was the last straw. I saw him in the morning and said knock It off or you're not going to like the results.

Like most bullies, since I was bigger then the dude and he knew hed lose in a fight- he folded immediately like a little kid when he realized his tough guy routine would not work.

He tried to do some nonsense like rev his engine in front my house or stare at me. Im not going to fight. Im no idiot.

I went and got a TRO and an injunction filed against the moron and so did my dad. I told his aunty he comes up here again he goes to jail and any further of this I sue you for nuisance violations.

More then anything I want to pummel both the old lady and her nephew into the ground but that would not be a good example for my kid and I would likely end up in court. So I did the right thing and got an injunction filed against the dude.

I also realized he has no drivers license and went to jail for a night last year for getting pulled over without one. So If I see him driving now Ill just call police and he will get a 30 day lock up.

You cant reason with these dckheads. Need to use the law to your advantage.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
The neighbor across from me is renting a house from the owner in some weird situation. Her nephew is an idiot drug addict icer who got away with being a complete sht head for years because it was elderly people living here. The guy called out a 85 year old man who lived her for 50 years because the guy was selling drugs in the street.

I moved into the 85 year old mans house. I ended that sht immediately. The icer got away with a lot of stuff because he was tall and intimidating. My 70 year old dad was walking his dogs and this guy tried to fight my dad...twice. That was the last straw. I saw him in the morning and said knock It off or you're not going to like the results.

Like most bullies, since I was bigger then the dude and he knew hed lose in a fight- he folded immediately like a little kid when he realized his tough guy routine would not work.

He tried to do some nonsense like rev his engine in front my house or stare at me. Im not going to fight. Im no idiot.

I went and got a TRO and an injunction filed against the moron and so did my dad. I told his aunty he comes up here again he goes to jail and any further of this I sue you for nuisance violations.

More then anything I want to pummel both the old lady and her nephew into the ground but that would not be a good example for my kid and I would likely end up in court. So I did the right thing and got an injunction filed against the dude.

I also realized he has no drivers license and went to jail for a night last year for getting pulled over without one. So If I see him driving now Ill just call police and he will get a 30 day lock up.

You cant reason with these dckheads. Need to use the law to your advantage.
Some of my fathers wisest words to me:

nothing is scarier than an established and sufficient aged white male who can demonstrate an ability to maintain a calm mind while utilizing the authorities to their benefit.

“we“ do not need to fight with our fists.

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
However, my next door neighbor has some sort of craft/business going on where he runs a chop saw close to my wife's office window 3-4 times a week all day. Pretty (no, really) annoying. Don't have the will/need to confront him. YET.
Whenever I run power tools I feel bad about the sound. I do it during business hours, try to keep it as short as possible, and do it in the spot farthest from my neighbors' houses. I never understood how someone can be oblivious that they're being annoying. I mean, they'd notice if a saw was running next door. They'd be annoyed if it was particularly loud, frequent, early, or late.

Reactions: Chocki and $kully

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Whenever I run power tools I feel bad about the sound. I do it during business hours, try to keep it as short as possible, and do it in the spot farthest from my neighbors' houses. I never understood how someone can be oblivious that they're being annoying. I mean, they'd notice if a saw was running next door. They'd be annoyed if it was particularly loud, frequent, early, or late.
When working on house projects, I always let the neighbors know ahead of time that I will be making noise. I give them a time window of when I expect to start and finish. If it's going to be really loud for hours, I will offer them movie tickets. This worked very well for us when we built our ADU a couple of years ago. No complaints and the neighbors are happy that we improved the neighborhood and increased the value of their homes.
Now our next door neighbor is doing an addition and have followed our cue and let everyone know what days they will be making noise and for how long. Next Saturday will be jackhammering concrete day and it's going to be loud.
We're lucky to have good neighbors and we try to be good neighbors back.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Some of my fathers wisest words to me:

nothing is scarier than an established and sufficient aged white male who can demonstrate an ability to maintain a calm mind while utilizing the authorities to their benefit.

“we“ do not need to fight with our fists.
Forgot the best part.

The old crazy lady told me this sob story about how the icer attacked her 70 year old female friend. The most messed up part is the entire conversation she justified how her nephew just cant control himself and its not his fault and her friend should not have made him mad and blah blah blah.

Recorded the entire conversation with my phone in my pocket. So if I need It- I got it.

I told the police that he attacked her like a week after it happened and they didn't seem to care. Either way- I got it for court should I need it.

Reactions: PRCD

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
On that note- it legit bothers me when I see neighbors who have no respect for their other neighbors. No matter where in the world I am.

prob the same idiots that have conversations in public on speaker phones

Reactions: PRCD

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
The question is "How much sh!t do you put up with to avoid being the asshole of the neighborhood?"

Here is what I always do. I always try NOT to be an asshole, everyday and in every way. Then I don't need to put up with ANY sh!t. One function of assholes is to sh!t. Just don't BE one.
I love neighbors like you. You can just what you like and they dont say sh!t. Using your lawn for my dogs toilet. Put up a shooting range near your kitchen. Let my dogs attack your children and cats. Let my loose garbage fly into your yard. Your so cool

abalone

Michael Peterson status
Jan 16, 2002
You ever go to the speedway bike races at the fair grounds? Early Bruce Penhall, Danny “Berserko”Becker?
Bruce Penhall is my age and grew up in my hometown. I didn't know him well but he was good friends with our next-door neighbor. Bruce sure has seen his share of tragedy--in 1975 his parents and three others died in a plane crash after departing Mammoth; his dad was the pilot. Bruce was 18 at the time. Later, his son Connor was killed by a drunk driver. No idea what he's up to now, hope he's doing okay.

• Sad
Reactions: Pico and ElOgro

abalone

Michael Peterson status
Jan 16, 2002
Glad this came up on this board for I think I am about to become the asshole of the neighborhood. Brief synopsis:
https://youtube.com/shorts/JoBKICgxA_8?si=U2smTfn8rbD0Y1Jp
That's a f'd up situation. If they weren't assholes, they would have discussed their plan with you, heard your feedback, and, consequently, built the range elsewhere on their five acres. So, they're assholes, and will respond with assholedness. I can't think of anything you could say with honey or vinegar that would change who they are. Ergo, I have nothing to offer.

Reactions: kawika

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Bruce Penhall is my age and grew up in my hometown. I didn't know him well but he was good friends with our next-door neighbor. Bruce sure has seen his share of tragedy--in 1975 his parents and three others died in a plane crash after departing Mammoth; his dad was the pilot. Bruce was 18 at the time. Later, his son Connor was killed by a drunk driver. No idea what he's up to now, hope he's doing okay.
I remember the plane crash but didn’t know about his son. He had miles of style.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
That's a f'd up situation. If they weren't assholes, they would have discussed their plan with you, heard your feedback, and, consequently, built the range elsewhere on their five acres. So, they're assholes, and will respond with assholedness. I can't think of anything you could say with honey or vinegar that would change who they are. Ergo, I have nothing to offer.
That is messed up. I don't even know how I would respond to that situation.

Reactions: john4surf

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
That is messed up. I don't even know how I would respond to that situation.
Next time you’re at Barnes and Noble or other retailer with a magazine rack, thumb through the mags and remove/keep those little tear out ’post cards’ that list all the advertisers in that mag. Fill in your neighbors name, addy, etc., and check all the boxes from advertisers you would like more info from; drop off in the post office mail box. They will have fun with 100-200 ads coming to their home mail box for the next decade…