How far do you live from "your local" surf spot?

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
2.5 mi to the ocean, 4 miles to my childhood local, about 10-15 minutes to 12 or so breaks I consider myself a local or regular.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
When visiting San Diego, I noticed a general rule that the closer you live to your local beach, the more local you are. In Hawaii, I used to think the darker the skin the more local you are. Of course there are many exceptions to the rule.
Lol, used to point out my apartment on the side of the hill from the lineup when challenged by someone claiming “more local”.

funniest was the old timers who call out fellow old timers who moved to Carlsbad but still drive down to their old break to surf.

mostly tho, as long as you play by the rules, this locality challenge never comes up. another funny version of ”who lives closer” is knowing when the local developments significantly changed like before an old restaurant closed down or bakery expanded its square footage by taking over the neighbors unit.

Last edited:

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
1 mile to a stretch of bb that is fun more often than not.

Last edited:

Witchipoo

Michael Peterson status
Jun 16, 2010
East of Malibu
There's a moustached guy there right now who always wears soccer jerseys now riding a keel fish who was always kind of a hog. He now has posted himself at the top of the pecking order for 2nd shift. He paddles back to the top every time and takes every wave.
See, this is EXACTLY the sort of behavior I was talking about on the thread about competitiveness, and your position was that anyone who doesn't like it is just a jealous loser who can't compete. :roflmao: :roflmao:

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
I moved kind of far inland to afford a house (7.5 mi to the nearest beach as the crow flies) and I'm not a local anywhere, just a regular.

My winter regular is a 20 minute drive, summer regular 30-40 depending on the time of day. Looking forward to a walk or bike ride to surf someday...

Reactions: ReForest

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
20 minute walk to the ocean (no surf spot). 10-15 minute drive to surf in the early AM. 15-20 minutes later in the morning. 45-60 minutes to nearest destination spot.

I consider myself a local at three spots. Meaning when I paddle out there will always be people I know or recognize. Actually at one of the spots the crew I knew has really dwindled. Too old? Moved away? Going to different spots? Even at these spots there are different groups at different times of the day. I noticed that now that I am not consigned to dawn patrol weekends.

Last edited:
Reactions: sdsrfr and Boneroni