How many times did you surf in 2015?

mhurdle858

Michael Peterson status
Mar 23, 2006
San Diego
I didn't get to surf too much this year. I had exactly 90 sessions. I had a wrist injury and was out of the water for almost 8 weeks and I also missed a few more weeks from a hip flexor issue. No surf trips either.

Another issue is small waves. When it gets around knee high, I typically take a longboard. I only had 4 sessions on a log this past year, I usually have about 20. This past summer, I was to busy or unmotivated to surf really small waves.

My goal is to get back to around 150 session a year.

Aug 10, 2011
Estero Bay
108 sessions for 2015. Didn't reach my goal of beating 2014's 129 sessions so that's the goal for 2016. Got 2 long sessions in yesterday though!

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
2015 was a good year for me. At the start of the year we worked on three houses that happened to be right in front of my regular NS spot. We were there for over two months. Then this incredible summer started early and ended late. Out of the seven or eight months of south swells I think I only missed two weeks total. There were stretches I surfed over thirty days in a row. The last two months I really slowed down, surfing once or twice a week. I surfed well over two hundred times.

dinger

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 22, 2006
I went to school for the first 6 months-- started at 9am --- 3-4 times a week

had the summer off--- 3-4 times a week

started work first week of December --- 1 time a week

most ever for me

Spooks

OTF status
Sep 18, 2015
Santa Cruz, CA
Visit site
This one time.. I surfed twice in one day.

Probably ~ 120 sessions @ an average of 2.5 hours = 300 hours in the water.

Took the nose of the board to the back of the neck one session. Gave me a nice sized hole that required an emergency hospital visit, stitches, and kept me out of the water for 3+ weeks. Lucky no concussion.

surf cat

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jan 14, 2002
"Only" 310 days this year...... 311 if I count these ~

:bowdown: Boneroni , Sponge :wave2:

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
less than Dale, but more than 200,
now that includes longboard sessions which i enjoy just fine, getting in the ocean is something i like to do and my schedule alllows me a window to get in just about every day so i do it even in what most consider to be too windy, too small, too closed out etc. i have always been easily amused... these last 6 months the water has been so warm around here that i was getting in just because it felt good. beats watching TV

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I didn't take that as a personal dig, but the reality is I have a long commute and work 10 hour days most of the time. But, I also have a lot of leeway to blow off work, I live 300 yards from a great stretch of peaks, and go surf when the waves are good, mediocre, and even sh1tty sometimes. that doesn't mean I'm going to blow off work for knee high slop though either, especially when the water is in the low 40's and the air below freezing. And the reality of surfing in NY is many of the "rideable" days that would potentially increase ones session count just aren't worth the cold or the missed work. there most certainly are NOT 180 days of mediocre-to-good surf days in NY. I wish there were.

saucerboy

Nep status
Aug 10, 2009
Santa Cruz
Year before last I logged sessions and I was around 200. This past year I didn't log but it had to be fewer -- maybe 130-150. I surfed more when I lived in SD and LA counties even though the surf is better up here. The mountain biking is so good here that I end up splitting time between the two sports. 114 rides last year according to Strava.

ShiverMeTimbers

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
5 surf sessions and about 80 kite sessions, a third of those on a surfboard. Now that my daughter is a year old, hopefully we'll get to the coast more often.

I didn't keep track of my bike riding, but probably around 50+ rides over 15 miles. Hoping to increase all numbers this year.

jts80

Legend (inyourownmind)
May 17, 2007
NJ
Probably between 20-30 sessions which is really low but working full time, living 1 hour from the beach and having a kid under a year old all directly work against surfing.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Ah timely….. 1st day back in the office for 2016 and tailed the days off of my calendar.

62 days
73 sessions

Not bad for my current stature and seems to be the average in recent years.

2015 started off amazing, but after March things pretty much went downhill. Upped the ante in May down in Mainland Mex where I dubbed sheshed for 9 days straight. Early summer was a fail and mid to late summer blew like most do. Fall consistency was below average esp early. Had some good ones in late Oct through Nov, but then the storm track went firehouse and December was one of the worst I’ve seen. Not the best surf year, but that said things started and ended nicely. We always pay our dues on way or another.

Here’s to 2016, which has not disappointed as of yet.

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
ifallalot said:
rice said:
I'd say I got right around 125. Surf has been super fun lately. :smile2:
I hate you
I usually only surf weekends, but I surf at least twice every single weekend, so that's 104. Then I'm sure I had 20 (week at Leo, long weekends at Refugio, etc.) on top of that....?

mahoa

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 31, 2008
been steady 5 days a week since June. water was just too warm not to paddle out. thinking back to last winter/spring-- scored tons more wind-free afternoons than normal thanks to all that high pressure including the best day at blacks I've personally logged.

add to that, outrigger canoe (steered team san diego in a howling Pailolo challenge this past sept) and I think I'm somewhere in the 250-300 range with several standout days in the mix.

have to say, 2015 was easily my best year of surf.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
easternlines said:
Probably between 20-30 sessions which is really low but working full time, living 1 hour from the beach and having a kid under a year old all directly work against surfing.
I know that feeling.

I used to surf everyday. Now I'm happy if I make it to the beach twice in a month.