How much design detail and info does your shaper have on his website about the boards?

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Come across plenty of surfboard websites that have very poor amount of info about their various board models.
Part of the reason why we come here to ask opinions, discover what other users have found and compare notes about boards.
Super impressed with the Sunova website for the amount of detail Bert goes into with the various design aspects of his board models.
For example check out the Torpedo's detailed description :
Got a sneaking suspicion there's plenty of shapers out there that will never supply this level of detail because they are just winging it.

Reactions: ANIMA and Maz

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Yeah, except the initial pitch was as a groveller and then when you get almost to the end it says it doesn't like short fetch beach breaks.
face palm......
Just read that .. .the fuck?
So the board is when it's for when it's a pumping 2 foot then :p ?

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Yeah, except the initial pitch was as a groveller and then when you get almost to the end it says it doesn't like short fetch beach breaks.
face palm......
C'mon...cherry picking. The rest of the paragraph...thanks.
"Doesn’t like shifty short fetch beach breaks that require a quick get away, has loads of drive out of the bottom turn from the larger center fin, which in turn makes it difficult to get instant top end speed from the first pump if the wave is closing out, so take off to close out reo is a hard ask…"
High tide grovellers for rollers vs low tide grovellers for semi-closeouts.
His description reminds me of the way a McCoy Astron zot surfs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
face palm......
Just read that .. .the fook?
So the board is when it's for when it's a pumping 2 foot then :p ?
I'm with retropete on this one. The board is for soft waves from 2 foot up. It's most decidedly not for curvy short period 1-2 banger wedges in waist deep water.

Snooty point/reef snobs!

• Haha
Reactions: waxfoot

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Both my current shapers have plenty of info and Stretch even goes beyond with design and construction tutorials while campbell brothers gives detail account of board shape history and design.

Reactions: kpd73

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
I also think that when a shaper tells you too much about a board or how it's "supposed" to feel... it takes away from your personal experience.

I actually prefer that a shaper DOESNT tell me how a board is supposed to feel. Then when i ride it and I tell him my thoughts, if it matches his own, then he knows the feedback is genuine and not biase based on his previous explanation to me of how the board should ride.

Conversely, you do need a little explanation of what the design attributes are - unless you are already familiar with the board design.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I was thinking about this the other day.

One shaper that I bought some boards from has so many models on his instagram that don't appear on his website. The online board catalog looks like it hasn't been updated in over 10 years. The webdesign looks like something from 20 years ago.

I guess you just email them or call and they'll get you something and then you hope it works? I dunno. But, the guy is popular and makes plenty of sales so whatever works.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Come across plenty of surfboard websites that have very poor amount of info about their various board models.
Part of the reason why we come here to ask opinions, discover what other users have found and compare notes about boards.
Super impressed with the Sunova website for the amount of detail Bert goes into with the various design aspects of his board models.
For example check out the Torpedo's detailed description :
Got a sneaking suspicion there's plenty of shapers out there that will never supply this level of detail because they are just winging it.
With very few exceptions they are all winging it.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
CI site is very cool in the way they’ll tell you the rocker and 12” widths in addition to everything else as you muck with the length/width.

big brands need fancy sites. models and mass production.

small guys just need to be good at communication.

Reactions: Lohena and Havoc