How long should a wetsuit last?

sickdog

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 5, 2006
My Oneil hood began to disintegrate before 1 year was up. The Aleeda is over 30 years old and in better condition.

• Wow
Reactions: expotatonator

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
just found a hole in my 4/3 oneil...i use this suit max 2/3 mos a year....
glue or replace?
I’m assuming you rinse on the reg bro? Glue the sh!t out of it. That’s what they sell it for. I started glueing repairs then transitioned into gluing proactively. Dgaf if my wetsuit looked Bering Sea Gold adjacent.

Also am very proactive with melting looses threads at bartacks etc on all my gear and clothes. Imo that’s your initial point of failure.

Reactions: expotatonator

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
I used to keep suits for like 5-6 seasons when i had little money - they held up as i rinsed and hung after every session, but the last 2-3 seasons of these suits would be noticeably chillier than the first few.

Would always be shocked at how much better a new suit was after purchase.

Now I try to keep a 3/2 for two seasons - after that i typically cut off the legs or arms or both to make a shorty to use for a few more seasons.

5/4's i keep 3 seasons

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I used to keep suits for like 5-6 seasons when i had little money - they held up as i rinsed and hung after every session, but the last 2-3 seasons of these suits would be noticeably chillier than the first few.

Would always be shocked at how much better a new suit was after purchase.

Now I try to keep a 3/2 for two seasons - after that i typically cut off the legs or arms or both to make a shorty to use for a few more seasons.

5/4's i keep 3 seasons

The only 5/4 I locked up like a suit of rusty armor after 1-2 seasons.
I still have it crumpled up in a storage bin somewhere, but I can probably toss it/donate it.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Are we talking of time linearly, or usage?

My RC F Bombs have a pretty great track record. Multiple years until the zipper corroded, which can be largely attributed to me. But I don't surf all that frequently anymore.

Should a suit last 3 years if it's only used 30xs or less per year compared to double or triple that?

elcalvo

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2004
NE
There is no one size fits all answer.
How often do you use it?
When you take it off, are you careful or do you stretch it to the max pulling it off.
Do you rinse it well and hang it up to dry or leave it wet and sandy in the back of the truck for weeks on end?
(Especially relevant if you frequently pee in the suit just before you get out of the water) :shameonyou:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
My general rule is two seasons all toasty and comfy. I usually get a third season out of them but by then I might get some leaking seams, holes in the knees or just general degradation of the rubber. After the third season the suit usually moves into the rotation as a "mid season" suit. The present one is at the tail end of 2 and 1/2 seasons, but this season is going long. Still firikin cold around here (upper50's). But still getting nice swell so I'm not complaining.

I'll mention that I'm in a $500 top of the line E bomb and while it is warm and comfy, it is not lasting any longer than the $150 back zip Rip Curl I had previously.

Reactions: Fishyhb