How much more will your Big Mac cost if we raise the minimum wage?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I need money survive now, not in a year. So faced with expenses today, $15/hr now sounds better if it will keep me off welfare.

If I take your $10 I'll need some government financial assistance until that year when I prove myself to you. Do I deserve to be under surveillance for that year?
Then you’re not the right fit for me.

It’s not a matter of “proving” yourself. It’s a matter of whether you are legally able to perform work without me being physically present and are therefore billable.

And what’s with this surveillance bullshit?

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
The guy with a 4 bedroom house that makes six-figures yet has 5-6 figures worth of credit card debt and a country club membership is not much different than the neglectful parent that doesn't adequately feed their kids yet smokes 2 packs a day. Priorities.
They are two very different things, and are problems that likely have two very different root causes.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
When someone (government) is FORCING me to pay someone above market value because “they can’t afford rent” then it is my goddamn business what they’re paying for instead of rent.
Actually no, it's none of your business.

They do the work, you pay them and STFU.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Derp.

Here’s the deal (again). At $10 an hour it’s worth the RISK for me to hire a person with little to no experience. Within about a year that person will be able to work on their own at around $30 an hour plus benefits.

Or they can get that “other job” flipping burgers for $15 an hour and within a year they’ll be making $15.75 an hour.

Or more realistically that person with no experience or education and maybe did time or fought in Iraq an has some ptsd issues (these are the type I hire) never gets a job.

$15 an minimum wage hurts poor people the most.

Employers are not just going to eat that cost.

They aren’t.

Either people get laid off or prices go up (which hurts the poor the most) or both.

This isn’t a controversial fact.

Even former CA governor Jerry Brown said (when he was signing into law a MW increase) the “it doesn’t make economic sense” but it’s makes people feel good (the people who pass these laws) about themselves.
LOL.

If you want to train people at $10/hour, you can do it at $15 as well. Particularly if a year down the road you're willing/forced to pay $30. At what point during that first year does their work value increase from $10/hour to $30? Is it at exactly day 365?

I'd also add that it's been repeatedly proven that paying a bit more than you need to helps keep employees happy over the longer term, which lowers costs to the employer substantially. Employee turnover is one of the most costly issues in business.

Reactions: plasticbertrand

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
All this is nice, but if I read correctly a while back, the answer to the question is ten cents.

Your big mac will be about 10 cents more expensive.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Duffy has a valid point

he's purposely building mobility in to his hiring and employment practices

for this he should be lauded. straight up.

there are programs that allow someone to pay below federal minimum wage,
but, oddly, there is not one specific to this type of business practice...essentially
on the job vocational education.

that is a clear shortcoming in the system

Reactions: grapedrink

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Duffy has a valid point

he's purposely building mobility in to his hiring and employment practices

for this he should be lauded. straight up.

there are programs that allow someone to pay below federal minimum wage,
but, oddly, there is not one specific to this type of business practice...essentially
on the job vocational education.

that is a clear shortcoming in the system
Very true.

But if you read on, you'll see that he's got 3 employees and the newest is 18 years on the job. So he's not actually hiring anyone, apparently.

• Haha
Reactions: afoaf

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
All this is nice, but if I read correctly a while back, the answer to the question is ten cents.

Your big mac will be about 10 cents more expensive.
That price is outdated. Which is good on Hammies and everyone else who doesn't know, because it means that they don't eat their enough to quote the price.

A quick google search shows that it's about $4 in California.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
If I take your $10 I'll need some government financial assistance until that year when I prove myself to you. Do I deserve to be under surveillance for that year?
The same people who don't want to pay a living wage also think that taxation is theft yet they force their employees on government welfare.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
LOL.

If you want to train people at $10/hour, you can do it at $15 as well. Is it at exactly day 365?
Actually no I can’t.
Particularly if a year down the road you're willing/forced to pay $30. At what point during that first year does their work value increase from $10/hour to $30?
Ive already explained this multiple times. My work requires numerous certifications in order for someone to work on their own. I can’t bill for an employees time if they are certified because my clients won’t pay it. The 1 year mark is an ESTIMATE of how much time it takes to gain the experience and knowledge to get the required certifications.

Once certified you’re worth $30.

I’m going to assume you have never employed anyone in California but I can assure you that $15 and costs a lot more than $5 extra per hour to hire.

At $10 an hour I’m losing money. At $15 it’s not worth the risk.

That’s what this is about. How much am I willing to risk to invest in a new employee? I’ve done the numbers. You need to factor in cost of employment, is this person reliable, do I expect to have enough work in the next year, 5 years, 10 years to support this additional employee? Will the extra stress, time investment, money investment, etc result in a higher profit for the company and will that be worth the extra investment?

I tap out above $10 an hour.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Actually no I can’t.

Ive already explained this multiple times. My work requires numerous certifications in order for someone to work on their own. I can’t bill for an employees time if they are certified because my clients won’t pay it. The 1 year mark is an ESTIMATE of how much time it takes to gain the experience and knowledge to get the required certifications.

Once certified you’re worth $30.

I’m going to assume you have never employed anyone in California but I can assure you that $15 and costs a lot more than $5 extra per hour to hire.

At $10 an hour I’m losing money. At $15 it’s not worth the risk.

That’s what this is about. How much am I willing to risk to invest in a new employee? I’ve done the numbers. You need to factor in cost of employment, is this person reliable, do I expect to have enough work in the next year, 5 years, 10 years to support this additional employee? Will the extra stress, time investment, money investment, etc result in a higher profit for the company and will that be worth the extra investment?

I tap out above $10 an hour.
Worth $30 to whom?

But again, even at $10, you don't appear to be hiring anyone. So this whole discussion seems irrelevant.