How Many Boards Do You Own and Actually Surf?

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Fish
5'10 Small'ish wave stubby
2 x HPSB
6'2 Deep six step up
6'3 Ghost step up
6'6 Longer Step up
6'6 Bonzer
6'10 Fat mini gun
7'6 Gun
9'3 Log

I surf them all. Waves here go from ankle high to 3 X OH and back in no time.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Rider 6'0 215, 44yo. I think 4 is pretty low for someone who surfs often and is an adult.
Maybe.

I definitely don't surf regularly here.
If I move homes or move jobs so that I'm more able to surf more often, you may be right.

I've never been a big board buyer or hoarder. I tend to ride em into the ground.

Drumsurf

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 4, 2012
Beach
20 plus in the garage rafters (5-6 are my son's). 4 of mine are on a rack and get regular use. Hypto, fish and a mid length. The step up is there too but doesn't seem to see enough surf to get out.

Reactions: Aruka

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
i like to think of it as having a quiver of quivers, where you have at least one all-rounder in every sub-quiver.

so for example you got your longboard quiver with a 9-8 traditional noserider, a 9-4 all rounder, and a 9-0 hplb 2+1 to **** gromsdad off.

then you got your gun quiver with a 9-0 stretch buzzgun for those just fn send it days, an 8-4 parmy that can you can realistically ride in anything, another stretch in the mid 7's that'll work except when its too fn big.

course you'll need a few steps-ups. parmy's are best from 6-6 up to 7-4 or so. tri's and widow makers mostly.

for style points u can't forget the mid-lengths. single fins only here some of y'all might want to look away. cc flat tracker and couple andreini's to get all hully on.

oh yeah shortboards, get back on gd's good side if there is one. thrusters and twinnys and quads. stretchs again here 5-9, 6-0, 6-2 or so.

fishes? got to have fishes. cc keel, mabile twinzer (which is the best), bing cypress a shortboard thats actually just a squash tail fish.

i lost count, how many is that? 6. i got 6 quivers. whew...

Mar 27, 2019
Somewhere
i like to think of it as having a quiver of quivers, where you have at least one all-rounder in every sub-quiver.

so for example you got your longboard quiver with a 9-8 traditional noserider, a 9-4 all rounder, and a 9-0 hplb 2+1 to **** gromsdad off.

then you got your gun quiver with a 9-0 stretch buzzgun for those just fn send it days, an 8-4 parmy that can you can realistically ride in anything, another stretch in the mid 7's that'll work except when its too fn big.

course you'll need a few steps-ups. parmy's are best from 6-6 up to 7-4 or so. tri's and widow makers mostly.

for style points u can't forget the mid-lengths. single fins only here some of y'all might want to look away. cc flat tracker and couple andreini's to get all hully on.

oh yeah shortboards, get back on gd's good side if there is one. thrusters and twinnys and quads. stretchs again here 5-9, 6-0, 6-2 or so.

fishes? got to have fishes. cc keel, mabile twinzer (which is the best), bing cypress a shortboard thats actually just a squash tail fish.

i lost count, how many is that? 6. i got 6 quivers. whew...
Damn
Now I need a gun quiver...That won't go over well with the auditor at my home:(

Last edited:

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Haha quiver of quivers. I guess I think like that but in pairs.

If the waves are supposed to be small, I bring groveler and hybrid fun/rippy board.
If waves are supposed to be decent to good, I bring hybrind fun/rippy board and high performance board.
If waves are supposed to be good to great, I bring high performance board and mini step-up/barrel board.
If waves are supposed to be big, I bring mini step-up/barrel board and proper step up.

Mar 27, 2019
Somewhere
especially after you try to explain you don't really NEED them for the waves your surfing.
I fixed it for you. Picture me as the little kid getting dragged out of the toy store, shouting he needs it.

This thread is going to corrupt a lot of people. I think my Bulldog needs a quiver now. She likes single fins....she told me.:)

Last edited:

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I have 3 boards that haven’t been used in a long time. An 8’0 and a 7’4 Tokoro 4X and a 6’0 Ronnie Woodward Local Motion channel bottom. I should just leave them at the beach for someone who needs a board.

Got a 9’2 Ole 9 stringer longboard I haven’t ridden in years. Told Paul who I got it from if he wants it back we can trade. Got it for painting his house years ago.

Got a 5’10 HIC Arakawa Wombat haven’t ridden in a but it’s an eps/epoxy that is yellow would feel bad selling it. Plus it’s super fun to ride.

The other boards get ridden a bunch. 5’9 Twin from Vesso. 5’10 Hot Pocket from Vesso(stubby performance), 6’4 HIC M7 RP from Kerry Tokoro, my step up that I should’ve used last big south.

From Wade Tokoro, 5’10 X2 stubby performance. 6’0 Moonfish that is a cruisey ripper. 6’0 and 6’2 4X for tubes.

The boards under 6’0 I get glassed pro style so after they lose they’re pop I’ll give them away to one of the kids that can surf my dims. Kids in college that have a beat up board or one of the life guards that are underpaid by the city for what they provide. I’d hate to take money an the board breaks. If I sell them it’s usually pretty cheap.

I gave 2 boards to a homeowner I do a lot of work for. His wife was saying she wants him to surf more but he was saying his old boards are too chippy. He hasn’t used them yet. He’s funny if it’s 25 feet he’ll tow surf, even this winter but head high perfect waves no urgency to surf.

