How many sessions do you give a new board

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
Been on the fence about a new board after a handful of paddle outs in mediocre waves . curious how many sessions do you give a new board before you decide you click with it or not.

• Sad
Reactions: MathDebater

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
Depends on the reason you aren't clicking with it. Could it be conditions? A change in size/shape that needs a little time to adjust to? Or maybe it's obviously over/under sized? First two counsel for more time, last one is usually pretty easy to make a definitive decision.

edit/tldr: what santacruzin said

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
3 - 5 I would say. Three if you're riding it in conditions it was meant for. 5 if you're riding it in conditions it should work in even if it's maybe not a perfect fit.

The hallmark of a good board IMO is versatility. Why have a board that only works well when it's 2' - 4' and good to excellent conditions, or something like that?

The 4 -5 sessions I try and reserve for seeing how well it goes in its suited conditions. But even then, it's already kind of done deal bc boards with that narrow of a range never seem to leave the rack. At least that's been my experience.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
4-7 surfs. There’s so many variables. but after buying used boars to try different stuff for the past few years, I can generally make dims that are close work. However, If something is just too small, I know after 1-2 surfs.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Did using volume as a dim kill the ole feel under arm if you know a board is going to work or not :shrug: Still works for me and only once custom had issues but it was with fins:drowning: once corrected board rode like champ:waving:

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
New boards: minimum 5 sessions - if you sell it you're gonna take a huge depreciation hit, so why not?

Used boards: 2 sessions, then try and flip for more $$$.

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
I hate to pick on you but I find it wildly off-putting when you sell someone a used board and then you see it on CL for $100 more.
I never said I was successful :roflmao:

Honestly, the most I've ever made from a board was $50, which is probably $30 in US money.

Mar 7, 2018
i wait until i get good conditions (but not necessarily great) in the range the board is designed for.
you sort of need that to work out the balance and nuances.
having said that, if it cannot be worked out in good waves then it is trade in time.....
there's too many accommodating bits of foam out there in the market.

Reactions: Aruka

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I'm about to finish a board and there are no good waves on the radar. I hate and usually will not try a new board in shitty waves.

In your case, I would not get rid of it until you have tried it in good waves. Otherwise you might be judging the waves, not the board.