How much more will your Big Mac cost if we raise the minimum wage?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
You have to "listen"?

Who's forcing you?

You poor thing, how will you survive?

With every post you prove that you are a petty cünt.
LOL, I never claimed any kind of victim status. I'm also a good listener. Hard to believe, I know. I like to spend time with people I care about, even if they are going through tough times. However if they keep complaining to me about the same problems while doing nothing to mitigate them, then after a certain amount of time I'm going to give them an honest reply.

Thankfully the people I hang out with nowadays have their personal lives together. And yes, I can't stand people who give unsolicited advice or ask you how much you spent on something etc etc. But if I were to complain about being broke while out spending money on $7 pints of beer and someone were to call me out on it, they'd be perfectly in the right to do so.

The broader point is don't complain about your issues and then claim "none of your business!" when people point out the flaws in your behavior and mentality. Glass houses!

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
I wasn't talking about welfare, but thanks for the strawman :shaka:
Strawman was not intended. Anyone can spend on what they want, and it's none of your business. And you know this is a typical argument about welfare and poor people. And I'm willing to bet serious money that what welfare recipients spend money on is a concern of yours.

Last edited:

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
LOL, I never claimed any kind of victim status. I'm also a good listener. Hard to believe, I know. I like to spend time with people I care about, even if they are going through tough times. However if they keep complaining to me about the same problems while doing nothing to mitigate them, then after a certain amount of time I'm going to give them an honest reply.

Thankfully the people I hang out with nowadays have their personal lives together. And yes, I can't stand people who give unsolicited advice or ask you how much you spent on something etc etc. But if I were to complain about being broke while out spending money on $7 pints of beer and someone were to call me out on it, they'd be perfectly in the right to do so.

The broader point is don't complain about your issues and then claim "none of your business!" when people point out the flaws in your behavior and mentality. Glass houses!
so in summary, you’ve turned a post about raising minimum wage into a claim that people on welfare complain too much and shouldn‘t be allowed to buy beer.

I see.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
My employees make $35-$40 and hour, health insurance and retirement plans. Wellness programs and profit sharing bonuses as well.

And no, cell phones and cars are not as necessary as food and shelter.

And when government is forcing me to to pay entry level workers more than they are worth it is my business what they spend it on.

If you have a nice car, cell phone, weed habit, cable tv but ‘can’t afford’ rent then your priorities are mixed up.
Why do you care what people's priorities are?

It's absolutely none of your business.

They do the work, you pay them a living wage.

All the things you listed are part of living, why would you want the standard of living in the US to be so shitty that people can work full time and still live on the poverty line?

Pettiness, envy, what is it with you people?

And if you can't afford to pay people a minimum wage, don't employ them.

I want many things I can't afford and I don't steal them.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois

All the things you listed are part of living, why would you want the standard of living in the US to be so shitty that people can work full time and still live on the poverty line?

we musn’t question the current iteration of capitalism. It’s unpatriotic.

Reactions: plasticbertrand

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

They work for me and I pay them what they are worth.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
My employees make $35-$40 and hour, health insurance and retirement plans. Wellness programs and profit sharing bonuses as well.

And no, cell phones and cars are not as necessary as food and shelter.

And when government is forcing me to to pay entry level workers more than they are worth it is my business what they spend it on.

If you have a nice car, cell phone, weed habit, cable tv but ‘can’t afford’ rent then your priorities are mixed up.
You sound like a good employer for paying that much, cheers.

It's still never any of your business what your employees spend money on, ever.

The problem is what someone is worth ought to be enough to afford to get by. if someone is working full time (40 hrs, let's use) they should be able to afford a place to live, food, phone, no matter where they live.

Cell phones are necessary for many, a lot of people these days don't have computers in their homes, it's all done on phones. I know a couple people in their 20s, successful people, who do not have computers in their homes/regular access to computers, because they use smart phones for everything electronic.

Today, electronic communication is as necessary as having a land line was 20 years ago.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

The problem is what someone is worth ought to be enough to afford to get by. if someone is working full time (40 hrs, let's use) they should be able to afford a place to live, food, phone, no matter where they live.

Cell phones are necessary for many, a lot of people these days don't have computers in their homes, it's all done on phones. I know a couple people in their 20s, successful people, who do not have computers in their homes/regular access to computers, because they use smart phones for everything electronic.

Today, electronic communication is as necessary as having a land line was 20 years ago.
When someone (government) is FORCING me to pay someone above market value because “they can’t afford rent” then it is my goddamn business what they’re paying for instead of rent.

But it’s all academic anyway because since California has the MW set where it is that theoretical employee of mine remains unemployed.

How’s $0 an hour for a “living wage”?

• Dislike

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
When someone (government) is FORCING me to pay someone above market value because “they can’t afford rent” then it is my goddamn business what they’re paying for instead of rent.

But it’s all academic anyway because since California has the MW set where it is that theoretical employee of mine remains unemployed.

How’s $0 an hour for a “living wage”?
If only there were other jobs.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
If only there were other jobs.
Derp.

Here’s the deal (again). At $10 an hour it’s worth the RISK for me to hire a person with little to no experience. Within about a year that person will be able to work on their own at around $30 an hour plus benefits.

Or they can get that “other job” flipping burgers for $15 an hour and within a year they’ll be making $15.75 an hour.

Or more realistically that person with no experience or education and maybe did time or fought in Iraq an has some ptsd issues (these are the type I hire) never gets a job.

$15 an minimum wage hurts poor people the most.

Employers are not just going to eat that cost.

They aren’t.

Either people get laid off or prices go up (which hurts the poor the most) or both.

This isn’t a controversial fact.

Even former CA governor Jerry Brown said (when he was signing into law a MW increase) the “it doesn’t make economic sense” but it’s makes people feel good (the people who pass these laws) about themselves.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

PS: i pay what my employees are worth.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
A: “Hey man, I need a raise because I can’t make rent.”

B: “Didn’t you just buy a new tv and Xbox?”

A: “it’s none of your business what I buy.”

B: “I guess you getting evicted is none of my business either.”

• Dislike

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Some of you are literally saying that anyone on any financial assistance of any kind does not deserve the same freedoms that you and I have, but rather, deserve to be under surveillance.
Chill Farakhan. I never mentioned financial assistance or people on welfare- you did. I'm not getting up in anyone's personal finances and telling them what to do. Me pointing out the irony of people complaining about how broke they are when you can visibly see where they are wastefully spending money in a broad societal context is not the same thing, and that is true across all social classes. The guy with a 4 bedroom house that makes six-figures yet has 5-6 figures worth of credit card debt and a country club membership is not much different than the neglectful parent that doesn't adequately feed their kids yet smokes 2 packs a day. Priorities.

Like I said, the only situation where I would say something is if someone owed me money and neglected to pay me back for an excessive period of time yet somehow still had money for frivolties. FWIW, I've never liked lending money and haven't done so for a while, so it's not really applicable.

• Haha
Reactions: afoaf

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Derp.

Here’s the deal (again). At $10 an hour it’s worth the RISK for me to hire a person with little to no experience. Within about a year that person will be able to work on their own at around $30 an hour plus benefits.

Or they can get that “other job” flipping burgers for $15 an hour and within a year they’ll be making $15.75 an hour.
I need money survive now, not in a year. So faced with expenses today, $15/hr now sounds better if it will keep me off welfare.

If I take your $10 I'll need some government financial assistance until that year when I prove myself to you. Do I deserve to be under surveillance for that year?