Thinking of replacing the 6’7 I gave away but in bigger dims and to a 6’8. Maybe after summer if we can still surf.

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
6 boards at moment. 3 shortys and 2 fish, 1 grovel. Likely another on way. My 6 yr old said she needs different boards for pool and beach. I said can't you just use the same one? She replied why don't you use the same one? She now has a new one on the way for her summer shredz. Between their boogies and their softops my kids have the bigger quiver now.

Reactions: retodd

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
~15. All that don't get used I need to lose 10-15#

Round/Roundpin
6'10" = trips, got denied in Palm Beach during Sandy local shape 5 box heavy glass
6'8" = trips. Round Up bought used in incredible shape. high volume. For decent surf after 2 months of Florida flatness.
6'6" x 2 = trips, occasional day at home when I want more paddling. local thrusters

Kook-enabler "shortboards"
6'4" x 2 squash thrusters = fun+ days at home + Sub Driver comes on trips often. Baby Buggy feels like it might ding putting it in a boardbag.
6'2" x 2 swallow = better in smaller surf than my 6'4". Was trying to sell older one with tail issues around finbox (shark quad) and for now keep Psycho Killer.

Grovel/Alt
6'2" x 1 = beat to hell local shape quad. Really, really beat. Ordered after didn't click with Biscuit, tried to replace with Puddle Fish; failed. Obsessed over low rocker, obsession paid off. It goes.
5'8" or 5'9" = Black Dart Bean Bag, replaces local grovel shape in Longboard waves or anything flat-faced. Local shape still smokes it in quicker/dumpier surf but both feel clunky with so much built-in projection.
5'9" = LTPJ. Low volume, just above (1-1.5L) boards I don't use as much; flatness and construction = gets waves very well. Wants a little chip vs a shapeless flat-faced closeout wall, but the littlest chip/shoulder and a pump or two on the face and it just hauls complete ass.

Quiver template minus curiousity purchases I cycle through, with overlap in event of dinging - if it's fun and not a million degrees I normally have two boards in car.

1. Bean Bag in alt construction. Would order C4 most likely.
2. Flat concave quad to overlap with BB and do the quicker jacking small wave thing. Ideally alt construction
3. PJ or alty quad fish like RNFQ. Overlaps with top of #2 and bottom of #4. Ideally alt construction
4. Something like a Rocket for tight inside waves. Tail flip for jacking drops on inside ledge, forward volume/width for surf refusing to let you in.
5. Generic thrusters. 2-3x One for going top to bottom/steep waves, one that has great projection for flatter faces
6. 6'6" round/roundpin. 2x One for top to bottom, one for points/flatter faces.
7. ????? I have a high volume 6'8" I've had on one trip, doesn't shred like the 6'6", paddles and gets into sh!t mental. Older 6'10" is lower volume and have had on several trips. Doesn't like delaying takeoff in dumping waves; had a confidence-wrecking pearl trying to be cool; catapulted head into flat and neck hurt for a week, couldn't turn head more than a little bit for days. I just don't surf these waves and these boards enough to know anything other than my 6'4"s do NOT want to match wave speed with me on them, but these go so well.

Last edited:

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
2 or 3. I've thinned the herd quite a bit in recent years. If I don't ride it, it's goes on Craigslist, priced to sell. And I try to get as many years as possible out of a board since surfing is already such an environmentally unfriendly activity.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Maybe.

I definitely don't surf regularly here.
If I move homes or move jobs so that I'm more able to surf more often, you may be right.

I've never been a big board buyer or hoarder. I tend to ride em into the ground.

Ideally, I'd have
2 longboards, one more loggy, one a bit more refined to be able to put on rail a bit easier.
1 Mid-Length. No idea what world I'd be getting into, but the idea of one sounds fun.
1 Step up
1 pumped up volume shortboard/step up. Could be a single, widow maker. Something for days where I want to be be able to cruise and go straight in barrels without wondering about paddling or when I just want to glide around.
2 shortboard all rounders
1 Fish
I short little puffed up thing for the drainy little left by the house or off days at the beaches for S'&G's

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
I own two. They are in the rafters in grammy's garage in SD. But I never surf them because I have a friend in SD with the most amazing quiver imaginable and he doesn't mind loaning them out. I'm especially fond of his 10'2 Hansen. The thing has almost no rocker. I swear it can catch its own wake.

Reactions: retodd

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
5 boards
I have a 9'6" 2+1, local-shaped longboard that is super fun that I ride whenever it's sub thigh high
Have a 7'8" GH roundpin gun that I don't surf as much as I should. Surfed it in big surf last winter and thought I was going to drown
Have a 6'6" Parmenter Occ'ster that is fun when waves are good
6'0" White Diamond
5'11" Album fish that I just got about a month ago and have been riding a lot

Our son has 5 more and daughter has one log.

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
5'4" soft river board/used in ocean as well
6'0" INT for ocean/river use
6'4" Meeks
6'4" Tokoro
6'6" single fin Surf Prescriptions
6'8" Meeks
9'6" KB gun, mostly used for paddling as I would possibly drown in surf that big right now.
2 11' Jimmy Stiks inflatables for river use or multi day trips. Fished on lakes with it before.
Couple boogers/swimming kickboard
Da Kine fins

Had a few of those for long time, some recently procured like the Meeks.