How long to get this level of skill on a foul?

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
25 years as a sponsored kite surfer sure doesn't hurt. To do something that fun in your own mind. Maybe 1 season. So 3 months. You have to fully commit though. Wing foiling is very fun and not terribly hard to learn. Best to go somewhere and learn where you can do it 7 days in a row though. Like Maui or La Ventana Baja.

Local guy in Malibu started foiling last summer, winging 2-3 months ago and is now wingfoiling at Topanga and having that much fun. He goes 5 out of 7 days though.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
this would be perfect for you b/c you're so crowd averse (me too)
I hate other surfers now. My session quality is determined more by the crowd than how good the waves are. Which explains why I spent more than half of last spring/summer at a lake instead of the ocean. Then when I am in the ocean it turns out that there are bigger and faster waves to ride well outside of the surfzone.

If you've ever been frustrated by a surf forecast not coming through, just wait until you start dealing with wind forecasts. Wind is so stupid! Wind makes surfer's disappear though, so it's worth it.

averagejoe

Miki Dora status
May 28, 2008
So far away
www.mardawg.com
once wind season kicks in, which is basically now (good wind today but i'm too busy with work fml), i don't really think about surf that much. it's very predictable and consistent here so i can count on 3-4 sessions/wk, which is plenty.

agree with the advice that you could become a competent winger in a week in la ventana.

i plan on gearing up with a wing setup in may

Reactions: ghostshaper

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
All you grumpy surfers check out this video. This is what happens when you leave the kiddie pool near shore. There are bigger faster, longer waves out in the ocean.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
All you grumpy surfers check out this video. This is what happens when you leave the kiddie pool near shore. There are bigger faster, longer waves out in the ocean.

You have to get a ride back after those downwind sessions, right? Does anyone beat upwind with their wing?

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Yes the SUP guys do shuttle's back to the start. On a wing you can go upwind, but it's work. You go upwind for 40 minutes to get 10 minutes downwind. Somewhere around that ratio.

Reactions: PRCD

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Thinking about it. Price barrier tho
onofoil.com. Best deal in foiling. Or I can find you used gear. What do you want to do? Depending on the sport it’ll be a bit over $1200. Sell two surfboards.

Unifoil pinion hand wings. Any size $500 each right now.

Reactions: Havoc

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Did you ever end up trying it?
Yeah I have a whole setup. It took me a while to get started because the first board I had came with a pinhole leak and the repair was a disaster. So ended up having to order a board, which arrived in the fall.

Was going once or twice a week late last year.

The problem around here is the tide needs to be right and the swell needs to be small enough for learning and your schedule has to coincide with that, which has been difficult over the past few months between work, being out of town, and remodeling.

Reactions: PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Yeah I have a whole setup. It took me a while to get started because the first board I had came with a pinhole leak and the repair was a disaster. So ended up having to order a board, which arrived in the fall.

Was going once or twice a week late last year.

The problem around here is the tide needs to be right and the swell needs to be small enough for learning and your schedule has to coincide with that, which has been difficult over the past few months between work, being out of town, and remodeling.
Seems like they'd have lessons in the San Diego bay or Mission Bay. Were you winging or prone paddling?
[

$1000 should get you flying np

but beware, its a blue pill-red pill scenario
What means - you either love it or hate it?