How much name dropping/boasting can you tolerate?

kelpcutter

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 24, 2008
Start name dropping erBB handles and explain the difference between stock and stoke.
Start a conversation about macroeconomics and don't stop talking until he falls asleep or walks away.
Take a shot every time he says something annoying.
Make up bingo cards with all the BS he usually spouts and hand them out to everyone except him.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
This guy is over the top.

It's the husband of my wife's cousin.

I just can't stand to be around the guy. The self congratulatory stories, the talk of his Navy Seal buddies, he cannot stop talking about himself, etc

I avoided an event she wanted me to attend last week because of this guy, gave him another chance the other day and it was even worse.

I am supposed to be around him again this weekend so I'm hoping to strategize in advance.
Talk to him like you are talking to a beloved pet.

Make a face like you are trying to talk to a little baby.

He won't know what hit him.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Why talk to someone who irritates you so badly?
how about a simple “cool story bro, I’m gonna grab another drink and catch up with you later”

sitting at a table?
get involved in other conversations

don’t want to be rude? Smile and nod

id probably get pretty high and just be amused by it

Reactions: sdsrfr

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Why talk to someone who irritates you so badly?
When there's only a few of us it happens.

how about a simple “cool story bro, I’m gonna grab another drink and catch up with you later”
see above

don’t want to be rude? Smile and nod
Has been my strategy

3 hours or so straight of it is tough.

I'm just going to lay down it down to her - this guy is intolerable, plan on going along without me from here on out.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth

see above

Has been my strategy

I'm just going to lay down it down to her - this guy is intolerable, plan on going along without me from here on out.
Bro man up and take care of business yourself and establish dominance over this dude. Let him corner you at a social gathering thinking he has a victim to regale with tales of his spec op bros. Tell him even though you’re married you’re also into dudes and leave at that to start. If it doesn’t scare him off, you have to fall back and rely on superior firepower and superior intelligence and escalate the situation. Compliment him on his physique and ask if he wouldn’t like a gym bro. Make sure to ask if he’s into saunas and post workout massages

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002

see above

Has been my strategy

There are some couples where the guy is a bore and the girl is great
i think it’s fine to hang with the cool girl and ignore the bore

but just saying you aren’t going should work too

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
easy - after the second time i roll my eyes and call them out in a joking way.

"Hey, you dropped something."
"huh?"
"A name!"

a little haha they get the point without getting offended. One of my good friends is the biggest name dropper,. people no one else even knows and he needs to be constantly reminded.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
My buddy's parents apparently hang with a guy like this. Buddy was complaining that his family drives down to visit and the guy swings by and is this non-stop tool the whole time.

He was talking them into some sort of silly investment thing that sounded like a scheme or swindle, and I think Jamie Dimon had said something about long-term performance of the S&P 500 and other good benchmarks around that time.

So I told my buddy, next time you're down there, say Jamie Dimon, CEO of JP Morgan Chase, says this is nonsense compared to the S&P 500.

Apparently the dude immediately said Bobby invests with him, and that they're buddies, and Jamie Dimon is known as Bobby to his friends. The parents wholeheartedly believed this.

Joshua2415

Tom Curren status
Jul 18, 2005
San Clemente
I go into mental drift pretty quickly.

I do the same when people talk about work. So much good sh!t out there in the world and you want to talk about WORK?! GTFO. Even my coworkers and I don't talk about work when we're at work. At least we try to avoid it.
First rule of work club... :computer: